5v 3.3 amp ?

Rev-al

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
I wonder if the din plug feed attached to my motorcycle 12v socket is too much for the mobius camera ? I used it successfully for two hours today - but this evening I have read that the feed should be only 1A.
Will I be damaging my Mobius if I continue to use the 3.3 A din plug ?
Many thanks

I assume you are using 12 to 5V voltage converter? What says on voltage converter about Amp output ?

Added:
Have you measured 3.3Amp from 12V socket or from 5V miniusb plug ?

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a 12v to 5v converter, which says output is 3.3A
I tried to measure the output on a meter but for some reason couldn't get a reading. The 12v to 5v converter was advertised as a 3.3 amp output.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a 12v to 5v converter, which says output is 3.3A
I tried to measure the output on a meter but for some reason couldn't get a reading. The 12v to 5v converter was advertised as a 3.3 amp output.
You have to put your meter in serial to your camera in order to measure current. i.e. cut the positive wire from the converter to your camera and connect your meter between the two ends. You measure voltage in parallel, i.e. across the negative and positive wires.
The camera will only draw the amount of current (Amps) it needs. It needs up to 1A at times, so your converter must be able to supply 1A minimum. You can use your camera with a converter that can supply hundreds of amps without any problem. What is important is that the converter properly regulates the voltage to 5V. The supplied voltage must not be under 4.75V or over 5.25V when the camera is recording. A sure sign of an underpowered (Amp-wise) converter is that it will get abnormally hot during usage. The better ones will have circuitry to turn it off if your device draws too much current, the cheaper ones will possibly fail, destroying a component or two and likely destroy your device as well. They will certainly not be able to supply the required 5V if you draw too much current. So, to summarize, 1A is the minimum, more Amps doesn't do any harm. Your 3.3Amp charger is perfect and has a good safety margin in case you want to connect a second camera to it.

Isoprop - many thanks for your excellent comprehensive answer. That has helped me greatly.
Kind regards
Al.

Back