612 GW causing SD cards to become read only

David Mullen

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
My Daughter has a 612GW which ran ok for the last 12 months with a sandisk 32GB U1 (10mb/sec write). When I turn on the dash cam, it prompts me to insert an sd card, even though the sandisk card is already inserted. I reset the dash cam to factory default, but the problem persists. I can see the contents of the sd card on a PC, but I cannot format it because it comes up as read only. I tried another micro sd (Nextbase 16gb U1) and again, the 612GW did not recognise it, and the card subsequently became read only when I mounted it on a PC. From reading threads on this forum, I know I have the wrong card for this dash cam model, and I will buy the correct card tomorrow (Nextbase 64gb U3), but I`m curious to know if anybody has seen this problem before.

David

Attachments

• Nextbase 16gb.jpg
    Nextbase 16gb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Sandisk 32gb micro SD.jpg
    Sandisk 32gb micro SD.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1
My first thoughts is similar to what some TV's do to memory cards and sticks.

They sometimes format the cards into a format the device can read but a PC can't.

I ruined a perfectly good USB stick years ago by allowing a Sony TV to 'prepare' it.

Does the 612 allow formatting ?

Hi Kremmen,
The 612 does not recognise the SD card.. asking me to insert an sd card even though there is one already inserted. Reading around this problem, I realise that dashcams are hard on sd cards, where the recordings are continueously looped, and that regular formatting of the card is essential to prolong its life.... something I have not done !
I bought a Nextbase card from Halfords today (128gb U3) and it works ok in the dashcam.

I cannot remember the last time I formatted my card.

I'm not using Nextbase now but each week I just connect my dashcam to the PC and cut/paste the contents to the PC for a short while just in case I need any proof of anything.
My 128Gb Samsung Evo Plus U3 has been in my dashcam for almost 4 years and is still going strong.

I used to do the same with my Nextbase 402, 412 and 380, very rarely formatted, just the weekly cut/paste. I don't have any sensors or parking mode active so it's just consecutive driving files.

However, I don't do enough weekly miles to fill the card.

Back