522GW and Nextbase Rear Camera Modules

Spuds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
412GW, 512GW, 522GW, VIOFO A199V3
@NextBase Support Hi Tiffany.

With all the problems I had with my 512GW and the original Nextbase rear view camera I have decided to upgrade to the 522GW with the rear camera module.
(yes I am still a loyal Nextbase customer).
I have checked my local Argos and they have stock. I have fitted an Amazon echo dot in the car and find this really useful and I can see the benefits of having one inbuilt within another device, like the 522GW. My question is if the power connector is the same as the 512GW so I could re-use the original power cable. I await your reply before purchasing.
Many thanks.
Spuds

Hi @Spuds

That is great to hear!! :)

Yes the power connector is the same, you can use the same cable.

Ok so quick question on this topic, are these now available in the UK from halford, as I’m expecting to have a replacement under warranty for a inoperative 512gwr cam by Halfords?

I bough my 522GW and rear camera from Argos about an hour ago. Be aware that to use all the functionality of the camera you need to download MyNexbase connect app from the app store (iPhone). At the moment the app isn't available as yet and support inform me

"
I am sorry to read that you are having difficulty installing My Nextbase Connect on your iPhone. We have submitted it to the app store about a week ago and are currently pending approval.
This process usually takes around 48 hours but it is taking far longer than anticipated, it should be available in the next few days."

My bad, yet again for being an early adopter, you would think I would learn as I get older lol.

Last edited:
It is really frustrating for us and you of course, we submitted it for expedited review but it hasn't be authorised yet.

Of course, I understand that. I am sure you wanted everything to be in place for the launch of the product.

My next question is I bought a SD card for my 512GW in September 2018 as recommended on these forums on compatibility issues. It is a SanDisk Ultra 128Gb type 10 A1. With this in the 522GW I get the message "SD card is less than U3, Please replace SD Card with a quality U3 SD Card. Could you tell me your recommendation and maximum size please?

My final question, for the moment is about the GPS. I have had the camera plugged in, outside, for half an hour and as yet the time and date has not updated (I have updated to firmware R15.0 from the V8 it shipped with and have set country and time zone).

Many thanks

Last edited:
Halfords are selling the Nextbase branded cards. I noted the 128Gb card was £65, the most expensive. Smaller cards and therefore price were on display.

Given the top notch Nextbase support they are probably the ones to go for.

So far with Alexa, I can ask it to call a contact then it jumps in to life and comes through the infotainment system, which is nice, no mistakes yet, compared to the voice commands on my Insignia, which seems to require an American accent, no matter what.

So far with Alexa, I can ask it to call a contact then it jumps in to life and comes through the infotainment system, which is nice, no mistakes yet, compared to the voice commands on my Insignia, which seems to require an American accent, no matter what.
I'm guessing you have an Android phone to be able to use the MyNexbase connect app. Really pleased you have it working ok. Do you have any home automation/Hive heating. I would be interesting to see how it all integrates, drop in etc. Hopefully it wont be too long before I receive the MyNexbase connect app for IOS. Eager to put it through it's paces. Not forgetting the dashcam side too lol.

Yeah it's an Android phone I have.
I don't really have any automation as such but I can ask it to play music on the echo, and it switched devices and I could hear it outside my house, when I was setting it up.
I did seem to have an issue with setting up Alexa but it seemed to be me having a brain fart, as my phone went to sleep and the Alexa app did nothing, but the second I opened up the nextbase app, it gave me the setup complete message.

Halfords are selling the Nextbase branded cards. I noted the 128Gb card was £65, the most expensive. Smaller cards and therefore price were on display.

Given the top notch Nextbase support they are probably the ones to go for.

I am running one of these in my 422GW and it works a treat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07C9PVLN8
At £14.95 for a premium brand card, £65 for the Nextbase one seems rather over priced

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, I understand that. I am sure you wanted everything to be in place for the launch of the product.

My next question is I bought a SD card for my 512GW in September 2018 as recommended on these forums on compatibility issues. It is a SanDisk Ultra 128Gb type 10 A1. With this in the 522GW I get the message "SD card is less than U3, Please replace SD Card with a quality U3 SD Card. Could you tell me your recommendation and maximum size please?

My final question, for the moment is about the GPS. I have had the camera plugged in, outside, for half an hour and as yet the time and date has not updated (I have updated to firmware R15.0 from the V8 it shipped with and have set country and time zone).

Many thanks
I've just stuck my KINGSTON Canvas go SD card in my new 522GW and no issues with it. And the prices are really good.

Check them out.

£31 including vat and delivery for a 128gb U3 card that's is purpose designed to work for action/dash cams.

Thanks @Simcor for the info on the memory card. I ended up buying this from Amazon.

SanDisk Extreme PLUS 128 GB Class 10, U3, V30

Works a treat with the rear camera attached and cost me £35.49 with Amazon Prime delivery. Still haven't mounted it in the car yet. Was hoping that the IOS MyNextbase Connect app would be available on the app store today but still is noticeable by it's absence.

My SanDisk Ultra 128Gb type 10 A1 worked fine without the rear camera attached but gave the above error when plugged in.

Thanks @Simcor for the info on the memory card. I ended up buying this from Amazon.

SanDisk Extreme PLUS 128 GB Class 10, U3, V30

Works a treat with the rear camera attached and cost me £35.49 with Amazon Prime delivery. Still haven't mounted it in the car yet. Was hoping that the IOS MyNextbase Connect app would be available on the app store today but still is noticeable by it's absence.

My SanDisk Ultra 128Gb type 10 A1 worked fine without the rear camera attached but gave the above error when plugged in.
Thankfully I'm an Android user rather than IOS so I don't have that issue.

Although I think there may still be a few bugs in the app but have only played around a little bit with it so far.

Unless it's just me being useless just had a few issues connecting a couple of times and had a bit of a job setting Alexa up and getting it to work although I'm not sure I will use Alexa in the long run but trying it out to see if it's worthwhile.

The SOS part of the app isn't functional as yet either.

Evening All,

New to the Forum, but not NextBase, I'm running the 512GW and now the 522GW both in different vehicles.

Only purchasing yesterday, I was frustrated to see that the IOS app isn't available, I think the Project Manager on this one will be in rather deep water, if not drowned already.

That aside I've upgraded the Firmware and the camera works a treat, although I am somewhat suspect on the batteries that are included in these camera, evening after a full charge for the evening after only 2 mins of playing with it disconnected from the power did the warning low battery come up, this surely can't be right correct - Next Base, do you have an answer for this, surely you can include a battery that will last longer that that without the unit being plugged into the mains power ?

As for Memory Cards, check out"My Memory", in my line of work I always need new memory cards and they had a great deal on (gone up slightly today of £17.99 delivered for 128GB U3 Samsung (https://www.mymemory.co.uk/samsung-128gb-evo-plus-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html). (use Quidco to get extra cash back).

As previously mentioned, does the permanent car kit work (same connector) yes, which is good news as it allowed me just to swap out one camera for another.

I've also purchased the rear view camera module (the 30 Degree's unit) which works very well and plugs in the side, Halford's had a 1/2 price deal on ( use Quidco to get an extra 5% off).

I'm currently pleased with the performance of the camera, whilst plugged into the mains, but can't comment on the other features until the app gets released, hopefully this side of June.

If you can clarify about the battery life it would be appreciated.

Kindest Regards
Darren

The Apple app delay is notorious throughout the developer industry.

It's often a cat and mouse tale with them returning the app for rework because Apple don't like this or that.

The Apple app delay is notorious throughout the developer industry.

It's often a cat and mouse tale with them returning the app for rework because Apple don't like this or that.

All well and good but surely if the Apple delay is known about within the industry then Nextbase would also have been aware and would have submitted the app in good time for the launch date which I believe was the 13th May. Nextbase told me it usually takes them 48 hours to get an expediated review approved but already it’s 5 days over. Not a good start to what has the potential to be the best feature rich dash cameras on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds like the 512 rear cam saga all over again, with the exception that NB have someone else to "blame".

There's often no rhyme or reason as to why Apple delay approving apps, not something they can plan for unfortunately

Back