522gw dead battery

AndyN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a 522gw with the rear camera, it has been hard wired for about 18 months but I have now changed cars and am just using the socket charger. The battery is dead holds no charge, after 4 or so hours charging inside you get 2 to 3 seconds then off. It also means when my engine auto stops and re starts and the voltage drops the blooming camera goes off and sometimes does not come back on.

I have seen threads talking about instructions on how to change and where to get replacement batteries from is it possible I could get this information.

I hope they are pretty cheap as 18 months is a bit pants if i have to replace them at cost each time.

PL 353040H 3.7V 320mAh 1.18Wh this seems to be the model according to another post but any idea where you can get them from, Amazon has similar but not quite the same.

Last edited:
Hello Andy,

I'd recommend performing a battery test on your 522GW:

1. Unplug the Rear Dash Cam (if applicable) and remove the Dash Cam from it's windscreen mount.
2. Take the Dash Cam indoors and remove the SD card.
3. Using the USB cable provided in the box, plug it into a mains power supply (2 Amp recommended), make sure to plug the cable into the body of the camera, not through the car mount.
4. Go into the Dash Cam menu and make sure that Parking Mode is turned off (if applicable), if Parking Mode is enabled, this will affect the test.
5. Leave the camera on charge for 4 hours (or more) with the camera turned on. When fully charged, the blue charging LED should turn off.
6. Unplug the power cable, the camera should shut down.
7. Turn the Dash Cam on (using only battery power) and time how long it takes for the battery to run out and the camera to shut down.

Please note:
After performing this test, your Dash Cam will need to charged again, before reinstalling in your car.

The battery should last for 8+ minutes during the above test. If the battery lasts for less than 8 minutes, the battery may have reached the end of it's lifespan.

If the battery has expired, then we can provide a new battery for you directly and we offer two battery services.

To minimise the time you have to spend apart from your camera, we can send you a battery for £10 with free postage and packaging. This option is only available to mainland UK delivery addresses due to transportation limitations.
The battery replacement process is relatively straight forward and usually takes between 15/20 minutes to complete, but does require some soldering. Please direct message me your email address and I can get the PDF instructions sent across to you.

Alternatively if you don't feel comfortable with the replacing the battery yourself, we can get the camera booked in for repair for £31.20. The average turn around for repairs is between 7-10 working days.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi Thanks.

I have done the battery tests and it is dead after a few seconds so requires a new battery I think.

I think i have sent a direct message for the instructions on changing it. is it possible to supply a link to where I can purchase the battery from

Hi Andy,

I've emailed you directly with the battery instructions.

Kind regards,
Millie

Just an update, got the replacement battery and fitted it today.

Very easy as long as you know how to solder. Gave it a full charge and then tested, got pretty much 11 mins out of it.
I'm happy with that, its about what it was when new.

I would prefer it to not have died in just over a year but at 10 quid its not so bad. If you have it hard wired its not a problem so when my new car eventually gets delivered it will be properly installed again.

Hi all
I have the same problem, the akku is dead (inflated). Could you please tell me where i can by this akku, amazon in germany doesnot have this model.
The problem here for me is, that similar types do not have 3 connections.
Could you please help me ?

Last edited:
Create a new thread about your battery and I'm sure one of the nextbase people will be along to help. Or you could use the contact us section in the App and send a message that way.

I got the the new battery and it, at the moment has solved all my faults.

As long as you can solder it's an easy job of about 10 mins.

Hi Wolga,

I've replied on your other thread :)

Kind regards,
Millie

I've messaged you directly :)

Kind regards,
Millie

I've messaged you directly :)

Kind regards,
Millie
I too need a PL 353040H 3.7V 320mAh 1.18Wh battery. I'm located in Canada, have searched the internet and contacted various battery suppliers in Canada. Nextbase dash cams are sold in North America yet there doesn't seem to be a replacement battery supplier. Additionally, it seems that the battery is not a common one. Please provide me with a battery supplier contact that will ship to Canada. I find it odd that a company selling a product in North America does not provide for replacement batteries for their product in North America. Especially since Nextbase is aware of the need to replace the battery on a regular basis.

Hello Vance,

I'm afraid we do not have an authorised battery supplier within Canada. I would recommend searching online under the battery specification PL 353040H 3.7V 320mAh 1.18Wh as there should be the correct battery available.

Kind regards,
Millie

Hi Millie,
Could you please provide the dimensions size of replacement battery?

Of course, that's the PL number above.
Length= 40mm
Width= 30mm
Thickness= 3.5mm

Kind regards,
Millie

Just seen this on that well known action site. Item number 274950360776, for under £19.005D7BCD43-DAD9-44DB-969B-8F40EEAA35EE.png

It may work but there is no part number supplied and it's costly at £45.15 ($78.00 Canadian) including shipping to Canada. The quality is questionable. The description states it is rated for -10 C (14 F) while Nextbase states the 522GW works down to -20 C (-4 F). Additionally the description states it's an upgrade that also works in the Nextbase 622GW. The 622GW is advertised as operating to -29 C (-20 F) so I don't believe it's a fits all battery. I prefer to get a direct replacement.

Back