512GW Parking mode - please explain?

Andehh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am feeling very thick this evening, so please bare with me!

Our new S max was damaged in a car park a few days after we bought it, a dashcam with parking mode would have captured it! :( Sadly, lesson learnt now.

We have the 512gw and our cars cigarette lighter stays on after the car is ignition off. I have only just realized this. By the looks of it, the camera stays powered for around 2-3 hours before i presume the car turns the cigarette lighter off.

Now rather then waste 2-3 hours of footage after every journey, I am wondering if 'Parking Mode' will help here? After 2-3 hours the car will kill the dashcam but 90% of our park ups are aroudn town etc, so 2-3 hours is plenty of time.

With parking mode then, am I right in thinking we stop the car and leave it, after 15mins it will go into standby mode and only turn on & record a protected file if an impact is detected? Is this via G sensor, or via motion?

Many thanks,

With parking mode then, am I right in thinking we stop the car and leave it, after 15mins it will go into standby mode and only turn on & record a protected file if an impact is detected? Is this via G sensor, or via motion?

Many thanks,

it will only go into that mode once power is cut, so 2-3 hours after you park and the power goes off then that function would begin to work

Yes parking mode will turn the deice off if there is no movement detected - you're correct.

This option is in the first menu, it is G-Sensor triggered so forward/backwards or left/right movement.

Thanks Tiffany, sorry is that in response to my post or to Jokkin's?

To yours @Andehh sorry for the confusion, I should have said.

Parking mode will turn the Dash Cam off if no physical movement is detected.

Thanks very much, I thought so and that would work well for us. When i tried it though, the dashcam seemed to turn off ok, but then the next time we got in the car to drive off it stayed turned off.

Just to re-iterate, the cigarette socket stays on for a couple of hours after we leave the car.

So i expected the Dashcam to stay on for 15mins ish, then turn into standbye mode until motion is detected. At which point it turns on, does it's thing and turns off.

We would then get in the car to drive off, and the dashcam would detect the motion and turn itself on. <--- except it didnt & stayed off.

It should do - did you drive away or just get in your car?

What version of firmware is on the Dash Cam?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

It is the latest firmware, I updated it to allow me to use a 128gb card. If there is later firmware since last week when i did this, I will check when my wife is back tomorrow evening.

Back