512GW switching off

Pecon

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Recently noticed that when I start the car the 512GW runs for about a minute then switches off for another minute or two then back on again when it works fine for the remainder of the journey. This has only started recently and was fine for several months. Its wired through the ignition to the cigarette lighter fuse. Not a big issue at present bit I wondered if it might be a sign of impending doom?. I tried a firmware update but there was none available.

When it turns off does it chime and sound like it's turning off or is it just going black?

It chimes as though power to the unit was switched off. This happens on the first occasion the car is used after a couple of minutes of running and once it switches back on it is fine for the rest of the day.

That could be the car starter motor syndrome. What can happen to some car circuits is that they lose power when the starter is turning.
What 'could' be happening is that when you initially turn they key to ignition position 1 or 2 the unit gets power and starts up. Then the starter motor is drawing current when you fire it up and the unit has lost 'mains' power and is running on its own battery which fades after a few minutes.

The test for this is to temporarily use the supplied power cable, start the car, then plug the dashcam in.

If that works then find a circuit that is unaffected by the starter motor.

An interesting reply Kremmen, however it ran without this happening for a number of months and it never happens after the initial start after a long period of rest, usually only in the morning. The camera battery is showing full charge. I'll try your suggestion and see if it makes a difference.

The way I read your problem and timimg would point to a period of time roughly how long the battery would last. These units can become confused when you get a 'make, break, make' situation.

I've seen many posts about various dashcam makes where stop/start vehicles have caused mayhem, with dashcams losing power and turning off even though power has in fact been restored.

Had it once myself where I'd pulled into a layby but only returned the key to ignition position 1 so the radio was still playing and the dashcam rolling.
When I started the car the power was briefly cut to the cam and it turned off and didn't recover on that occasion. That was when I rewired it to ignition position 2.

Back