512GW - which brand 128 GB micro?

BOBOK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed Nextbase 512GW as front and rear cameras.

I was previously a user of Roadhawk for over ten years. With the latest Roadhawk model - about 18 months old - I have had a few issues with recordings failing and decided to go for something different. I'm a great fan of dashcams and have twice been able to prove my innocence where without the camera evidence I doubt I would.

So far I have been extremely impressed with the performance of the '512'. Going back to my experience with the Roadhawk I am however very keen to use the best SDXC micro cards. I intend to buy some 128 GB cards and given the expense I do not want to make a mistake. With Roadhawk there was a considerable difference in performance between different brands for recording quality and longevity.

I note from other posts Nextbase have been very helpful in responding and providing advice. I would be interested in their recommendations for 128 GB cards and if they don't want to recommend perhaps they might tell us whose brand they use?

Obviously I would also be interested in anyone else's experience and advice.

Than you,

Bobok

PS Great that a future Nextbase software update will allow removal of low resolution recording.

have you bought 2 512GWs or have you managed to get the new rear cam that works with the 512gw? (out of interest)

Transcend 400x and Samsung u3 are good cards, whether the nextbase cams support 128gb is another story

Welcome @BOBOK,

The 512GW will support 128Gb with the latest firmware R10.6, you can check what version you're on in system info in the setup menu.

SanDisk are recommended brand but Lxar 633X or Transcend 400X are also perfect as @DashcamDPR has said. We haven't experienced good results with Samsung cards due to how they're manufactured.

For the rear cam, it’s due out in the Autumn, here’s some info:

The resolution will be 1080p,
It’ll record the data onto the SD card inside the 512GW,
It will take power from the 512GW,
It will cost around £50-£70.

The benefit is it will save on the extra hardwire kit and SD card and have front and rear files consecutively.

I've got a little note to write on here when its released.

Many thanks DashcamDPR & Nextbase Tiffany for your replies.

I've just bought Sandisc & Lexar 128 GB and it will be interesting to compare their performance. My firmware is R10.6.

I've had the front camera hardwired by Halfords - having had very poor experience with them some years ago I hadn't been near them for ages; what a difference now, I had superb friendly, professional service from a technician who clearly knew what he was doing!

Will the 412gw have the r10.6 firmware update soon?

Hi @Tony lovelock

It won't be 10.6 but a new version is due: there will be some good improvements to the Wi-Fi transfer speed and night time recordings.

[QUOTE="I've had the front camera hardwired by Halfords - having had very poor experience with them some years ago I hadn't been near them for ages; what a difference now, I had superb friendly, professional service from a technician who clearly knew what he was doing![/QUOTE]

Now that is really good to hear :)

Back