522 gw freezes when rear cam installed

Msnapz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys new here.

Wondering if you have had any issues at all with your 522gw freezing with the rear cam plugged in?

I was just using the main dash camera for a while but got the rear module and plugged it in, after about 20 minutes of driving it just freezes up completely and have to reset the dash cam.

For now I've disconnected the rear module and it doesn't freeze at all.

Any advice?

Cheers.

Have you updated the Dashcam to the latest firmware ?

Hi There I have updated it to the latest firmware so not sure what else to do really.

Could you try a better rated memory card? Most Micro SD cards are not suitable for dashcam use (usually stated in the small print, except on cheap imports and fake packaging).

Just a thought with the firmware. Nextbase are brilliant at helping their customers out with problems, I'm sure Millie from Nextbase will be along on here soon to help out. :)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Seems to be happening to a lot of people.

There's a small handful on here - 3 or 4 is it? Hardly a lot of people. I would think since it's release Nextbase must have sold thousands upon thousands. Percentage wise, it's hardly a fraction.

Nextbase will help as best they can I'm sure if asked. If it happens to the same person(s) on multiple occasions, that may suggest a car problem rather than a cam problem.

Out of all the units sold in the UK alone, folks would probably have more chance winning the Euro Millions lottery than getting consecutive faulty cameras.

Do you have the rear camera Paul?

Sadly no I don't m8, so I'm not in any of those percentages.

My rear cam is a Viofo, but I also have another Viofo on the back.

Did you return yours Callum? Do you have an update yet as to whether its sorted your problem for you?

Firmware can all take a while to sort - it has to be extensively tested to enure it both fixes a problem and that it doesn't introduce a new problem.

If you have the option for exchange, then use it (be sure you get new wiring and that the shop doesn't just swap the cam bodies). It will either be kill or cure - one way or the other you will know if it is a hardware fault from your original purchase, or an issue from the electrics side of your car - with 100's of cars models in the UK alone, there will always be some that just don't get on with some hardware added after manufacture.

There's a small handful on here - 3 or 4 is it? Hardly a lot of people. I would think since it's release Nextbase must have sold thousands upon thousands. Percentage wise, it's hardly a fraction.

Out of all the units sold in the UK alone, folks would probably have more chance winning the Euro Millions lottery than getting consecutive faulty cameras.
100% agree with this. Every product released you'll hear of the odd one being faulty/going wrong. And when you search the internet with a fault you'll probably feel like you see more negatives about a product than positives because people tend to take to the internet to comment and make it heard when something is up but when they're happy with a product they don't tend to bother putting anything online about it. But it's how the company deals with it and helps you out is what matters and Nextbase on that front are exceptional.

100% agree with this. Every product released you'll hear of the odd one being faulty/going wrong. And when you search the internet with a fault you'll probably feel like you see more negatives about a product than positives because people tend to take to the internet to comment and make it heard when something is up but when they're happy with a product they don't tend to bother putting anything online about it. But it's how the company deals with it and helps you out is what matters and Nextbase on that front are exceptional.

Paul, there may be more than you think. Immediately I came on this forum I recognised my fault, and the need for a hard reset comes up in other posts even if not in the title.
Rick, reading about faults online, it is usually possible to see the unreasonable rants and what the real problems are; that one has tricky setup, that one overheats, that one has buttons that break; and relevant here - the 522 will freeze needing a hard (reset button, not just power off) reset.
I purchased a 522 and after a lengthy dialog with Nextbase, sent mine back just before my Amazon 30 days expired. There were various suggestions: reversing camera: yes I had one but it would also freeze without. Car wiring: it also froze outside the car. SD card: the first freeze was during setup before the SD card went in. Firmware: it was up to date. Nextbase eventually said it "might" be a faulty unit... as an IT professional I am quite horrified that a product like this would ever need a hard reset to get back into a working state. My previous Nextbase never did over the 3-4 years we used it... in the end the battery died which is not great but can be forgiven. Firmware that freezes if it doesn't like the SD card or the day of the week cannot.
Anyway I am only on the forum to help choose an alternative dashcam: my problem is sorted as I have ordered a replacement battery for our old Nextbase 402 but I bought 522's for my kids at Christmas: they all went back so I need something else!
...but I thought I should share my experience of the - amazingly good when it works - 522.

Hi guys new here.

Wondering if you have had any issues at all with your 522gw freezing with the rear cam plugged in?

I was just using the main dash camera for a while but got the rear module and plugged it in, after about 20 minutes of driving it just freezes up completely and have to reset the dash cam.

For now I've disconnected the rear module and it doesn't freeze at all.

Any advice?

Cheers.
I have just received from Nextbase a new GW322 & rear cam kit, as soon as I plug in the rear cam it freezes, it’s already running the latest firmware.

How fast is your card.

I have just received from Nextbase a new GW322 & rear cam kit, as soon as I plug in the rear cam it freezes, it’s already running the latest firmware.
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your rear camera. I would recommend the following:

1. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera and then turn on the front Camera. Does it now start normally? Yes- then it's the SD card.

2. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

3. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together.

4. Ensure your Dash Cam's Firmware is on R19.1 (322GW).

4. Ensure you're using a suitable U3 SD card. I'd recommend a Dash Cam compatible U3 SD card, specifically designed for Dash Cam or CCTV usage. Using a dash cam compatible SD card instead should then allow your Dash Cam to function as designed. For guaranteed functionality and warranty, I'd suggest a Nextbase SD card.

5. Format your SD card. You can re-format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings
d) Go into Setup
e) Click 'Format'
f) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera.
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows) or 'Erase' (Mac)
e) Do not click the 'Quick Format box'. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
f) Follow the instructions.

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

It's crucial to format every 2-3 weeks.

Thanks,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

Very useful, thanks Millie. I'm currently having the same problem, having recently installed a rear camera to my 522gw today, I'm getting the screen freeze when I start everything up. I don't get this problem with just the 522gw running and the rear camera unplugged. I'll run through your suggestions - thank you!

I've just posted in another topic. I also have a rear cam with some issues I'm going through the motions of troubleshooting myself.
So I'm going to have a few journeys without the rear cam plugged in to ensure my camera doesn't freeze up.
Should it be stable, I will plug in my rear camera again and test this out.
If I have further issues of course, I've got an amazon return picking up on Monday!
I've got no time for problems in my life :sneaky:

So by changing my sd card to a lower specced V7 with a write speed of 30MB/s my setup is working flawlessly.
I do have dual files off currently. Parking mode on, 2 min files.

What were the card makes of the bad and good ?

Back