522GW utter crap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just made the mistake of buying one of these along with the rear camera. It gets very hot , even in cold weather. The app and Alexa software is terrible, how can it be possible to make something so bad . The true value of these Chinese made turds is less than a quarter of their cost. Don't buy Nextbase, they started out as just about OK , but have got worse , and lets not forget the battery life , it will be dead within weeks of purchase. Never again , back to Halfrauds for a refund.

The true value of these Chinese made turds is less than a quarter of their cost..

That's business for you and how companies make money with huge profit margins and everything made in China. Everything you buy is the same these days.
I have a 522 and it's been fantastic I can't agree with your comments about it personally, all Dashcams get warm when in use especially the higher the resolution.
Alexa I find on the 522 is an arse to set up doesn't work too great. It's far better on my new 622.

Sent from my moto e(6) plus using Tapatalk

That's business for you and how companies make money with huge profit margins and everything made in China. Everything you buy is the same these days.
I have a 522 and it's been fantastic I can't agree with your comments about it personally, all Dashcams get warm when in use especially the higher the resolution.
Alexa I find on the 522 is an arse to set up doesn't work too great. It's far better on my new 622.

Lots of people have had issues with them. It's set on low res as two cameras are in use and it still gets hot, to hot to be normal. Maybe I got a bad one, the thing is so did many other people. My fault for not doing my home work.

I've just made the mistake of buying one of these along with the rear camera. It gets very hot , even in cold weather. The app and Alexa software is terrible, how can it be possible to make something so bad . The true value of these Chinese made turds is less than a quarter of their cost. Don't buy Nextbase, they started out as just about OK , but have got worse , and lets not forget the battery life , it will be dead within weeks of purchase. Never again , back to Halfrauds for a refund.
Hi there,

It is expected that the dashcam generate some heat while in use and more-so when a rear camera is used in conjunction with this however the operating temperature will never exceed that to which would cause any danger to the user or the device itself. Your unit is designed to work within -20° to 45°C (from -4° to 113°F), bear in mind that lower quality SD cards can exacerbate the heat generated if the write speed is slower than required (48mb/s) or does not write at a consistent speed.

In regards to the connection with the app for use with Alexa you can always contact our Technical Support line on 02920 866429 (UK standard call rate) or email support@nextbase.co.uk so that we can get you up and running with this.

Regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support

It's amazing how many people want to join a forum @stevemiller.sm13@gmail. just to heap complaints against a company.

My 522GW is still working flawlessly, as is all the other models I am running currently, and all those bar 1 (a very cheap unknown model which didn't perform too well) that I have had in the past.

I wonder Steve, had it worked flawlessly for you, would you have joined and said how good your purchase was? Somehow I think not...

Lots of people have had issues with them. It's set on low res as two cameras are in use and it still gets hot, to hot to be normal. Maybe I got a bad one, the thing is so did many other people. My fault for not doing my home work.
The reason it seems lots of people have issues is if you search a product online the majority of results you find are people who have had issues and having a moan/seeking advice, it's the same with most products/cars etc. Generally when people are happy with something they don't tend to bother taking to the internet or joining forums to announce it. So think of all the happy customers also? Which if there wasn't Nextbase wouldn't still be in business or so popular at least.
It seems 75% of people that join this forum join because they have an issue and once they've announced it they're usually never seen again.

I certainly wouldn't call the 522 utter crap, check out various reviews of the 522 on Google one of the best rated Dashcams out there. I'm very happy with my 522 it is fantastic bit of kit but it is now another spare Dashcam to my collection only due to upgrading to the 622, which is immense quality.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The reason it seems lots of people have issues is if you search a product online the majority of results you find are people who have had issues and having a moan/seeking advice, it's the same with most products/cars etc.
very true, I would say though with the 522 the majority of people that do have problems are the ones using it two channel, way less issues from people using it single channel

very true, I would say though with the 522 the majority of people that do have problems are the ones using it two channel, way less issues from people using it single channel
Yes for sure. All tho I've always used it two channel with the rear window cam for a year now in the other car, never once had a problem or frozen issue. Using a Sandisk 128GB extreme card in it too which never gets formatted.

Hi. Can I ask what is 2 Chanel and 1 Chanel please. TIA.

yeah the second camera (two channel) is an option on this model, when it's just the single channel front camera in use this model seems to have much less issues, majority of issues when used two channel would appear to be power related, or poor choice of memory card

Reactions: Mtz
I bought the whole kit from Halfords - the front and rear camera also the hard-wire kit for the rear camera. I had the kit professionally installed with a direct power source to the car battery. The camera starts up on ignition and I also have the settings on parking mode.

The only issues I then had were to adjust the settings and getting the camera to record simultaneously. At this point I share your frustration because it was not recording properly and was on the verge of taking it back and demanding a refund. I found this group and the support from Next base very helpful in helping me to solve the issues I was having.

Eventually, through of lots of investigation (and determination) I took the SD card back to Halford's who replaced it for me. (I did buy one myself and found it was not suitable for the Nextbase model) If you need a replacement SD card make sure it is a Nextbase card.

Today, the camera is working perfectly fine just like it says on the box, front and rear recordings are very clear and simultaneously parking mode is working fine, I don't have any power issues as it's connected directly to a power source. The only Issue I now have is with Alexa and blue tooth - I didn't buy the camera for Alexa, so I simply don't use it.

Nextbase software is also very useful to download onto your P.C.

Stick with it...:)

Glad you managed to sort it, Nextbase are very helpful when you catch them on here, just they can be hit or miss when you email them. With the SD Card, I have the Nextbase 128GB cards but I also use Sandisk 128 Extreme and Extreme Pro cards and never had no issues using them at all, as I find the Nextbase ones extortionate in comparison to the Sandisk Extrme 128gb for south of a score or Nextbase 128GB for £65.

Also the Sandisk Ultra cards work fine for 1080p cams. Used that brand in my 312 for years never once had an issue or frozen.

I have heard you can buy another brand of SD card - However, after all the issues I had and very nearly standing on the camera! I thought it's best to stick with Nextbase card to make sure I have done everything right...- I might be brave enough to buy one in the future....;)

I have heard you can buy another brand of SD card - However, after all the issues I had and very nearly standing on the camera! I thought it's best to stick with Nextbase card to make sure I have done everything right...- I might be brave enough to buy one in the future....;)
I fell lucky with my Nextbase 128GB card I got it off Ebay a company called Velocity Electronics who are an approved Nextbase seller for £35 on offer from £65. Certainly wouldn't pay full for one.

It's amazing how many people want to join a forum @stevemiller.sm13@gmail. just to heap complaints against a company.

My 522GW is still working flawlessly, as is all the other models I am running currently, and all those bar 1 (a very cheap unknown model which didn't perform too well) that I have had in the past.

I wonder Steve, had it worked flawlessly for you, would you have joined and said how good your purchase was? Somehow I think not...
I joined a while ago to write a review on the 522g but never got around to it...
Anyway, I’ve had mine for over a year and I’ve never had a bit of bother with it.
Got a double camera set up, Alexa working perfectly through iPhone and all Bluetoothed to the car stereo.
So, yes, most people do only speak up when they have issues or can’t read a manual properly, but I’m here to say that I think the 522 is great and I have no issues with it whatsoever.
cheers.

I joined a while ago to write a review on the 522g but never got around to it...
Anyway, I’ve had mine for over a year and I’ve never had a bit of bother with it.
Got a double camera set up, Alexa working perfectly through iPhone and all Bluetoothed to the car stereo.
So, yes, most people do only speak up when they have issues or can’t read a manual properly, but I’m here to say that I think the 522 is great and I have no issues with it whatsoever.
cheers.
I'm so glad your 522 is up and working fine. You must be a very educated person. However, please bear in mind that some people on this group may have dyslexia or some kind of learning difficulty, or even a diagnosed mental illness such a mild dementia, and they then turn to this designated support group for help. Not everyone is as special as you. Maybe you can pass on this wonderful gift you have in supporting the less fortunate on this page that 'cant read a manual properly....'

My 522 is also working perfectly fine...;)

I'm so glad your 522 is up and working fine. You must be a very educated person. However, please bear in mind that some people on this group may have dyslexia or some kind of learning difficulty, or even a diagnosed mental illness such a mild dementia, and they then turn to this designated support group for help. Not everyone is as special as you. Maybe you can pass on this wonderful gift you have in supporting the less fortunate on this page that 'cant read a manual properly....'

My 522 is also working perfectly fine...;)
I wonder if living very close to the Nextbase Technical Support Centre has something to do with it in his case :unsure:

Back