5-7s files when in parking mode plus a couple of other issues...

Ben_W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So,

Finally pulled my finger out and got my 512GW and rear camera installed

Generally pretty happy with it. As with a lot of people, I'm getting numerous files when parked with seemingly nothing activating them. I watched a couple with the car parked on the drive from last night and there's nothing there, as none of the security lights come on....

I did notice I get a lot of files between 5 and 7 seconds long. Now I was of the thought that if the camera did trigger, it would record a file for a set length of time (2 mins I thought?). Where do the very short length files come from then?

It's hard wired to a permanent live, one that doesn't even cut when cranking. It starts up when the ignition is turned in and then shuts down when I turn the ignition off, so im confident I've got it wired correctly.

I've also noticed that it's not recording any files when I'm pressing the '!' button, so I'm not sure it's recording when it should be. Encountered a couple of idiots on the motorway this morning and pressed the ! button but on checking, it didn't save anything. Again, Am I doing something wrong here? If for example I witnessed an accident but I wasn't involved and it didn't trigger the G sensor, how would I get it to save the recording, assuming it was recording in the first place?

Thanks,

Ben

It should be recording all the time you're driving so as long as you have a decent size memory card no need to specifically press to save, just take the unit indoors and offload the card contents.

I'll check this morning that it starts recording and I'll take it out and see what I capture when I get to work. I've a 70 mile drive each way every day.

It's got a 128mb memory card in it. Was a very decent spec class 10 high speed read/write one. Pretty sure it's a Toshiba one.

What brand and size SD card do you have? Are you able to provide a photo of both sides?

Pics of the memory card as requested. Came from a reputable source (well, I hope so...Lyreco, our work stationary supplier....)

Not checked if there are any more files of 5-7s. What I did notice over the course of about 10 days, is I've amassed nearly 350 protected files, most of which are when the car is stood in parking mode. In this pic, you can see it was recording files pretty much every half hour most of the night. Overnight, the car lives on the drive in a very quiet cul-de-sac.

It's also taking between 5 & 10 mins to get a GPS fix when first driving off.....

Otherwise, it seems to function fine. Plenty of video files suggesting it's recording ok.....

One snag looming though is that SDCards have a limited write life (300 to 500 cycles) and yours is being hammered nightly.

How are you wired, power off with ignition or permanent 12v supply ?

Permanent 12v supply from the fusebox

It's also taking between 5 & 10 mins to get a GPS fix when first driving off.
GPS will take a lot more time to lock on if you are moving.
How it works (simplistically) is by triangulating your location with at least three sats to get a 2D fix and four sats for a 3D fix.
If the 'fixed' GPS receiver (your device) is also moving, then everything in the calculations are moving with no fixed reference so consequently the fix takes a lot longer.

The solution is to either wait for a fix before you drive off or put up with the extended fix time.

But it's not K. It's only recording short clips. It seems like the oversensitive G sensor rearing its ugly head again. But don't worry about that, Nextbase will replace it:devilish:

Hmm, roughly every 25 minutes.

Back