522GW + Rear camera SD card compatibility

mikewalk87

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
I have purchased a 522GW and it is working great. I thought I would go ahead and also purchase the rear camera.
When the rear camera is plugged into the 522GW and is booted up onscreen states that the SD card I am using is not fast enough and won't record anything.
Fair enough so I went ahead and bought an SD card that states it is compatible with dash cams. This is a "Kingston SDCE/128 GB High Endurance microSD Card".
Unfortunately this is stating that it is also too slow and I need a U3 compatible card.
Am I really using the wrong card? If so what should I be using?
Amazon links would be great so I can get it ordered asap.Cheers
Mike

All I can suggest is you get one of the nextbase branded ones from Halfords - then there is no quibble about suitability etc.

For the other brands,the U3 cards are typically labelled as not suitable for dashcams, surveillance camera etc (and use will invalidate warranty) due to the large amounts of writes which would be performed, whilst the high endurance cards which are suitable\guaranteed for such things are typically U1.

Alternatively, you could risk any U3 one, just being aware that if it stopped working within the guarantee period you might not have a claim (although whether the vendor\manufacturer could tell what you were using the card or would quibble is unknown), or accept you might need to get a new card every so often.

Matthew

Last edited:
Well I did not know that about U3 cards - I had to use my Samsung Pro 64Gb U3 in my 522+Rear setup (now returned to store) as it came up with a warning that the original one I tried was not U3 and refused to do anything.

I would have thought a high speed card would have been designed to cope with HD video and if they are not actually suitable then it's disingenuous for Nextbase to actually insist you use one!

Just discovered this issue. Really wish I had read this before purchasing the camera. 3 different cards tried and none of them work while the rear camera module is plugged in.

As mentioned in the "A bit disappointing thread", the files produced are at a bitrate which should be well within the capability of a U1 card, and it should also be noted that the Nextbase Duo which has front and rear cameras which also records in one of the three modes offered by the 522GW + Rear (namely both at 1080p) copes fine with a U1 card. So the U3 restriction is surprising

As mentioned in the "A bit disappointing thread", the files produced are at a bitrate which should be well within the capability of a U1 card, and it should also be noted that the Nextbase Duo which has front and rear cameras which also records in one of the three modes offered by the 522GW + Rear (namely both at 1080p) copes fine with a U1 card. So the U3 restriction is surprising

Feels like way to try and boost there own SD card sales.

I'm using a Kingston canvas go SD card in mine and no issues at all.

I'd recommend them for price and the fact they are endurance cards for dash cans and action cams etc.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Got the card and it worked fine. Pity the dash cam is complete and utter dung. Back to a DDPai can for me lol

Glenn Howells review seems to indicate a possible fake was sent to him !

You really have to be so careful. I went to Samsungs UK site and looked up their genuine retailers, saw Scan, who I have used before, and went with them.

Yes they might be a bit more expensive, but worth it IMO.

As above there are so many fake cards around and buying from places like Amazon you never quite know if what your getting is a genuine product from a genuine retailer.

My Memory (UK based) are both good value and don't have fakes (none that I have heard of or seen reported/fed back).

Yeah, I'm using My Memory cards now in my new Xperia 1, and my 522, and not an issue yet with either.

I’m using the attached card and I’m still getting the slow write speed, I’ve formatted it within the camera many times. I’m starting to get fed up of this. Never an issue with the 512gw once I had a suitable card. What else can I try.

Attachments

• 1C3406B9-1BED-49CF-B6EF-D09DBCC7C1D0.png
    1C3406B9-1BED-49CF-B6EF-D09DBCC7C1D0.png
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 13
Have you run that card through h2wtest just to double check the read/write speeds

Have you run that card through h2wtest just to double check the read/write speeds

No I’ve not but think I will do, I was toying with the idea of simply buying a nextbase brand card and if I get the same error then I no for a fact it’s the camera.

True, but you can do a test for free and if you have a good card .......

I've got the SanDisk 128gb high endurance card and have not had a problem yet, I ditched the cheap card as it caused issues

Back