512GW recording mode

itekweni

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 402G & 512GW
Hi any one explain how to stop dashcam from recording LO as well as Hi videos as this will be taking unnecessary space on SD card...thanks in advance

If you are using the latest firmware then you cannot stop the 2 files being created simultaneously.

If you really want to remove the LO files, then you will have to roll back the firmware (search the forum, there is a thread for the 512GW regarding this somewhere).

Thanks for quick response I thought there might have been somewhere in the settings but if the only way is to roll back firmware then it looks like I will have to live with it even though it takes up space recording twice which would have a negative affect on space when using rear camera when it becomes available ...cheers

This mandatory dual recording seems very unpopular judging by the posts here.

Maybe NB should have seeked views here first before implementing it as they now have us on old firmware.

I agree especially if one get the rear camera half of the recording time will go towards these unwanted files

I agree @Kremmen and based on this feedback the development team are including this option in the next firmware. If there is anything you're not happy with or have any ways of making better for you please let me know.

@itekweni when the rear cam is added on the 512GW you won't have the option for dual file recordings, there will be one front and one rear only.

Last edited:
Thanks for update so will wait for rear camera

That’s good to hear Tiffany that the development team have listened to the people who buy & use their dash cams, nice to have the option to remove the dual file recordings I’m sure there are some people out there who like this function.

Of course - if something can’t be changed there’s usually a pretty logical reason behind it so always get ideas across at ways you feel the Dash Cam or firmware could work better for you.

Would be great if future nextbase dash cams come standard with the reflection free lens. If not possible then even if the premium models come with it so e.g 412gw onwards come standard with the reflection free lens but the 212 & 312 doesn't...

Now just the wait for rear camera to go on sale

Would also be better if we could turn off the Nextbase stamp... ;)

To be honest the nextbase stamp does not bother me as long as it records properly without the unnecessary LO files taking up space which according to nextbase will stop once rear camera is connected

Hi All,

I have just driven through the French and Italian Alps on my way to a friends apartment near Rome for Christmas and believed that my 32Gb card could record 5:30 hours at 1024p. Yes it can but this is reduced to less than 3 hours because of the lo res recordings! So, now I am really unhappy as ALL the lovely Alps footage has been overwritten. On research Tiffany said that they would try to implement the option to select whether or not to have lo res as well as hi res in the next firmware update - this did not happen! Tiffany also stated that they would try to add the option to remove the NextBase logo, this also did not happen!

I am really annoyed - Tiffany, listen to your customers and implement these changes otherwise I and others will go elsewhere, then where will you be? out of a job because sales slump and they cannot afford to keep you on the payroll?

Get the firmware sorted, give the customer the options he/she asks for. Otherwise mine is going back under warranty as it does not meet my expected requirements (and yes, I do have the original packaging!).

I think I'll use my old E -Prance GS6000 for the rest of my holiday and know, for sure, that I'll be getting my whole trip recorded!

Very annoyed...

Last edited:
I agree whats the point of have a large sd card when space gets taken by useless lo files

I know that the lo res are for wifi download but many of us are not interested in that. I can remove the card and connect it to my OTG smartphone and replay the hi res to an officer of the law on the spot (even if the dashcam got damaged in a crash!)...

The reason that I have two dashcams is that I use my E-Prance GS6000 in my car and bought the 512GW for my van. I thought that as I was going to Italy for Christmas I would use the 'superior' 512GW with the polariser. How wrong I was - I should have left the 512GW at home in the van - I'd have 1. No Nextbase logo. 2. Loads of space on a 32Gb hi speed card!

I can understand your frustrations on having lost video of your journey and as I also have the 402G which has served me well and given me long recording time i too am disappointed that 2 files are recorded and this shortening the sd recordings so hope that something is done soon to solve problem, I have been told that once rear camera is available and connected this lo file would go but if one does not buy the rear camera means we are stuck with a uselss lo recording

Same with the 412, loads of us have backed out to 9.5 firmware to avoid the SD card eating files, and too prominent logo.

As I said in earlier post I was told once rear camera is released then it would only record hi files but that does not help anyone who does not want or cannot afford the rear camera being stuck with useless files on sd card

Back