6 foot Viofo cable which comes with the A129 adequate for an SUV? Or need the 8 foot one?

LMJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo (not installed yet)
I have a Lexus RX. I imagine comparable size vehicles will be a Toyota Highlander, BMW X5 and Acura MDX etc. Am thinking about running the thick (emphazied) cable under the door sill plates as well. Anyone try that? Seems so think its gonna bulge out of the headliner and B pillar.

It's thick but not so thick that it poses a problem being tucked behind the headliner or trim panels.

If you plan on going the floor route for a SUV, I think you should get the 8 metre cable (just to be safe).

the 6M cable is longer than needed when going through the roof, that's generally the better way to do it but if you have side curtain airbags and you're not confident doing that yourself you'd be better off getting a pro to do it, easy job for a competent car radio installer, they're used to dealing with routing cables through interior trims etc

jokin I understand SG sells a 19 foot cable which may work. I posted a question for you on another thread regarding this as the issue was brought up by another person in the past.

Not gonna take down the headliner or pay an installer for a sub $200 cam install. The headliner and other interior trim will cost far more to replace if damaged or reinstalled incorrectly even by a so called professional which IMO are a roll of the dice.

If you can provide more clarity on your 19 feet product I may jsut run it along the floor of the vehicle as this whole airbag thing bothers me. I dont care about looks. With the level of slack that cable will offer nothing will be damaged if its sitting under the floor mats IMO.

For other users in the future I post my measurements:

2004 RX measurements:

From right of rear view mirror to A pillar: 2’

Across A pillar: 4”

Along from top of front door to B pillar: 2’ 3”

From B pillar to C pillar (across top of rear door): 2’

From C pillar to rear gate (along top): 2’ 6”

From side of rear gate to middle of rear gate: 1’11” (rough estimate)

Total length using a tape measure: 12’

Not gonna take down the headliner or pay an installer for a sub $200 cam install. The headliner and other interior trim will cost far more to replace if damaged or reinstalled incorrectly even by a so called professional which IMO are a roll of the dice.

the install requirements of a $500 camera and a $200 camera are the same, how much you spend on the camera doesn't change that

The Viofo comes with a 6M (19 foot) cable as standard, there is also a longer option but it doesn't sound like you'll need that anyway

OMG I feel like a big idiot. Basic presumptuious assumption when I read 6M per the specs as 6 feet as feet is the way we Americans measure things rather than the metric system. I considered it it designed for the American market with American focused packaging and if the rest of the world wanted to use it then they could. Thank you for pointing it out. Much appreciated.

6 meters should be OK for SUV, personally I installed on a X3, long enough and still need hide part of the cable.

I have a ford focus hatchback 3º generation and the cable 6 meters did not for me. I put it in drive side, A column and doors lower rubber (because my car has side airbags and curtain airbag). I don´t know where I can find a 8 meter cable, in "capture your action" has, but they do not ships to Brazil.

I have a ford focus hatchback 3º generation and the cable 6 meters did not for me. I put it in drive side, A column and doors lower rubber (because my car has side airbags and curtain airbag). I don´t know where I can find a 8 meter cable, in "capture your action" has, but they do not ships to Brazil.
I would, but I don't think you'd want to pay the shipping cost for a cable. Probably much cheaper through Viofo.

I would, but I don't think you'd want to pay the shipping cost for a cable. Probably much cheaper through Viofo.
Yes, I saw in your website that you ships at UPS. When UPS deliver here, we pay a big rate (Brazil is sad). Viofo by China is more easy for me. Thanks for answer!

I sold my 2004 RX and now have a pair of Honda CRV's. (both with A129s) The vehicles are virtually identical in size, and you should have no problem at all with the cable length. (almost 20 feet)

My advice is not to get too close to the radio antenna, because some people report a conflict between the two wires if they are nearby. (if you even use/care about satellite radio)

Best regards

Back