512GW from new random recording even at night.

cypher007

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought a 512gw for the missus back in 2018 Christmas.

after a while I started to be suspicious of the cam recoding randomly, as on a few occasions ive noticed the screen light up while ive been outside near the car.

today I pulled the card and found recordings even at 3am. I do have parking recording enabled, but I have a second older 512gw setup the same which doesn't do the same thing. also to assure this isn't a vehicle thing, we had to change cars this year and its still doing it.

one odd thing is some of the recordings are almost bang on 30mins apart.

Blimey I’ve stumped even nextbase.

After 4 months, it appears not. Have you contacted NB about it?

My device is not hardwired for parking mode so I can't comment. Is there a setting to adjust the sensitivity? Perhaps reflection of lights or animals is triggering it?

Edit: After reviewing the manual I can see there is no adjustment on the parking mode sensitivity.

Last edited:
I seem to recall this phenomenon being reproduced by Tiffany on her desk but obviously never resolved

I have something similar to this as well.
Set it to parking mode and I check it in the morning and it appears to have recorded constantly all night.

Last edited:
Hello,

Please check your camera is on firmware R22.5.
1) Turn the Dash Cam on
2) Stop it recording
3) Press the Menu Button Twice to enter the Setup Menu.
4) Scroll down to ‘System Info’
5) Look at the Firmware number RXX.XX

Please check whether you are using a Hard Wire Kit or Cigarette Lighter Cable. If it's a Hard Wire Kit, your car may be having voltage fluctuations which would randomly turn the camera on. If this is the case, please contact us directly and we can go through the troubleshooting. (02920 866429, support@nextbase.com)

Have you also checked your SD card to ensure it has the minimum specification requirements? The 512GW requires a minimum 8GB U1 SD card. We'd recommend at least a 32GB U1 or U3 SD card.
Regards,

Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

Thanks for the response, I’ll take a look and update.

Hi,
Thanks for the help.

I’ve checked the firmware and it is indeed R22.5.

It appears to less be random events but constantly recording every 2 mins in parking mode for anything between 10 seconds to 1 min 30.
I’ve checked the footage and there doesn’t appear to be anything that’s triggering it maybe strong winds but I thought it would record for 2 mins in parking mode and then keep going if any movement is still detected.

Not all the videos are protected either which seems odd.

I will give the support an email or call.

It is using a next base hardwire kit, going off a permanent live fuse (believe it is the central locking one). The idea was to have power for any events picked up in parking mode.

Hello,

I think it'd be easier for us to troubleshoot this issue via the telephone. Please call our Support Team on 02920 866429 (UK) and we'll be able to go through your whole set-up and locate where the issue lies.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

Back