612GW 'recording stopped'

megamih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I got my 612GW 07/03/2019 from Halfords. Same day purchased Samsung EVO plus 128GB microsd card. After about a month of usage I started to notice periodic 'recording stopped' messages from dashcam.
And now looks like issue progress - I have several 'recording stopped' messages per day :( I've installed latest R06.8 firmware - but same issues. sdcard looks completely fine.
Is there any way to debug dashcam to check what causes issues or should I go straight to Nextbase support?

Samsung EVO plus 128GB microsd card

sdcard.jpg

H2testw results

h2testw.png

Nextbase 612GW info

612gw.jpg

Try formatting the card to FAT32 - not exFAT.

Try that.

Paul.

Try formatting the card to FAT32 - not exFAT.
Hi Paul,
Thank you - I'll give it a try. But taking into account, that 612GW by default formats my card to exFAT and, you know, how tricky is to properly (I mean, align partition etc.) format 128GB card to fat32 under windows these days - I do not think this can be recommended to average person :)

Anyway, I'll update thread after several days of usage.

update

OK, after partitioning my sdcard with diskpart

DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk 4
DISKPART> clean
DISKPART> create partition primary align=8192
DISKPART> exit

and creating fat32 with FAT32 format

fat32_fomat.png

I got the following from 612GW

not_supported.jpg

and after pressing OK and formatting sdcard - I have exFAT again :)

So, looks like wrong move to me.

Last edited:
Hi @megamih,

From everything that you've described I'd have to say that I don't think this is any kind of camera fault or human error, but a card fault. I'm very sorry to say that even though you've bought a 128GB U3 card (a big step closer than most people get), Samsung are aware that the cards are not fully compatible/able to cope with Dash Cam environments. The read speeds are fantastic, but the write speeds are not up to scratch I'm afraid. It's usually in the small print;

* Warranty does not extend to dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive uses. *

Samsung did do a High Endurance card suitable for Dash Cams, but they seem to no longer stock them. They may be available elsewhere online, but be careful of counterfeit cards!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. What I can do is recommend two known compatible cards;

Purchasing one of these two cards should sort all of your Card errors.
Let me know how you get on and if there's anything else I can do to help.

Regards,
Millie

Hi @megamih,
From everything that you've described I'd have to say that I don't think this is any kind of camera fault or human error, but a card fault.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. What I can do is recommend two known compatible cards;
Purchasing one of these two cards should sort all of your Card errors.
Hi Millie,

It is strange, that neither nextbase site nor 612GW manual does not mention, that dashcam is limited to two specific sdcards only. Instead, only 'a quality branded U3 type micro SD card' is mentioned, which, I believe, I already have.
Also it is strange, that declared "up to 90 MB/s" write speed for Samsung card I have is definitely higher, then declared "Up to 70MB/s" for Nextbase MicroSDXC and "up to 40MB/s" for SanDisk high endurance microsd cards.
And h2testw results show consistent real (not "up to") > 60 MB/s write speed for Samsung card I have. And according to SD Standard for Video Recording it is more then enough to meat U3 standard, which is the only thing mentioned on nextbase site and 612GW manual.
But regardless all this strange things I'll surely give a try to Nextbase MicroSDXC, which is officially sold in Halfords only, or to SanDisk card, if I'll be able to find reliable re-seller.

Thank you very much for reply, I'll keep thread updated further :)

Last edited:
I wonder, maybe it is not possible for companies to advertise "Do not use XXX cards" in their products without leaving themselves open to some sort of legal challenge?

Possibly but there is no need. They could recommend that you use only 'High Endurance' type cards as it seems that a lot of non-high endurance cards have the dreaded 'guarantee void if used in dashcams' in the small print.

Morning,

Our Dash Cams aren't limited to two specific cards, we just advise using one of the two SD Cards previously mentioned as, as far as we're aware, they're the only two readily available High Endurance cards (still on sale from the Manufactures) which are compatible with the Dash Cams that do not have 'Not for use with Dash Cams' in the small print. If all U3 Cards worked with the cameras (like the Samsung one you've purchased), that small print would be unnecessary. The manufactures are aware of the problem, but don't openly immediately state that in the specifications. We'd also be interested to know what they've limited about the cards to prevent them working with Dash Cams as the specifications mean they should work, but SD Card issues are one of our biggest customer problems.

Sorry for the confusion.

Millie

The manufactures are aware of the problem, but don't openly immediately state that in the specifications.
Hi Millie,
To be 100% fair regarding warranty limitations you've mentioned, the following should be taken into account:
1. According to Nextbase Warranty, 'All Nextbase products players come with a 12-month UK warranty from new.' - which means, that this related to Nexbase 128GB U3 microSD Card too.
2. According to SanDisk Warranty SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring microSDHC/microSDXC Card warranty period is limited by 2 years (and up to 10000 hours of video for 128GB card).
3. And Samsung provides 10-year limited warranty only - that is why all 10 years do not apply to dashcam, CCTV, surveillance camera and other write-intensive uses.
4. SD Standard for Video Recording, which is only mentioned by Nextbase (if I'm wrong - could you please point me to other requirement), does not regulate 'endurance', but speed only.

So, as for me, Nextbase is misleading their customers, saying only, that 'a quality branded U3 type micro SD card' required to succeed with 612GW, and forgetting to include 'High Endurance' requirement.

Hi megamig,

I'm a little confused as to what the aim of the above post is. Yes, Nextbase absolutely include ALL products in our warranty, including our SD Cards. We state that with our products, on the packaging, on the website, in the manuals etc. Our SD cards are specifically designed to be constantly overwritten, and so work well in a Dash Cams environment. They have a 12 month warranty, however if customers have difficulty with a Nextbase SD card after that period and can provide proof of purchase, we always aim to find a resolution.
SanDisk have also specially designed their High Endurance cards to survive the strenuous environment and overwriting of Dash Cams, hence we also recommend them.
Samsung have the small print on a number of cards relating to 'Unsuitable for use in Dash Cams' due to their being, well, unsuitable for use in Dash Cams. There was a compatible Samsung card, but they no longer sell it;
* Warranty is limited for any type of surveillance system. *

As to misleading customers; we only recommend cards that are suitable for use in Dash Cams, and will provide the customer with a warranty. We cannot list all the cards that have the 'Unsuitable for Dash Cams' in the small print for obvious reasons. We recommend high endurance cards because they come with a warranty. We would recommend that customers read the Terms and Conditions of the non-Nextbase products they're buying to check whether they're suitable or unsuitable for use in Dash Cams, but obviously we cannot force them to do such. I've forwarded your recommendation about the High Endurance element to the Nextbase Product Team, and they've advised me that there will soon be a separate section on the Nextbase website that will advise customers about the requirements and warranty status of compatible SD cards.

Millie

Hi megamig,
I'm a little confused as to what the aim of the above post is.
I had that problem as well Millie.
I took the 'cut and thrust' of a previous post to be that
It is strange, that neither nextbase site nor 612GW manual does not mention, that dashcam is limited to two specific sdcards only. Instead, only 'a quality branded U3 type micro SD card' is mentioned, which, I believe, I already have.
Which I have some sympathy towards if the recommendation doesn't indicate 'High Endurance' cards are the ones to use.

I use this in my 612GW when connected:

we only recommend cards that are suitable for use in Dash Cams, and will provide the customer with a warranty.
Hi Millie,
I can argue with this - as I told, there is nothing even close to such recommendations on nextbase site and 612GW manual. If I'm wrong - please, point me to such. And I do not think, that 'recommending' after customer bought your device is a normal practice.
We cannot list all the cards that have the 'Unsuitable for Dash Cams' in the small print for obvious reasons.
Sure, but from what I know there is a good practice to list compatible / tested cards. Which nextbase does not openly follow.
We would recommend that customers read the Terms and Conditions of the non-Nextbase products they're buying to check whether they're suitable or unsuitable for use in Dash Cams
Thank you very much for this. Wish I had such recommendation before buying two nextbase devices.

Long story short. GBP65 more - and I'm proud owner of Nextbase 128GB U3 Micro SD card from Halfords (Yes, they sell them half-price with nextbase devices now. No, they are not able to sell it half-price to me, regardless the fact I've bought 612GW in March and 412GW in April this year).

nextbase_sdcard.jpg

Looks like a privilege to own nextbase device :D

Thank you to all involved. Will keep thread updated further.

I meant that the card was unavailable not your dashcam.

Still not sure what you are on about.
Take your link and you will see exactly what I mean.
Link repeated here for your convenience Amazon Link

Now I see what you mean. They're out of stock.

Back