522GW "tactics" for use

ChrisFlynn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi al,l
I got a 522W as my first ever dashcam this weekend. The bloke in Halfords said two things I'm not sure I fully understand:- that I need to format occasionally as it won't automatically overwrite old recordings, and to not use the Protect button as it will lose data. Having read a bit of the manual and others posts here, I think I understand where he's coming from, but I just wanted to check I've understood correctly...

• Because I have front and rear cams and the standard 32GB, the capacity is 2hours.
  • Occasionally, the device will automatically protect files (1min), based on the GPS/accelerometer. These protected files don't get recorded over.
  • The risk is that if 90mins of protected files build up, then I'm really only reusing 30mins of coverage. So if I drive home after an accident and haven't manually protected my accident files, I could lose them! So that's why after an accident, I should either manually protect relevant files, or unplug the device.
  • The reason it's recommended to format the card every few weeks is to delete protected files.
  • The "Protect" button doesn't automatically protect the current files, but rather minus 10s to plus 20s. So the worst case scenario is that I press the Protect button to save a useless chunk, and then drive home (with limited capacity due to automatically protected files) overwriting my accident files.
  • This means the "Protect" button is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, and most customers (but not NextBase) think it ought to protect the previous and current files, not this different 30s block. So not worth using, other than to take a picture of something that's about to happen.

Is that right? Or have I mis-understood? Thanks in advance?

Nextbase recommend formatting once every three weeks to keep the card healthy, his comment doesn't make sense as you'd be formatting after 2 hours if that were the case

Haven't seen any reports of the Protect button making the camera lose data as he puts it either

Suggest you put your questions to @NextBase Support for clarification, they may want to know which Halfords it was so they can make sure the staff member in question gets some training

Hi al,l
I got a 522W as my first ever dashcam this weekend. The bloke in Halfords said two things I'm not sure I fully understand:- that I need to format occasionally as it won't automatically overwrite old recordings, and to not use the Protect button as it will lose data. Having read a bit of the manual and others posts here, I think I understand where he's coming from, but I just wanted to check I've understood correctly...

• Because I have front and rear cams and the standard 32GB, the capacity is 2hours.
  • Occasionally, the device will automatically protect files (1min), based on the GPS/accelerometer. These protected files don't get recorded over.
  • The risk is that if 90mins of protected files build up, then I'm really only reusing 30mins of coverage. So if I drive home after an accident and haven't manually protected my accident files, I could lose them! So that's why after an accident, I should either manually protect relevant files, or unplug the device.
  • The reason it's recommended to format the card every few weeks is to delete protected files.
  • The "Protect" button doesn't automatically protect the current files, but rather minus 10s to plus 20s. So the worst case scenario is that I press the Protect button to save a useless chunk, and then drive home (with limited capacity due to automatically protected files) overwriting my accident files.
  • This means the "Protect" button is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, and most customers (but not NextBase) think it ought to protect the previous and current files, not this different 30s block. So not worth using, other than to take a picture of something that's about to happen.

Is that right? Or have I mis-understood? Thanks in advance?
Hello Chris,

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage.

You can format the card by two methods;

1) On the Dash Cam Itself
2) On a Computer

1) On the Dash Cam:
a) Turn on the Dash Cam
b) Stop it recording
c) Open Settings
d) Go into Setup
e) Click 'Format'
f) Follow the instructions.

2) On a Computer:
a) Plug the SD card into the SD card port, or plug the provided USB cable into the port on the top of the camera (select UPDATE on the cam's screen).
b) When the drive appears, right click on the drive.
c) Select 'Format' (Windows) or 'Erase' (Mac)
d) Do not click the 'Quick Format box'. Please ensure it's formatted as exFAt or FAT32.
e) Follow the instructions.

Please be aware that formatting the SD card will delete all the data on the card, so if you wish to keep any footage, please copy this across to a computer before you start the formatting process.

It's crucial to format the SD card at least every two weeks to avoid any SD card failures.

When the 'Protect' function is activated a file containing 10 seconds prior to the incident and 20 seconds after is written to the Protected folder. The Protected Files are recorded for three different reasons:

1. The G-Sensor on the camera automatically protects the footage when unusual G-force is detected. You can adjust how sensitive the G-Sensor is within the camera's settings:

A) Turn the Dash Cam on
B) Ensure it is not recording (by pressing the red circle if required)
C) Go into Settings (the button in the top left)
D) Go into Video settings
E) Scroll across to ‘G-Sensor’
F) Change this to Medium, or Low.

2. The Protect Button is pressed (the Nextbase button under the screen).

3. Parking Mode footage.

When the Protect button is used, it doesn't lose the data, but records it in a different way to normal footage.

I hope this has helped.

Which Halfords store did you visit please?

Kind regards,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support

Back