512 GW acting up

Pecon

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I took my wife's car out today and noticed that the speed readings were half what the car speedo was. I tried rebooting but there was no improvement. I removed the camera to clear it and when I played the videos every one ran at least double speed. I had downloaded videos from it last week and all was well, as were the speedo readings when driving. I tried a number of different viewers but the speed was the same with all. The videos from my own 512 show no problems when played using the same software.

Hi there,

I'm a little confused by the above. Are you:
1) Having an issue with an incorrect speed (kph/mph) reading on playback footage?
2) When playing footage on your PC, the footage itself is played at faster than normal (like it's been fast forwarded)? This would mean that Time Lapse is turned on.

Thanks,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie. I rang your support (really should have done this before posting) and you are correct about the Time Lapse being switched on. However the issue with the incorrect speed being displayed continues. Your colleague asked if the sat indicator was flashing or solid which I was unsure about. However checking today it is solid and still reading about half the speed on the car speedo. It has been working perfectly for several months without issue until this week. Can the sat receivers go faulty as it has not been moved?.

It's not something really silly like a mix up between MPH and KPH is it? MPH is about half KPH.
And I am not trying to insult your setting up abilities, but things like that do happen.

Hi Pecon,

Do you have your speed on the Dash Cam set to KPH or MPH? It could be that the reading number ways is correct on playback, but the unit behind it is not correct? In which case that'd be a bug for me to report to the development team.

Thanks,
Millie

Thanks Millie. The unit is set in KPH and reading KPH. When I contacted Nextbase support I was informed that the issue is probably the GPS module. However the 512GW is no longer being supported and no spares are available!. This camera was only bought in late 2018 and my own just before that. Not exactly an endorsement of, or an encouragement to buy future models?.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've sourced a replacement GPS mount for you, i've private messaged you for your address.

Millie

Back