512GW recording mode

I have given up waiting for this rear camera and or updated firmware to remove useless files and have made decision that this make of dash cam will be my last due to rubbish customer service, Tiffany has done her best to keep us updated but has been let down by Nextbase

Farmersden Thanks for information and I have sent you my email address

Sounds like someone at NextBase gets all excited and ahead of themselves ...

This was written in December 2017
"When the rear cam is added on the 512GW you won't have the option for dual file recordings, there will be one front and one rear only."
Unfortunately the rear camera is still not available some 6 months later.

This was written March 2018
"I can assure you it's coming though as some are done now"
Nearly June and still not able to update.

Tiffany is in a no win situation as she can only relay the information she is given, whoever gives her this information needs to be held accountable for giving it's customers
misleading information.

You're quoting two different things there Ian, one is for the Logo and the other is for the dual files.

Firmware R17.9?

So why can't we get it...

It's about time that Nextbase made it available for us all!

Thanks Tiffany, I've just seen it on the website.
No dual recording any more but we still have the 'NextBase' logo. Also my dashcam is randomly stopping recording and the screen turning on, I have to press the 'ok' button to get it to record again (which is a distraction and potentially dangerous...

What is going on?

Admittedly my 412gw has been running smoothly since the latest firmware update so I can’t answer that... yes having to press the ok button whilst driving isn’t a good idea, I’d revert that to R9.5 until the problem is resolved

No dual recording any more but we still have the 'NextBase' logo.

I had this discussion via email and telephone with NextBase a few weeks back, as it makes no sense to what they are doing. They have listened to their customers who would prefer not to have the LO-res video clips saved AND also to those customers who would prefer not to have the NextBase logo permanently displayed, but their implementation is downright weird.

All they had to do was upgrade the firmware to provide two more options:
1. Save LO-res clips? Yes or No
2. Display NextBase logo? Yes or No

Instead, they opted to provide a firmware upgrade that disables the LO-res clips on their website, AND also to provide a specific firmware version that doesn't display the NextBase logo, but only if you know about it, and email them to ask for it. So instead of having one firmware upgrade to test, they have had two upgrades to test. Time and money wasted, because if I have read it right, the firmware without the logo is a 'one-off', which means if you never want the logo displayed ever again, you are restricted to using this special firmware from now on. On the flip side, if a new firmware adds other features that you'd like, you have to choose; either 'new features' or 'no logo'.

I know they have deals with car insurers in the UK where you can get a discount if you have a Nextbase camera, having the logo in the video may have something to do with some of those deals, insurer has no real way to verify

I have a feeling that most peeps don't mind it being on the footage, it's where it is and the size that's the problem.

I have a feeling that most peeps don't mind it being on the footage, it's where it is and the size that's the problem.

yeah it's certainly a lot more overwhelming than the logos we use, we also have a user selectable on/off logo setting in the menu, I value the fact that are logo could appear in some video of importance and that could be beneficial for us for brand awareness, I respect people's right to turn that off though

yeah it's certainly a lot more overwhelming than the logos we use, we also have a user selectable on/off logo setting in the menu, I value the fact that are logo could appear in some video of importance and that could be beneficial for us for brand awareness, I respect people's right to turn that off though
But why is my 512GW suddenly stopping recording randomly, it can be after 5 mins or after a couple of hours! I am beginning to think that I have an ill designed product. If so then I will never buy NextBase again!

It is too obtrusive and could obscure vital footage, also why should people have to put up eith it if they have bought it for scenic purposes only!

Tiffany, please look into this and respond...

Vital footage in the Sky. Don't be silly; unless of course it's an F35 Lightning running at you at Mach 1.5.

Although, I, like many others, think it's far too intrusive.
I suppose it's to boost Nextbase's image with a bit of free advertising when peeps post clips of idiot driving on FB.

M8TJT, don't try to be a wise guy!

It could be anything from an object dropping from a building or bridge to an idiot throwing a brick at your vehicle. Think about other peoples input before trying to be so smart.

Free advertising is nothing to do with safety!

But why is my 512GW suddenly stopping recording randomly, it can be after 5 mins or after a couple of hours! I am beginning to think that I have an ill designed product. If so then I will never buy NextBase again!

I'm not sure how this relates to my logo comment you quoted, stopping randomly though is more often than not a memory card problem, what card are you using?

A bit late on replying to this, but I think you're way off on this. If people had been complaining about the size or location, then maybe Nextbase would have produced a one-off firmware upgrade that reduced the size and location. Instead, based on multiple people asking on here asking for the option to 'remove' the logo completely, they offered a one-off firmware upgrade to do exactly that, to remove the logo. As I've already stated previously, generating this specific firmware upgrade isn't a five minute job, and would have cost time and money to produce and test, so at least Nextbase listened to their customers, even though they took an unusual approach to implementing it. As Phil Humphreys also stated, it isn't just sky that is being recorded.

@Phil Humphreys it shouldn't be missing any, can you get in touch preferably over the phone so we can resolve this quickly for you? Our number is 02920 866 429, or we can call you - what ever is best for you.

Back