5,6, or 7 years ??

petepete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since I removed the sd cards from 2 side cameras on the car.

Last three hours of perfect files there.

No other camera has ever proved to be so reliable and I doubt footage is much better from cameras all these years on !!!

I think my oldest 'A' is about 5 years old. Most of the rubber coating worn off of the case. Still works. I had it running in the truck for a few days a week ago.

Here's an old, free, 'travel humidor' that came with some cigars, that holds 5 Mobiuseseseses. :)
(One more is mounted in my truck)

mob.jpg

Been 4 years for me so far. I did want to ask, should I doing firmware updates on my Mobius? and whats the process. I'm guessing this will improve quality issues that may have slightly gone down during that span? (Mobius 2 Action Cam)

I purchased mine in 2008, both still functioning. The only issues I've had were a loose power socket tensioner tab on the front view cam, and one SD card failed. And yeah --- The "gooey case"! I've had that issue too, but took care of it with some denatured alcohol and lots of elbow grease. They're shiny now, but at least they don't stick to my hands anymore when I carry them in for downloads.
EDIT: One more issue I've had that I forgot about -- Florida is close to the Sun, and the holder had warped (melted). I had to take a heat gun to it so it would hold the cam snugly.

I purchased mine in 2008, both still functioning. The only issues I've had were a loose power socket tensioner tab on the front view cam, and one SD card failed. And yeah --- The "gooey case"! I've had that issue too, but took care of it with some denatured alcohol and lots of elbow grease. They're shiny now, but at least they don't stick to my hands anymore when I carry them in for downloads.
EDIT: One more issue I've had that I forgot about -- Florida is close to the Sun, and the holder had warped (melted). I had to take a heat gun to it so it would hold the cam snugly.

FWIW, I've owned quite a few Mobius cameras since they first were introduced seven years ago and have never had one get gooey on me and I've had mine in all kinds of environments and conditions but there have indeed been a few reports about the problem here on DCT. There's some evidence it involves contact with some sort of contaminate such as insect repellent or other solvent on your fingers when handling the camera at some point.

Anyway, you didn't really have to go to all that trouble to clean up your Mobius case. You can order a spare replacement case for about 3 bucks from Bangood (and elsewhere). Several times over the years Mobius (Eletoponline365 on eBay) has sent me a spare case along with lens modules I've ordered, so I have a small collection. I think they were doing that for a while after they transitioned to the new module and case design to make sure you'd have a case that would fit the new module design.

mobius-case.jpg

Trust me, the rubberized coating does get sticky down here in SW Florida, the "Land of the midnight sauna". And it only took a couple of years while serving as dashcams. My theory is that high humidity might speed this process up too. I do have a spare case, as I purchased one for the wife's car, but it turned out to be counterfeit -- so I gutted it and kept the case and mount. But I'm not going to keep changing the case, when all I need to do is remove the goo. The guts still need to come out to clean the case anyhow -- but at least it's just a one-time operation. It does take a lot of rubbing to remove it, but the end result is worth it.

You can order a spare replacement case for about 3 bucks from Bangood (and elsewhere). Several times over the years Mobius (Eletoponline365 on eBay) has sent me a spare case along with lens modules I've ordered, so I have a small collection. I think they were doing that for a while after they transitioned to the new module and case design to make sure you'd have a case that would fit the new module design.
I think there are at least three different case designs, to suit various lens modules that have been sold over the years. My original 2013 lens module, from a case with the round hole, does not fit properly in the new cases. However, a little bit of DIY to adapt the internal module holders is usually enough to make things work.

My oldest Mobius case is a bit tacky on the outside, but not so bad that it needs replacing. Maybe in another 7 years time?

Which version did you buy in 2008? The Mobius 1 was released in 2013.
You're correct. I posted "2008" in error. I just checked my "favorites" to see exactly WHEN I watched (and saved) Techmoan's review of it was because I purchased the first one after watching that review.... It was 2013. I never owned the "808 16" keychain camera that I recall I was researching when I found his review of the Mobius. I apologize for the confusion this surely caused. Both of my car-mounted cams are the narrow-lens, first gen versions.
The "sticky" case was actually sort of useful, as the mount warped out of shape in the hot pickup... And the 'tacky' case helped keep them from moving in the mounts. After I cleaned mine, they were loose in the mounts and I had to re-stress the warped mount with a heat gun to maintain a grip on the cam.

(Old thread, sorry). I have two very old mobius cameras used as dash cam full-time. South Georgia heat has turned the exterior of both cameras into a gooey sticky mess. Since it appears replacement cases have the same silly "soft touch" vinyl, I guess I'm forced to disassemble these and scrub them up. grrrrr

There is some evidence that the sticky silicone coatings that have been reported by some Mobius camera owners may have been due to one or more bad manufacturing batches rather the being typical of all the tens of thousands of them that have been sold over the last nine years. Despite periodic reports of this problem the issue doesn't appear to be widespread. AFAIK, most of these reports have been with older cameras of a certain earlier vintage but there is no way to know exactly what years these reported cams were all purchased.

I've probably owned about ten different Mobius 1 cameras of various vintages since they were first introduced and have never had one get gooey or sticky on me despite the extreme conditions they've been operated under. For years I've also carried a Mobius as a pocket camera and while the finish is badly scratched, worn and battered it has never become sticky.

Last edited:
The alcohol suggestion seems to have worked great. Moderate wiping with alcohol and paper towels has removed all of the goo. I never tried cleaning them off before, since they just lived above the windshield. I recall they did come with the "mouse fur" soft touch coating, whatever it is. But all is well now, the goo came off easily.

Back