512GW odd failures

AlanJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a recent journey the dash cam appears to have failed twice. References relate to dash cam folder jpg screen capture below. In the first instance it just stopped recording 3/4 through the journey TO our destination (point #1) We arrived approx. 12:10 and the vehicle was parked until about 14:00 (point #3). But right in the middle of the parked period a zero length file was recorded at 12:59 (point #2). Engine was restarted (point #3) and our journey home recording as usual until 14:36 when it stopped (point #4). Our journey actually finished around 15:45 (called at Tesco) then journey home resumed - no recording at all and we arrived home at around 16:50. Odd file recorded at point #5.

Does anyone recognise a pattern or behaviour this could be attributed to. Would love to go out and try again but are now housebound due to virus issues.

Any help appreciated

Alan.StoppedRecording.jpg

Hi Alan,

What SD card are you using in your 512GW please? Size, make, model etc.
What Firmware is your 512GW on please?
How old is your SD card and how often do you format the card?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie, sorry for the delay, the answers you wanted are:

The SD card is Sandisk Ultra 128GB class 10 A1 bought and installed March 2018.
The 512GW was bought February 2018 and the firmware version is R22.5
The card is reformatted approx. every month or so.

Regards,
Alan.

Right, this could be as simple as a corrupted SD card.

I'd recommend trying a different Dash-Cam compatible SD card. If you'd like to message me your full name and address, I'll get one sent to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

How do I PM you, or do I have to put my full name and address into this public thread?

Send one direct to millie herself mate if you just click on her username and private message with your relevant information

But it's called 'Start a conversation' NOT Private Message.

Yes that's right. That's what I said didnt I?

Today the dashcam failed during a 6 miles trip but noticed at the start of the return journey home the speed indicated 0 and stayed that way. Stopped part way home and the unit would not respond to any touch buttons, would not turn off even when unplugged. Got home unit placed on my desk and still remained on for about half an hour. Unit was then able to switch on and immediately complained battery was low, obviously it previously stayed on until battery died.

Last edited:
A further update of this peculiar problem.

Again the unit locked up. I don't drive watching the dashcam but we went to the shops (15minute drive), did shopping, drove home and on the way home noticed the default MPH display was sat on 0.

All buttons inoperative, lights blink when touched but no bleep and no action. Cannot turn turn the unit off, even when completely unplugged from rear camera and mount. The unit will remain like this until the internal battery dies. After which it will then switch on as normal, and of course, not unexpectedly, complain the battery is low!

I am beginning to suspect the cable connecting the two cameras. Reason? because this issue only seems to occur when the tailgate is operated and thus the cable is being flexed. The final clip from the unit, which ends at the point of fail, shows the tailgate being closed, and then the image freezes. Time digits then scramble. The clip ends at, I guess, the usual overrun period. If anyone is interested I could YouTube the relevant clip.

My disbelief is that if this is a cable issue, what sort of a cable issue could it be that even after disconnection the unit is still locked and nothing functions until the unit dies with a dead battery? Obviously there is something really obscure going on that causes the software to lockup. Just noticed the little RESET button on the underside of the unit. I will continue to use the unit in the hope it will lockup again and then I will try see of the RESET button does anything useful/interesting and report back.

For your interest the cable connecting the front unit to the rear camera is routed above the ceiling liner to the rear of the vehicle whence it meets up with and is tie wrapped to the main cable form passing from main chassis to the tailgate. This mass of cables carries rear brake light power, rear wiper motor power, number plate illumination power, power to the tailgate electric lock and power to the heated rear screen. The route and anchoring of this cable form is clearly designed with consideration to the inevitable flexing as the tail gate is opened and closed, and certainly none of the original cables has shown any issues over the 16 year life of the vehicle. There is no issue with the plug and connector on the rear camera as the cable and the camera move as one when the tailgate operates. This is a very attractive installation and well out of sight and harms way, and applies no more stress to the Nextbase cable that to the OEM cables of the vehicle.

Back