522GW - One week on

Spuds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
412GW, 512GW, 522GW, VIOFO A199V3
So, after having the 522GW with rear window mounted camera for one week, and having used the MyNextbase connect app for a couple of days, I thought I would post my preliminary observations.

A regular occurrence when starting the car is a message that flashes on the screen saying "please insert SDCard" (or something quite similar). This goes off very quickly and is followed by the tri tone to say the camera is recording.

Today, I thought I would test the Alexa app in earnest seeing as I had a longish journey to make. First off I got the tri tone to say the camera was recording and I set off. Straight away it was apparent that something wasn't quite right. The MPH screensaver didn't come on and I was just presented with the front and rear camera views. As the camera is located behind the rear view mirror I was unable to press settings (nor would I while driving). I tried the Alexa app. "Alexa read my flash briefing" which worked as expected. "Alexa play anything by Eric Clapton" - "Shuffling songs by Eric Clapton on Amazon Music". "Alexa Stop", that was it no more responses from Alexa although the music continued to play. 20 minutes in to the journey and I got the tri tone again and then the screen saver (MPH) came on but Alexa was still not responding. I later found out that the first 20 minutes of the journey had not been recorded. When I reached my destination I switched off the ignition and the camera shut down as normal.

The return journey was slightly better, the camera started recording straight away and the screen saver came on. I could interrogate Alexa asking for Google and Wikipedia articles. I even did a 'drop in' on home which worked perfectly. Then I got the dreaded tri-tone again and the screen saver came off and displayed the front and rear cameras again. Alexa went unresponsive and again, when I got home, the camera had stopped recording. When I turned off the ignition the camera did not switch off, nor would it switch off with the power button although it continued to display live video. I had to press the reset button on the underside of the camera to cause a shut down. I will say that the heat radiating from the camera felt quite hot, not scientific I know. I have a calibrated infra red thermometer that I will leave in the car to test with should it happen again.

The screen locking up has happened twice before I installed the MyNextbase connect app but the missing recordings have not happened before.

Hoping that my issues are under investigation and can be fixed with a firmware update.

Hehe i don't even talk to voice mail, or what was called a answering machine in the good old days, so of course i also don't use such services myself.
I talk to other people at worst thru a phone, and the 10 people that have my number all know i don't like that.

I have tried the google thing on my phone, but really having to say "okay google" to get it to listen just feel so silly i did not investigate further, if i was able to choose any other trigger word, then maybe it could be fun.
I assume that Alexa chick are triggered by her name, so thats no fun either.
The google people choosing to have their brand name in the trigger word, just empathize how evil they really are, and just want to wash our brain.

Will be funny to see when nextbase get this dialed in.

Back