522GW causing "skipping" when playing music from iPhone via bluetooth

Rudder

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi there,

After several weeks of blaming Spotify for causing regular "skipping / reconnecting / buffering"-pauses when playing music from my iPhone via Bluetooth to the car audio system, I finally decided to shut off the dash cam. Lo and behold, the problems disappeared.

So it seems to me that every time the dash cam polls the bluetooth connection it also interferes with the connection between the phone and the car.

I have tried this both with and without having an existing connection between the phone and the dash cam, but the problem is still there. The only thing that works is turning the dash cam off. So, before trying to return the dash cam, is there anyone that has suggestions?

Is this something the developer is aware of?

iPhone 14.7.1
Dashcam firmware updated about a month ago.

How long is the pause?
I get a stutter sometimes when streaming music to car through Bluetooth, lasts fraction of a second, still very annoying.
Tried powering down 522gw, made no difference.
I think is iPhone problem, 12 mini IOS 15.0,
did not seem to have stutter on previous iPhone 8.

Yeah about the same length, but with the difference that when as soon as I shut off the 522 there is no stutter anymore...as you say, very annoying.

Hello,

This is not something we've had reported before. Please can you let us know more about the problem at support@nextbase.com and we will be able to pass this onto our Developers.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

I'm having similar issues except the drop is between the iPhone and my Bluetooth earbuds (Apple Airpods). So basically the same issue with Bluetooth dropping. I already started another thread HERE with my specific details and will paste them into an email to support. Please let us know if you have forwarded your issue to support and if they have gotten back to you. Thanks!

I tested this, unplugged 522gw from cigarette lighter, streamed music by Bluetooth to car, same fraction of a second stutter intermittently, does not seem to be dashcam

I think this is either network or phone issue, still trying to figure out; don’t normally download music, will try couple songs and see if stutter changes

I'm having similar issues except the drop is between the iPhone and my Bluetooth earbuds (Apple Airpods). So basically the same issue with Bluetooth dropping. I already started another thread HERE with my specific details and will paste them into an email to support. Please let us know if you have forwarded your issue to support and if they have gotten back to you. Thanks!
Read your thread, seems to be exactly the same issue, but in my case with the car stereo instead of the airpods. Even telling the phone to forget the dash cam bluetooth connection, the dash cam still seems to interrupt when polling for a connection.

The issue disappeared as soon as the Dash cam was turned off. Got 2.5 hrs commute one way so had plenty of time trying it out.

But I returned the cam today, had quite a few struggles with it these past weeks and the return policy runs out this week. :/ Wish you the best of luck. Good to see Nextbase active here anyway.

Sorry to hear you had to go another direction, but I completely understand. If I were in the window of return, I might serious consider it as well. But I am outside of that window and quite honestly have been happy with the cam. Sure, the download process for getting files onto your phone seems unnecessarily complicated, but the files are very clear and it worked great on a long trip with our truck/rv last month. I'm hopeful the support team can produce a solution or at the very least a workaround that allows both the cam and hands-free driving to coexist!

On a complete aside, did you choose a replacement cam yet?

Yeah the quality of the videos were fine. Haven't chosen another one yet, but will prioritise stability and as you mention easier file transfer. But will give it some time I think. ;)

522gw not causing my Bluetooth music to stutter, it's my network provider

Downloaded 6 songs from youtube music, hard rebooted iphone 12 mini, unplugged 522gw from cigarette lighter, turned off cellular on phone, connected to car via Bluetooth, played downloaded songs, no stutter

plugged 522gw back into cigarette lighter, played downloaded songs, no stutter

turned on cellular on phone, streamed other songs not downloaded, and experience stutter for fraction of a second intermittently maybe 2-3 times a minute

current data plan is 25gb/month for LTE, not 5G, for $60

maybe network provider wants me to upgrade to 5G 30gb/month for $80, and is artificially affecting streaming experience, but not sure if extra $240/year for 5G is worth it, or if streaming experience will improve at all

Hello,

Thank you for your update, that is really useful! I have passed your feedback onto our Development Team to investigate further. If anyone else with this issue could try the above (cellular/ mobile data turned off) and report back I would appreciate it.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back