512GW exposure settings - too bright during the day and too dark at night

SGM26

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
512GW + Rear Camera
I'm having trouble with the exposure on my 512GW.

At the default '0' setting it's a little overexposed during the day however at night the camera struggles to record any detail. Raising the exposure remedies this however when used during the day I need to lower it again (to either 0 or -1) or the video will be washed out.

Quite often I will forget to change it to an appropriate setting and upon looking at my footage it is either over or under exposed. Leaving it set at '0' works but is hardly a perfect solution nor is manually changing the exposure each time.

Is there no way to have the camera detect light conditions and automatically set exposure to an appropriate level?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Can you take a screen shot of one of your files so I can take a look?

Have you got the polarising filter fitted?

Yes, the polarising filter is still fitted.

Can this be removed without affecting camera function? It came pre-attached in the box so I assumed it was supposed to stay fitted.

Edit: Tried to upload screenshots but it made them tiny, please see here:

Day
Night

Both clips are with the exposure setting at '0' and with the filter still attached (rotated to 90° to reduce as much glare\reflections as possible).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Looks about normal to me.

Weather and light play a big part in the quality of the footage.

For daytime you want as little sky as possible really viewable for best results but your screen shot shows a lot of dashboard so can't really go much lower.

Back