512GW recording mode

Hello and Welcome @Phil Humphreys :-D

I can see and understand each of your frustrations experienced above: and I can still help for future road trips you have.

At 1080p and 1440p the recording time is reduced with the dual recordings and because of feedback from this forum this had been added for the next release, as a matter of urgency.

I note you have the 32gb SD card, you are able to increase this to 128gb if you like, that would quadruple the length of time you are able to save on a single SD card before it over writes. An alternative of course is the option specifically for beautiful scenic drives: time lapse, this was included to enable customers to capture more of their more scenic routes if they choose (the option can be found in the secon menu). The option when activated records 6 frames per second and plays them back at 30 frames per second.

I would suggest for any future drives through the Alps are done in this mode, enabling you to utilise the 32GB card chosen to th best of its abilities.

The Nextbase logo doesn’t look like it will ever be removed from future firmwares; this doesn’t mean I am not relaying that it’s not what is preferred by customers.

An alternative if you don’t want to increase your SD card size is to revert to previous firmware versions as other customers have done for the interim period before a new version is released allowing dual recordings to be turned off like the 612GW.

There are options available to you, please let me know if I can help with anything.

Hi until the rear camera is release is it possible to get the last firmware file so that I can downgrade and whenever the rear camera is available and I have the pennies to get it I will then upgrade to the latest available firmware...thanks

The Nextbase logo doesn’t look like it will ever be removed from future firmwares; this doesn’t mean I am not relaying that it’s not what is preferred by customers.
Disappointed to hear that. :(

Hello Tiffany I did email support and that's where they told me that once rear camera is plugged in the lo files would be a thing of the past but I am still waiting for them to send me the file so i will email them again and keep you informed as to whether i get the last firmware

Last edited:
If you want to retain a Nextbase logo then can you offer where it appears.

There is loads of space in the lower info bar rather than in the main footage area.

An option for top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right.

Hi Tiffany,

I find that the 32Gb card is sufficient for most journeys as long as it is only recording one video, not two. Of course, if you wish to buy me a 128Gb card then I will be more than happy!

The last firmware update was supposed have resolved this two video problem but didn't. So, as a result I need the older firmware too (not just to have one video but to remove the logo too. I find it hard to understand why this cannot be removed in a future firmware update.
If this is not to be resolved I will have to return the device (and the hardwire kit, which is still boxed) as my E-Prance GS6000 does the same job very successfully, 5:30 at 1080p and no logo...

Time-lapse is not an option as I mainly use a dashcam for security and safety.

Phil.

I agree completely but it definitely depends on what your specific needs are as a customer, a beautiful drive is usually not wanted in its 32GB/64GB entirety but a snippet to grab the essence and beauty of what was experienced.

Since speaking to the team today I think there is becoming some movement on the logo; I can clarify this a little more on my return.

The dual files option to be remove was on the table however it wasn’t seen as a vital change, now since all of your feedback it is! Which is great news for everyone.

@itekweni looking back through the versions the logo was always present on released versions.

Tiffany my main reason for wanting the older version of firmware is so that i would not have the wasted lo files the logo is another story and when viewing files from my dashcam today can understand why people want it removed

The dual files option to be remove was on the table however it wasn’t seen as a vital change, now since all of your feedback it is! Which is great news for everyone.

if you remove this then no doubt you'll get a stack of complaints from people that want to use the wifi function to view files that can no longer do that due to the smaller files not being there, catch 22

That’s very true @jokiin that was a major complaint before the dual files were introduced, on the 612GW there is an option to turn it on/off in the menu. That’s what is going to filter down to the 4/512GWs.

on the 612GW there is an option to turn it on/off in the menu. That’s what is going to filter down to the 4/512GWs.

I think if they do it that way is the ideal solution, will suit both types of users then

That is what I was asking for. Not one option or the other but a choice in the menu. Same goes for the NextBase logo - if people want to keep it then let them, but for those that don't give them the option to remove it. It, to me, is much too intrusive and as mentioned before is too large and obscures an area that could be vital in evidence. It also spoils scenic footage that people may want to edit in video editing software for their own use...

My view is that you can introduce what you like but include an option to turn it off. If you insist on your logo, which as a company makes commercial sense, then allow us to specify where, as I mentioned.

Sounds like there is movement though :)

Good morning any one on here got the older firmware file for 512gw and would like to share because i am having problems getting it from Nextbase and would also like to say that i viewed old footage from my 402g and it was great without the nasty logo in corner

Ah yes the reason for this is the logo has always featured on the 512GW firmware, even the dual files.

It’s only the 412GW that can revert to older firmware to remove these I’m sorry.

If that was the case then people should be told before buying that half of sd storage would be taken up by useless files or Nextbase should have included a suitable sd card as part of package, I am now sorry that i upgraded from my old 402g to this one because to lose the lo files one will have to buy the rear camera...

Last edited:
Hi @itekweni

I can understand your frustration but I’d like to confirm a few things: Half of the card certainly isn’t wasted - after receiving lots of feedback from customers experiencing unnecessarily slow Wi-Fi file transfers we acted and introduced the dual file system which has completely eradicated this problem.

There are now a few customers like yourself who have no need for this, based on this we’re introducing the option to turn this feature off.

The dual file system has ALWAYS been in place on the 512GW hence in the manual it explains the card size and length of time that can be recorded on each size. See here: https://www.nextbase.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/NBDVR512GW-Instruction-Manual-English-R12.pdf

It would be difficult to include an SD card with the camera or have built in capacity as there isn’t a one size fits all SD. For example I drive 2 miles to work, totalling 4 miles a day this means I can happily live with an 8GB SD card. If I was forced to purchase a higher costing unit because it had an inbuilt 128GB I personally wouldn’t be impressed.

This way you and every other customer can purchase the SD card that suits their needs. Once I have a little more info in regards to when is his update expected, I will of. Course let you know.

You don’t need to purchase a rear cam when available to remove the dual files, the option is coming on firmware.

Back