522GW won't switch off

Just_another_user

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Short problem description:
I've just installed a 522GW into my Audi A4 B8 (2009). I've used the NextBase hardwire kit and I've used the HORN fuse (25A). From the moment the fuse with the tap is plugged into the fuse slot, the camera switches ON and starts recording, even with the key out of the ignition. The horn does not work when the key is out of the ignition, so I don't know why the camera is permanently ON?

Auto Power-Off is set to ON
Screen Saver is set to ON
Park Mode set to OFF

As a side note, I've installed the Rear Cam as well, but don't think that has anything to do with it.

Any advice welcome.

The horn itself will be controlled by a relay. The live side of the relay can be live all the time as long as the relay switching voltage is controlled by the ignition (and horn switch). There are several circuits on my Honda like that.

You need to get amongst the fuse box with a voltmeter. (or make a different guess as to which fuse to use).

:) I was hoping someone would say I need to use a voltmeter :) Here's what I did.

I put the black lead on the metal door latch to earth it. I set it to 20V, then put the red lead on the exposed part of all the fuses on the driver side of the dash. Pretty much every single fuse gave me a power reading while the ignition was off (key out of the ignition) including the horn, so I agree with what you've posted above. The ones that didn't have power, still didn't have power when I put the key in the ignition, so I wasn't going to mess with those.

I don't understand why I seem to be the only person with this problem. Surely many other people out there have used a hardwire kit and would have come across this issue if it was a common problem.

Could the camera drain my car battery?

Test method seems sound.
I've heard of this problem before, but can't remember the car make. They had to pick up an ignition switched supply from the under the bonnet (hood, for our transatlantic friends) fuse box.
It's around this forum somewhere and was posted within the last two or three weeks if you want to go hunting for it.

If the cam is on all the time for whatever reason, that could indeed flatten your car battery.

:confused: Was afraid that's what I was going to have to do. I'll have to wait for this rain to ease up before trying to rewire this again.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

Quick update.

Out of sheer frustration I tried all of the fuses in the black carrier bay on the driver side and found the Air Conditioner fuse to be an ignition switched fuse. My dash cam now turns off when the car is off. Thanks again being the sounding board.

Back