512GW Blurry/Out of Focus

orlok1984

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Refitted my 512GW having updated the firmware to latest using Replay 3, and just taken a look at the footage - can't tell if this picture is acceptable, or a problem with the unit (out of focus issue) ? Any idea how to fix/improve?

512GW A.PNG

That focus have gone, and not even closed the door behind it.
As seen most often it look like the focus have shifted to a near bias

You can refocus the lens yourself if you are out of warranty, but you need to take the camera apart, and then "unlock" the lens which are often secured with some glue on the thread, and then you need to turn the lens so its in focus again, this are most often very few degrees you have to turn it.

You will find many videos on youtube on how to do this in various little cameras that most often use the same kind of 12 mm fine thread lenses.
when done you need to lock the lens again, do not use CA glue ASO to this, the fumes might ruin lens coatings, it do not have to be a super stong glue you use, its just there so the lens can not rattle loose from minor vibrations in a car.

Hi,

This could be a couple of things. What Firmware are you now on please, is it R22.5? Is the Polarising Filter attached to the camera? Have you tried adjusting the filter? Is the lens dirty?

Please call us directly on 02920 866429 (UK) and we can talk you through the troubleshooting.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

Hi,

This could be a couple of things. What Firmware are you now on please, is it R22.5? Is the Polarising Filter attached to the camera? Have you tried adjusting the filter? Is the lens dirty?

Please call us directly on 02920 866429 (UK) and we can talk you through the troubleshooting.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support
FW R22.5
Polarising filter attached, and have adjusted.
Cleaned lens.

Thank you, will give the number a call - I bought the 512GW from Halfords a couple of years ago, so will be out of warranty :(

That focus have gone, and not even closed the door behind it.
As seen most often it look like the focus have shifted to a near bias

You can refocus the lens yourself if you are out of warranty, but you need to take the camera apart, and then "unlock" the lens which are often secured with some glue on the thread, and then you need to turn the lens so its in focus again, this are most often very few degrees you have to turn it.

You will find many videos on youtube on how to do this in various little cameras that most often use the same kind of 12 mm fine thread lenses.
when done you need to lock the lens again, do not use CA glue ASO to this, the fumes might ruin lens coatings, it do not have to be a super stong glue you use, its just there so the lens can not rattle loose from minor vibrations in a car.
Thanks Kamkar - if I don't get anywhere with Nextbase support, I'll give those tips a go!

Back