512GW video quality awful

daviek28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the 412GW and foolishly bought the 512GW , The video quality in daylight as well as night is terrible compared to the 412, with the 412 you could pause the video and clearly see number plates, with the 512 you cant they are just a blur, night time recordings were sharp on the 412, on the 512 they are an over compressed blocky mess, so what is the fuss over this supposed superior Sony sensor ? Or do I have a seriously faulty 512

TIA412wall.JPG512wall.JPG

Last edited:
I've thought that myself at times. It just seems to be rather blurred in many circumstances. Gets worse when you add the rear camera.

it is not faulty it is worse. i use a lot of footage myself from the 512 and like yourself had the 412 then, ahem, upgraded to this rubbish. the 412 was great for working with footage but the 512 is a nightmare on other aspects of its performance like it will not seamlessly carry on from one recording to another without glitching, 412 didn't, nothing but trouble with the crap mount supplied too and had to modify myself. catching number plates as stated is quite surreal considering if it's a hit n run say...
oh and that stupid red message you get on your recordings after pressing the save button has got to be the most infuriating update i have ever seen.
unless you are only ever going to use the 512 in broad daylight then the upgrade is pointless. you will not use the 1440 setting and even then it only runs at 30fps( i think, doesn't it?)

I've removed the filter and rear camara. Night recordings are better. Seems sharper.

you will not use the 1440 setting and even then it only runs at 30fps( i think, doesn't it?)

I don't think there is a dashcam on the market that does 1440@60fps

Could you send us in a file for us to take a look and help diagnose a little better?

It will be too large to send through an email so please use the service that www.wetransfer.com offer, you can send up to 2Gb to us free of charge.

Use our support@nextbase.co.uk as the recipient and please write in the message box to allow us to understand why you are sending the file in.

Back