512 Upgraded 522

RoVic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Next Base 522GW
Hello all,
its been some time since I'd commented probably cause I'd not had anything to comment on!!! But I have been following the threads on NextBase.
I've been a "somewhat" own of the 512GW for a long time now and owned a rearview cam that Nextbase very kindly gave me free of charge with the great of Tiffany, Tiffany took the full brunt of problems when Nextbase introduced the rearview cam for the 512GW! Thanks for all your help Tiff.

Anyways I thought it'd time to upgrade, I'd seen the 522GW and once I'd seen it I wanted it! So I bought one from Halfords, I asked the sales person about the compatibility the 522 had with my 512 like my biggest concern was with the hardwiring like would it be just a matter unplugging from the 512 then plugging the lead into the new 522 he said yep that wouldn't be a problem! Cause I didn't want to disturb the original wiring for the 512.

Anyways I removed my faithful old 512 and installed the 522 only to discover the input power plug wouldn't fit the new 522 input power supply! so I had to modify the lead to fit the new 522.

Now if the salesman had real knowledge he would have known the difference between the two power supply's and I would have been prepared for the extra job of fitting it!
as it is now I have to remove the entire hardwire and replace it with the correct one for the new 522GW all because of the difference in the power input plug, so be warned people if you buy the new cam you'l need a new hardwire kit !!! it is possible to do a quick bodge but then its up to the individual

The original plug for the 512gw hardwire kit works perfectly fine it's just a little tight to push in. I was using my existing hard wire kit with my 522gw in my previous car. Haven't got round to fitting it in my replacement car as yet.

The original plug for the 512gw hardwire kit works perfectly fine it's just a little tight to push in. I was using my existing hard wire kit with my 522gw in my previous car. Haven't got round to fitting it in my replacement car as yet.

I was waiting for this one! yes it does work fine, but its not meant to be sticking straight out from the cam! plus it only fits if its made thinner using a stanly, but why should you, why couldn't it had been made truly compatible with the 512? I like to see things looking smart and fitted correct the only way to do this is to refit the hardwire with the correct one ....

I was waiting for this one! yes it does work fine, but its not meant to be sticking straight out from the cam! plus it only fits if its made thinner using a stanly, but why should you, why couldn't it had been made truly compatible with the 512? I like to see things looking smart and fitted correct the only way to do this is to refit the hardwire with the correct one ....
Yes the new kit is designed to use a right angles plug rather than a straight one. But to say the plug will only got by modifying itt is incorrect. As I've sated it works perfectly fine it's just a little tight getting it in. Once it's in there is no need to unplug it again. So it's not exactly the end of the world.

Yes the new kit is designed to use a right angles plug rather than a straight one. But to say the plug will only got by modifying itt is incorrect. As I've sated it works perfectly fine it's just a little tight getting it in. Once it's in there is no need to unplug it again. So it's not exactly the end of the world.

Whats the point, you do it your way I'll do it mine !! your right I'm wrong, your right its not the end of the world but it'd the end of a warranty if it damages the unit !!!! at the end of the day that plug is "not" meant to be fitted into the new 522 bracket....

Whats the point, you do it your way I'll do it mine !! your right I'm wrong, your right its not the end of the world but it'd the end of a warranty if it damages the unit !!!! at the end of the day that plug is "not" meant to be fitted into the new 522 bracket....
No need to get snotty over it. The plug fits perfectly fine as I stated and won't damage the unit. The plastic is a little wider and a snug fit but the connector fits fine. If its that much of an issue then purchase the correct hard wire kit. It's only the same as not being able to use the existing rear camera cable with the new device (but the 512gw caner cable left a lot to be desired. With better models some features are made better and as such won't be a complete fit with existing kit.

Hi there,

Thanks for your comments fellas.

I just wanted to make you aware that:

1) The connector moldings are different between the Series 1 and Series 2 Hard Wire Kits.
2) The 2 kits provide different current supply. If you have a 522GW and a rear camera, the old Series 1 Hard Wire Kit will not supply enough voltage for the cameras to fully function as they were designed for the Series 1 Cameras, not the more power hungry Series 2.

Regards,
Millie - Nextbase

Well, I've been using the 512 hardwire kit, since day of release of the 522 and rear windscreen camera module, and never run into a problem.
Both are 5vdc and 1.5amp according to all the specs.

Well, I've been using the 512 hardwire kit, since day of release of the 522 and rear windscreen camera module, and never run into a problem.
Both are 5vdc and 1.5amp according to all the specs.
As above I've used my series 1 hardwire kit and it has worked without any issue.

I used a small flat needle file to re shape the sides of my old series 1 mini usb connector so it goes into my 422gw with no issues

No need to get snotty over it. The plug fits perfectly fine as I stated and won't damage the unit. The plastic is a little wider and a snug fit but the connector fits fine. If its that much of an issue then purchase the correct hard wire kit. It's only the same as not being able to use the existing rear camera cable with the new device (but the 512gw caner cable left a lot to be desired. With better models some features are made better and as such won't be a complete fit with existing kit.

Mr Fixit ........ !!!

Back