522GW Power problems.

Barrovian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, first time post and looking for some help please. I had a 522GW and rear camera fitted using a hard wire kit at Halfords at the end of August this year. It has been working flawlessly. Until yesterday. I noticed after I had been driving a couple of minutes that the display was constantly rebooting to the splash screen, clicking powering off, before going back to the splash screen, over an over again.The red recording and blue charging LEDs were cycling as well. When I stopped and removed the camera from the mount, I was unable to power it up. I brought it inside and connected the camera to a charger via the USB lead and it started straight away. I did a factory reset, and formatted the SD card and all seemed well. I left the camera on charge overnight and when I came back to it this morning the blue LED was off indicating (I think) it was fully charged. I disconnected the camera from the USB and left it switched off. However, when I came to put the camera back in the car about 3 hours later I noticed before placing it in the mount that the battery was down to one bar. When I put the camera back in the mount the camera powered on and the battery icon showed that it was charging. But after about 3 minutes, the camera went back into the splash screen / reboot loop and I'm back where I started. Any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong, and gone wrong so suddenly?

A bit sad, replying to your own post. I had hoped someone from @NextBase Support might have some ideas and get in touch, but guess not :( Anyway, I thought I'd just add an update for anyone interested. I had an appointment at Halfords yesterday and as soon as I showed him a video of the issue the technician confidently said it was a memory card problem. New card fittted, no difference. Left the car with them while they checked all the wiring and they say this was found to be in order. "It must be the unit, we'll give you another,' so a new camera unit was fitted. This new unit worked fine on my three mile trip home. But when I came back to the car three hours later, the cameral lasted about a minute before turning off. The blue charging light remained on, but the camera was not recording and just wouldn't stay on. I did notice that if I disconnected the rear camera, the main unit stays on for a few seconds longer, long enough for the low power warning message to come on, even though the blue charging light and onscreen icon indicates that it's charging. It seems as if the hardwire kit isn't able to provide enough power to run the cameras. I don't want to use the 12v socket option as that's just untidy. Does anyone have any suggestions before I give up and get Halfords to remove the cameras and get a refund? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Firstly, my deepest apologies for missing your first message. I'm not sure why I wasn't made aware of it, however I appreciate you tagging me in the second post.

It sounds like a power issue, especially if it's duplicated on separate cameras. It also sounds like Halfords attach the Hard Wire Kit to a Switch Live? I'd recommend asking them to change it to a Permanent Live, and then turn on Parking Mode.

This will solve the battery drainage issue.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi there,

Firstly, my deepest apologies for missing your first message. I'm not sure why I wasn't made aware of it, however I appreciate you tagging me in the second post.

It sounds like a power issue, especially if it's duplicated on separate cameras. It also sounds like Halfords attach the Hard Wire Kit to a Switch Live? I'd recommend asking them to change it to a Permanent Live, and then turn on Parking Mode.

This will solve the battery drainage issue.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hi Millie,

I am getting same issues, I have also charged the unit up outside of the vehicle, as well as using the 12V socket to power the unit and the same thing happened. I have had Customer Support send me an SD card direct from Nextbase, as well Halfords swapping it out. None of this has made a difference. The rear view camera has been swapped twice, and I’m on my second unit. The same problems persist. One occasion of the power cycle was made worse as someone hit my vehicle mid reboot which resulted in me losing my no claims despite not being at fault! I was furious when I discovered the camera had not captured this incident.

I’ve jumped through so many hoops, which is not right when I should be able to buy a product and expect it to work as it is intended. It’s made worse when you know this isn’t isolated to just me, but many users.

My cam is hardwired to a permanent live in a 2019 Ford Focus ST. I am running 18.5 firmware and using a Nextbase SD card for this specific camera. There is nothing I am doing wrong here, this is simply a defective product overall and as a result I would like to know how I can obtain a refund for it please as it is now sitting in my house gathering dust.

Cheers

Hi Millie,

I am getting same issues, I have also charged the unit up outside of the vehicle, as well as using the 12V socket to power the unit and the same thing happened. I have had Customer Support send me an SD card direct from Nextbase, as well Halfords swapping it out. None of this has made a difference. The rear view camera has been swapped twice, and I’m on my second unit. The same problems persist. One occasion of the power cycle was made worse as someone hit my vehicle mid reboot which resulted in me losing my no claims despite not being at fault! I was furious when I discovered the camera had not captured this incident.

I’ve jumped through so many hoops, which is not right when I should be able to buy a product and expect it to work as it is intended. It’s made worse when you know this isn’t isolated to just me, but many users.

My cam is hardwired to a permanent live in a 2019 Ford Focus ST. I am running 18.5 firmware and using a Nextbase SD card for this specific camera. There is nothing I am doing wrong here, this is simply a defective product overall and as a result I would like to know how I can obtain a refund for it please as it is now sitting in my house gathering dust.

Cheers
I gave up. I have to say, Halfords were great. Like you, they replaced the SD card, then the unit. Neither made any difference. Their installer was the opinion that the rear camera is too much for the battery in the unit to cope with and drains it faster than it can charge. He demonstrated this by disconnecting the rear camera and it worked. However, I wasn’t prepared to keep messing about with something so unreliable so I cut my losses and got a full refund. No quibble from my Halfords. They agreed the unit isn’t fit for purpose. Shame, as for the couple of months it worked it was great.

There is nothing I am doing wrong here, this is simply a defective product overall and as a result I would like to know how I can obtain a refund for it please as it is now sitting in my house gathering dust.

Cheers

If you want to return the camera, then your contract is with the retailer, halfords, so take it up with them/return it to them.
Has anyone thought the hardwire kit may be at fault.?

I did consider that, but not bring technically minded, I was guided by Halfords. They didn’t think there was anything wrong with the hardwire kit (although I don’t know how you’d go about testing it.) But at the end of the day, I didn’t want to keep trying different things and have the hassle of going back and forth to Halfords if it went wrong again.

If it is not fit for purpose, complain bitterly to Halfords and ask for a refund.
They have tried to fix it for you and failed, so you should not have difficulty.

Back