612GW Parking Mode

Rickn55

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622 4k + rwc, 522, 322, 612 4K and 312 x2
Hi, looking at upgrading my 312GW to a 612GW I've heard it has motion sensor for parking mode does that mean it will switch on and record if someone walk past the car rather than something hitting the car?
Also if it has this feature will it work with the dashcam permanently plugged into the cig lighter under the glovebox rather than being hardwired ?

If the Parking mode follows the lower numbered Nextbase models, then no, it doesn't work that way.
It is G sensitive, and starts up the cam and starts recording in response to a bump, (or you closing/opening the door). In the case of a bump, probably just in time to see the culprit drive off.:eek:
That may be duff gen, as I don't have a 612, just a 312 and a lot of reading on this forum about how Nextbase parking mode works.

Thanks for shedding some light. I think you maybe correct on that, As I can't find anything on the internet about the "motion sensor" working to pick people/cars up as they go past. The stuff I keep coming across basically says the same as you. A bit misleading though from Nextbase marketing it as a "motion sensor" as you naturally think it will pick stuff up as it goes past rather than actually hitting you like it said with the 312. In Halfords words for the 612
"Intelligent Parking Mode automatically records when motion is detected"

I've got a 612GW and my understanding is also that the activation of "parking mode" is purely driven by the "g sensor" i.e. a bump/slamming a card door etc, there is no forward facing "motion sensor" (like active cruise control).

My Blackvue has motion sensing (things moving in the field of view). But to do that, the cam has to be buffering the video all the time, then when it detects movement, commits that and a few seconds before to the SD card as an event. This of course requires either an enormous capacity internal battery (totally impractical) or a connection to a permanent 12V supply from the car (or secondary battery.

But another snag with motion sensing other than that mentioned above, is that if you park in Tesco's car park, the bloody camera is recording non-stop in parking mode as there is always inconsiderate people walking about in front of the car.:ROFLMAO:

"Intelligent Parking Mode automatically records when motion is detected"
And boots up the camera and starts recording a few seconds later just as the culprit legs it. Hopefully he is still in the field of view for enough time to catch a good description or the Reg plate.:cry:

In other words it's a waste of time. Hmm might just stick to my 312 as it seems the 612 doesn't offer much more other than 4k recording which demands an expensive 128gb memory card and the 612 seems plagued with problems looking at some of the posts on here about it. Never had an issue with my 312 in the 4 years I've had it.

Sounds like a plan to me Rick.;):)

Back