522gw, my current struggles- but things are much better now

raywray

Reaction score
Country
United States
Initially, I was not sure the pros outweighed the cons. I am pleased with the quality of the video, both night and day. The video quality is the best I've seen on a dashcam. Now that I've eliminated the hardwire to the car battery things are better because there's no more risk of a dead battery in the morning. However, I still have some things I need help with.
1) I can't find any files on the memory card for the previous day. I have been looking for files with the last modified file date of the previous day. I'm looking directly at the memory card in the camera before anything is copied to my pc. I'm using the recommended Nextbase memory card and I reformated it in the camera within the last two weeks
The camera only runs when the car is running. I seem to have this problem no matter how much I drive each day. I can only assume that somehow the camera is overwriting the data from the previous day. I am running both front and rear cameras. I have not gotten the camera to copy any files to the "protected directory when I press the protect" button. on the bottom of the camera. I will get the red lock icon on the screen when I press it, but it does not seem to be protecting the files. I expected those protected files to be found on the "protected subdirectory on the card, Is that not right? In parking mode, the camera does not respond to motion in front of it, or when the camera is bumped. My sensitivity is still the default value, which is the "medium level, I think.

The camera doesn't delete video clips by date, it overwrites the oldest video clip once the SD card is full which is 2 hours with a 32GB SD card, 4 hours with a 64GB SD card & 7 hours with a 128GB SD card.

You're correct that the protected files should go in the protected folder.

For parking mode you have to have a permanent live fed to the camera & since you've eliminated the hard wiring you'll need a permanent live accessory socket.

If you feel that you are over writing the previous days recordings, is the camera recording at all? As stated, the oldest files are deleted first. What size sd card is fitted and are you dual recording? Which will reduce the storage capacity.

Initially, I was not sure the pros outweighed the cons. I am pleased with the quality of the video, both night and day. The video quality is the best I've seen on a dashcam. Now that I've eliminated the hardwire to the car battery things are better because there's no more risk of a dead battery in the morning. However, I still have some things I need help with.
1) I can't find any files on the memory card for the previous day. I have been looking for files with the last modified file date of the previous day. I'm looking directly at the memory card in the camera before anything is copied to my pc. I'm using the recommended Nextbase memory card and I reformated it in the camera within the last two weeks
The camera only runs when the car is running. I seem to have this problem no matter how much I drive each day. I can only assume that somehow the camera is overwriting the data from the previous day. I am running both front and rear cameras. I have not gotten the camera to copy any files to the "protected directory when I press the protect" button. on the bottom of the camera. I will get the red lock icon on the screen when I press it, but it does not seem to be protecting the files. I expected those protected files to be found on the "protected subdirectory on the card, Is that not right? In parking mode, the camera does not respond to motion in front of it, or when the camera is bumped. My sensitivity is still the default value, which is the "medium level, I think.
Hello,

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage. The Protected Files should be saved in the Protected folder on the card. If this isn't happening, please give us a call and we can troubleshoot the issue for you.
As Caravanj said above, the different SD cards have different time storage capacities. If you're using a 32GB card and driving for 4 hours, you may only have half the journey recorded.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back