550 blurry picture weeks after i got it?

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe I am crazy but i feel like my blackvue has lost focus... is that possible, for it to LOSE focus?

I will upload some sample videos but since i have a newer civic, the dash is very visible with the low slanted windscreen. it is very very focused on my dash and cars more than 15 feet away from my are blurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read this post http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/dr550-gw-quality.6191/ Its just your imagination they are all slightly blurry until you do the fix. its easy I used a set of pliers and a bit of kitchen roll to stop scratches.
awesome i tried it and it seems to help a bit but hell its still too hard to read license plates unless they are 10-15 feet directly in front since it is so pixelated.

edit:

actually i dont know if it did, the russian said spin it counter clockwise, the other video said the other way. i tried again doing it the way the russian did it, but it was too dark (it was 9pm) to tell, and im going out of town tomorrow riding with someone else so i wont have it on this trip.

this does give me the idea to spray paint that chrome part black tho, does that chrome have any benefit for the lens picture quality?

i did get the CPL filter too so when thats in you cant see it anyways but if i take it off i hate how obvious it looks. probably going to take off the mount and spray paint that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
any advice that tells you which way you need to turn it to bring it into focus is poor advice

clockwise moves the lens closer to the sensor thus i believe brining the focus towards the camera so anti clockwise should wind the lens out making distance clearer but I am sure i turned mine clockwise.. I left my cover off the camera and plugged it in then used my iphone to connect and view the footage live, i just chose a reg number at a longer distance and adjusted to see it clearer.

The point is you can't know which way the focus is out so generic advice to turn the lens clockwise is silly at best

As above, I've done so many focus 'tweaks' to the lens than I can now pop the lens ring off and turn the lens with my fingers!

That said, you'll never get it sharp and reading number plates when travelling at speed... because of the **** bitrate, they're blocky anyway! Lol

lol yip...

Its hard to remember why but having installed cctv for some years I still cant remember what way to wind the lens for a standard parabolic cctv camera lens... i do however remember the blackvue dr550gw camera i have has the same lens and the same camera hardware as all the other dr550gw cameras. and I also remember that i had to unscrew eg turn the lens counter clockwise to break the seal turning it into the camera could force the thread lock into the threads making it harder to adjust. i also remember that after unscrewing the lens I had to wind it in by around 4-5 degrees to get any sort of clarity at 15 foot. i am lucky as there is a nice clear sign and a car park right near my house so I parked on the road about the right distance away then logged onto the camera and watched for the clear point going fuzzy then wound it the other way until it went fuzzy again then set the lens half way between the two. that means turning clockwise btw then anti clockwise... after checking my lens for the two dots showing the original position its about 3 mm round to the right eg clockwise or wound in from the original position to make numbers clearer.

it uses the same lens as my old pinhole cameras and all the other board mounted mini cameras i used to set up as a CCTV installer many years ago they all work in the same way the closer the lens the clearer distance objects become, I have double checked this with the multitude of CCTV cameras in my house, and they all do the same. however the focus rings on the more expensive lenses does do a different thing but as per 90% of lenses if you unscrew the lens so that it is out of the mounting point slightly then focus into a closer object then screw the lens in slightly it will focus 90% of the time into further distance objects.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S DR550GW-2CH 1
BelgianEvo DR550GW-2CH 3
Back