512GW recording mode

@Phil Humphreys it shouldn't be missing any, can you get in touch preferably over the phone so we can resolve this quickly for you? Our number is 02920 866 429, or we can call you - what ever is best for you.[/QUOT
@Phil Humphreys it shouldn't be missing any, can you get in touch preferably over the phone so we can resolve this quickly for you? Our number is 02920 866 429, or we can call you - what ever is best for you.
I reformatted the SD card, this seems to have fixed the problem. But when are we going to get a firmware update with the option to remove the logo?

To be honest when reviewing video I never notice the logo.

You might not, but apparently quite a few peeps do, including Phill Humphreys, who is concerned that
It could be anything from an object dropping from a building or bridge to an idiot throwing a brick at your vehicle.
He has a point.

Phil, the firmware with the option to remove the logo is already available.

As I stated in a previous response in this thread, it is a 'one-time' only upgrade. By that, I mean that it is based on the current firmware and will remove the logo, but you specifically have to request it through their ticket system, as it is not available to download from their website. It does not have the option to switch it on or off, it just removes it permanently. The problem arises when Nextbase next updates the current firmware, as it will be updating the one that is offered for download from their website, which still has the logo present. If you update the firmware to this newer one, you get the logo back plus whatever other things have changed.

So, for those wanting no logo, you can ask for the specific firmware to do it, but it then means that you can't avail of any new features any future firmware will offer unless you're prepared to get the logo back.

top left of screen apparently :p
Actually my pet peeve with practically all dash cams is the graphics and bright bits that get plastered all over the exterior. Just makes them very visible from outside. Always cover all these with black tape.

Thanks Steamship, but as I have stated in previous posts what most people are asking for is not just removal of the logo but to have the option to turn off dual (hi and lo res) recordings. Can you confirm whether this is possible with the 'one time upgrade' or not.

Cheers.

Hi Jokiin,

I am not interested in stickers, logos, etc on the body of the unit as long as it does what it says on the tin...

As with any dashcam that I buy the most important thing for me is that it is removable when I'm parked up so that either I can hide it or take it home to recover/transfer footage.

Thanks Steamship, but as I have stated in previous posts what most people are asking for is not just removal of the logo but to have the option to turn off dual (hi and lo res) recordings. Can you confirm whether this is possible with the 'one time upgrade' or not.

Cheers.

Phil, from what I've read and from what I've spoken to Nextbase about, my response back in post #70 (https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/512gw-recording-mode.32049/post-418603) sums up what Nextbase are providing for their customers:

1. A new firmware upgrade on their website that disables the LO-res clips + whatever other 'fixes' or updates they have made to the firmware.
2. A new firmware upgrade ONLY available via a request through their ticket system, which will disable the logo.

Going forward, only number 1 above will be updated and offered via their website, as per normal. Number 2 above was a 'one-off' to appease those wanting rid of the logo. It will never be updated.

What baffles me is that they took the time and money to develop number 2 above, in parallel with number 1 above, but it's only available to a select few (those who know about it) and has no future, when they could have implemented both and kept everyone happy.

So Nextbase Tiffany, after reading Steamship's above post, can you enlighten us as to why you spent resources on two firmware updates where one firmware update with both issues addressed would have appeased 99% of peoples issues with your product? (and been cheaper for you too most likely,).

Sorry guys but having veiwed all my recordings I can say in all honesty that I have never noticed the logo.
So for me it can stay where it is.

From my experience of technology providers Nextbase is up there with the very best in response time and problem solving and always seems prepared to go the extra mile.
Never has a tech manufacturer called me back following a phone call as Nextbase have done.
I know of no other company that has given a huge discount on an added extra (rear cam) as Nextbase has done to purchasers of the first 512GW (many, who like me didnt even know the intention of adding a rear cam when we made our purchase).

As for shiney logos and brand names on products, they are my pet hate and I always blank them out with a waterproof felt tip, Ive even blacked out the white end of my Sandisk!
Nextbase must realise users dislike flashy logos (as much as thieves love them) as the camera logos are on the bottom.

Yup, OCD! But can you guys going on about the appearance of the device stick to the issues discussed here or start your own thread on the cosmetic looks. Cheers.

@Phil Humphreys the reason its there has been posted but I have put below in case its got lost in the thread. Customers wanted an option to remove it and we do want to try and make all of our customers happy. We responded in a way that suits everybody. If a customer isn't happy with the Logo and contacts us about it we can send a version without. If they aren't bothered by it then they won't contact us about it and will have the most current available from the website.

There isn't going to be two firmware iterations running, there is just one version for someone who doesn't want the Logo. For the 512GW this should include Hi/Lo res removal too as that was introduced in 17.9 which is before the 18.0 (logo free) version.

"The logo being present helps us to recognise Nextbase footage when users upload it to YouTube etc., and then in some cases users give us permission to share the footage to highlight road safety issues – this is a good example of this We are aware that a very small minority of people weren’t happy with the fixed logo and we have a version of firmware available without it if necessary. "

Great Vid Tiffany. I note that the identifying NB logo is nice and discrete in the bottom left, out of the way and not obscuring any picture area. I fact just where peeps have been suggesting you put it rather than have is splashed all over the top left hand corner. This must be the best of both worlds for the NB logo haters and your good selves (NB)

Nextbase Tiffany,

I think some people are missing the simple point that I am making , why not have a firmware version that offers both options:- 1 turn on/off lo res recordings 2 turn on/off logo. This seems to me to be so simple but people seem to be confused by such a simple solution, what is wrong with people not understanding simple English and simple solutions!

why not have a firmware version that offers both options:- 1 turn on/off lo res recordings 2 turn on/off logo.
Except that then everyone would be able to turn off the logo without having to jump through hoops (and happen to bump into this forum) to get a version of the software that doesn't include the logo. It appears that NB are fighting tooth and nail against simple, logical suggestions Phil.

@Phil Humphreys let me reassure you nobody is missing the point, the decision was discussed deeply and this is the solution. The 512GW firmware does do both.

@M8TJT correct - if someone isn't bothered by it then the logo will remain. If they are and they go looking/contact us its there for them.

Thanks M8TJT, ther is someone out there that understands simplicity , reason and simple solutions. What is wrong with the world!

Back