522GW stopping and starting

lamaktak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just purchased a 522 with rear cam module. Paired with 32GB SANDISC Extreme U3.
Im finding randomly the cam will just stop recording while driving (the cam does its ping sound and the settings and and play button appear) then it will start recording again within 5 seconds.
Ive checked the cabling and its sound, even so if it was a current/voltage issue surly the battery would kick in. A few occasions I've had the reset the cam to get it working too.
Also annoying is the wifi app thru apple iphone is rather hit and miss in connecting takes a few tires and refuses to delete files
Im going to return the unit as Im fed up with it any decent alternatives with integrated rear cam

Last edited:
I would guess make sure the firmware is up to date, and try another SD card.
SD card issues are common grounds with issues.

I would guess make sure the firmware is up to date, and try another SD card.
SD card issues are common grounds with issues.
Since buying the high endurance SanDisk my issue have stopped.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I am waiting for my 3rd 522gw to be delivered as the previous 2 had faults - powering on/off randomly and then the screen just freezing. Tried several SD cards in both but still not working.
I have never got Alexa to even connect to the 522 and the wifi connection from the NB app is flakey at best.
Wished I hadn't paid now for my VW dealer to hard wire this dash cam to my car as its been a total pile of rubbish so far.
Dashcam number 3 should be fitted by the end of the week if delivery is on time - if this one fails to work then i will ask for a full refund and look at an alternative dashcam.

I had a similar issue for a while with my 522GW, after a lot of troubleshooting with NB support it turned out the car wasnt supplying it enough power, which meant the battery wasnt charging which seemed to cause it to glitch out a lot.

I had a similar issue for a while with my 522GW, after a lot of troubleshooting with NB support it turned out the car wasnt supplying it enough power, which meant the battery wasnt charging which seemed to cause it to glitch out a lot.
thats interesting - i will get the VW dealer to check this next week when they fit another 522gw.

Today I had a dashcam on a power cable that wasn't good enough for the job. Cam stopped and started every 70 seconds and the screen flickered too.

Solution - new power supply cable and it is now spot on and working perfectly.

So how did you get that fixed? I'm on my 2nd 522gw hardwired by Halfords into a 2016 308 and mine does all sorts of random things. 1. The battery is always dead unless on charge in the house and once off, it lasts 10 mins. Driving down the road and any slight bump in the road activates the file protection. The camera starts recording on park mode as soon as I unlock or lock the car. Its been a complete pain to be honest. The video quality on both front and rear cam is terrible. Always pixelating and often unable to read reg plates, even using the nextbase memory card and had 2 of them too. I'm on the verge of getting Halfords to remove and refund and look for an alternative.

So how did you get that fixed? I'm on my 2nd 522gw hardwired by Halfords into a 2016 308 and mine does all sorts of random things. 1. The battery is always dead unless on charge in the house and once off, it lasts 10 mins. Driving down the road and any slight bump in the road activates the file protection. The camera starts recording on park mode as soon as I unlock or lock the car. Its been a complete pain to be honest. The video quality on both front and rear cam is terrible. Always pixelating and often unable to read reg plates, even using the nextbase memory card and had 2 of them too. I'm on the verge of getting Halfords to remove and refund and look for an alternative.
I had one of these for my phone and simply used a USB cable from it to the dashcam

Anker Quick Charge 3.0, 42W 2-Port USB Car Charger PowerDrive+ 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01A4ZGLZ8

Hardwiring can be hit and miss. Especially with newer stop/start vehicles.

For as long as I can remember a cars starter motor takes a lot of car battery. So much so that if you have your headlights on before you start the car, in subdued light you can see them dim or go out completely until the car starts.

Dashcams seem to need constant power or they go into shutdown mode so finding a circuit that isn't affected seems to be a must.

Back