512gw and rear view problem

RoVic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Next Base 522GW
Both the front and rear view are working flawlessly but the only problem I have is with the rear view, when it gets warm in the motor the cam doesn't hold firmly in the holder! it just drops giving a view of the boot !! anybody else having this problem ??

Not a problem for me. In fact position has stayed same despite numerous opening and closing of tailgate.

Can you explain more? Which bit comes off? It seems pretty rock solid to me. With all this hot weather in the UK and had no problem at all.

Can you explain more? Which bit comes off? It seems pretty rock solid to me. With all this hot weather in the UK and had no problem at all.

I never said anything comes off ! I said "with mine" when it gets hot / warm the holding knuckle doesn't hold the cam ball as it should cause when shutting the rear hatch the cam drops (not came off) pointing towards the floor .......now if yours is rock solid then yours is a better fitting ball and knuckle then mine (y)

My rear camera has dropped off five times now !!!!! The bracket does not stick well enough to the plastic above the rear window. Fitted by Halfords who I cannot fault, all wired in properly with enough wire to allow the boot to open and shut with no tension to the wire. It's the adhesive pad used to hold it in place thats the problem. Initially I thought it was the extreme heat but it's cooler now and its still dropped off this afternoon.

The problem with sticking it to the plastic trim is that it is usually textured so can't get a good hold. I have mine stuck to the glass and not had a problem.

It's worth noting that whatever surface you stick it to, you should give it a good clean to remove any dirt, dust or grease before hand.

My rear camera has dropped off five times now !!!!! The bracket does not stick well enough to the plastic above the rear window. Fitted by Halfords who I cannot fault, all wired in properly with enough wire to allow the boot to open and shut with no tension to the wire. It's the adhesive pad used to hold it in place thats the problem. Initially I thought it was the extreme heat but it's cooler now and its still dropped off this afternoon.

Is the plastic rough? The intended location, the window, is smooth.

I can try sending you a different type of adhesive if you like?

Email us on support@nextbase.co.uk referencing this.

Mine is stuck onto plastic trim of the high level brake light and I've had no issues. Although I can't remember if it is smooth plastic off hand.

I've had more trouble on the front windscreen in the heat. Sucker was always falling off. Got Tiffany to send me a sticky mount and mostly that's good although on a very hot day the adhesive pad was stuck to windscreen and plastic mount had come off hanging on by just one edge.

Stuck it back on and it's been fine since.

My experience.
Initially I used the rear bracket and found it needed relocated.
I found the pad had stuck very solidly to the rear window (which I had cleaned twice with isopropyl alcohol) but it was very easy to peel off the bracket.
In defence of the producers, some plastics can 'bleed' following moulding or when exposed to extreme heat but it is a short term issue and easily cleaned away.

I would think twice before attaching the bracket to plastic trim as trim is designed to flex which is why it isn't glued but attached with spring clips and plastic pegs.

Surely glass is the only way to go. Under what scenario would you put it on plastic?

I found the pad had stuck very solidly to the rear window ... but it was very easy to peel off the bracket.
That's what happened to mine. Sticky pad stayed stuck to glass. Mount/camera fell off sticky pad.

Surely glass is the only way to go. Under what scenario would you put it on plastic?
I've stuck mine onto the plastic trim of the high level brake light as my rear window is rather small and I want it as unobtrusive as possible. Had no issues with vibration or falling off.

some people prefer to put it on a trim piece at the roof liner edge (if the car has it) as opposed to the bootlid, so that opening and closing the bootlid doesn't affect the cam (in hatchbacks)

Also some with a tinted rear screen prefer not to attach to the glass to avoid possible tint damage upon removal if they sell the car

Well if you're going to talk sensible.

'Factory fit' tint won't be damaged by attaching a sticky pad to it.:D

Thank you Tiffany

Thank you Tiffany for your quick service, the pads arrived today and I’ve installed the camera on the rear window this time. Hopefully all will be ok now. I’m very pleased with this model as it works very well and both cameras give very clear images.

I trimmed 50% of the raised edge off the pad attachment and also thinned down the outer edge.
This enabled me to tuck half of the pad attachment under the upper trim tight to the frame edge to achieve a very neat installation.

Just reviewed my latest front and rear footage and the picture quality is excellent.
My only problem iis everything is being viewed in Quicktime (on a Mac* ) as the replay from the CD wouldn't load grrrrr!
Now I have discovered that I require the Replay 3 software and there is my next problem......loading time????
I have been waiting 47mins and so far nothing has happened????

* Macbook Pro El Captan.

Update;
Decided to telephone N'Base, Ryan answered and talked me through a few checks while trying the download on the office Mac, he advised reloading Replay 3, and it download in a few seconds as we cleared up other matters.
Brilliant service what more can I say, many thanks to the whole NB team.

Last edited:
I could not stick mine to rear glass as I have radio aerial in the glass and camera caused interference, so I had to go onto plastic trim above.
As I was worried about the unit dropping off I removed plastic trim cleaned with alchol the positioned unit in correct position, I then applied two spring clips and left it in cool place for 24 hours, then refitted everything and I have had no problems at all with unit staying in place, also the plastic is textured, so far so good, fingers crossed.

Back