622 Experience so far

monkfish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. New user here.

Have had a 622 with a rear window cam since mid August - it's my first camera system and I had it fitted at Halfords who did a pretty good job. When I asked, the guy fitting it knew about looping the rear cable so as not to suffer interference with DAB and to be fair I haven't noticed any problems at all. Installation was all neat and tidy with no problems. As soon as I switched it on it downloaded and installed the latest firmware.

THE GOOD
  • I think the footage quality is pretty good although I haven't spent ages going through it. Whenever I have looked at it, it has been fine. In comparison, my dad had a car pull out of a junction and pass him on the wrong side of the road and his camera couldn't even make out the offending vehicle's number plate despite it being so close. We could just about work out it was an Aston Martin.
  • The ability to turn audio recording off was a must - no-one want to hear my wife singing.
  • The screen saver stops the whole car being lit up at night.
  • It's still quite discreet despite its size.
  • Alexa can be turned off

THE BAD
  • A few days after fitting we experienced a lock up of the 622 whereby it switches itself on with the engine but the screen stays frozen. It seems this is related to the memory card being full. It can happen mid-journey too if the car switches itself off at traffic lights, for example. I bought a 128Gb Samsung U3 rated card which should be fine. The card shows it's full but at this point cannot be formatted by the camera. I have to wait until I am able to connect the phone app to it and then I can sometimes format the card. Sometimes this doesn't work and I have to format the card using my computer. Once formatted, the camera works fine. In the intervening 6 weeks I have had this problem continually to the point where I decided to spend an extortionate amount on a Nextbase card - twice the price for half the storage. Let's see how this behaves...
  • The parking mode seems to be a waste of time as whenever I start the engine the camera never seems to have any charge. There's never any recording so it's not as if it's been active. After driving around, the battery shows it's charged but then it's flat again by the next day.
  • Not specific to the 622 (unless it's a weight issue) - The sticky pad holding the camera mount to the screen is useless. After about a month, the camera slowly begins its bid for freedom, sometime stopping halfway and sitting at an angle, or dropping completely, often pulling the wires from the headlining with it. I've replace the pads but have had the same situation. Would be interested hearing if anyone has a recommendation for fixing this. Just to confirm - the pad is well and truly stuck to the glass. It's the other side that is coming loose.

Cheers.

Welcome to DCT @monkfish :)

For the mounting pad you could try wiping the surface with isopropyl alcohol or slightly scuffing it with very fine sandpaper or steel wool. You'll probably need another mounting pad though, as there could have been oils leaching from the new plastic causing the loss of bonding. This does sometimes happen with about all brands of cams but is worst with heavier cams or ones with smaller mounting pad surfaces. 3M who makes most of the pads advises to install only the mount and not the cam for at least 24 hours, as the bond will actually increase in that time but only if there's nothing really pulling on it. Most folks miss this as it's never referred to in the cam mounting instructions :(

Unfortunately there have been many issues reported with the second series of NextBase cams, and each model has it's own set of problems. Read through the forums here on your specific model to see what others using it have experienced and what has been done to solve things. Just know that some problems are still ongoing and unsolved. NextBase used to have a factory representative or two on these forums but they haven't posted here in a long time so if you need factory support you'll have to send them an email or phone them.

Phil

Thanks Phil - will have a go at redoing the mount from scratch and in line with your suggestions.
Cheers!

Try and get 3M VHB double sided tape. Very High Bond should do the trick.

I hope this isn't off topic but I have just got the camera and for the life of me, it simply won't connect to my iPhone despite me following the directions step by step and also resetting my network settings on iPhone, resetting the camera, uninstalling and reinstalling the NBMC app, data off, wifi on and off, airplane mode on then off, restaring iPhone etc... and nothing works - my phone simply doesn't 'find' the camera on bluetooth but curiously the camera details 'appear' in the app BUT with a message saying 'Status: waiting for a connection'! Any ideas anyone or is this really a lemon as a chap from Nextbase is suggesting? The thought of having to unwire my car to send this back to QVC and then go through the process again is a real pain - I know it's not hard but if I can resolve this problem, that would be great!! Thanks for your help.

@monkfish

Hi all, also a new user here.

I've owned the 622GW for almost 2 months now and have encountered many of the problems you describe. I use it with the rear view camera module (which I really like).

The constant freezing of the unit is become extremely frustrating. I've had many email conversations with Nextbase support but the reoccurring theme is me being told I MUST buy one of their Nextbase branded SD cards despite me using a San Disk Max Endurance 128GB card specifically designed to be used in devices like these...

Just wondering how you're faring with the Nextbase branded card?

Cheers

@monkfish

... use it with the rear view camera module (which I really like).

The constant freezing of the unit is become extremely frustrating...

While your question is about Nextbase SD-card, You could try and completely disconnect the HDMI connector from the camera and see if the freezing stop.

After I cleaned all off the connections to rear camera my freezing stopped, bare one freeze over a week time.

I cleaned it with spray, as small amount of spray that it would be possible.

@monkfish

I've owned the 622GW for almost 2 months now and have encountered many of the problems you describe. I use it with the rear view camera module (which I really like).

The constant freezing of the unit is become extremely frustrating. I've had many email conversations with Nextbase support but the reoccurring theme is me being told I MUST buy one of their Nextbase branded SD cards despite me using a San Disk Max Endurance 128GB card specifically designed to be used in devices like these...

Cheers
It pains me to say that I haven't experienced a freeze since using one of their cards :rolleyes:

So more than a month on since switching to their branded card the camera hasn’t failed once.

I have however had continued fun and games with the adhesives. I tried some VHB as recommended by @Kremmen but that didn’t help either. I then realised that the GoPro mounts I have attached to my motorbike have VHB pads too and yet they’re good for xxx mph so why a dashcam inside a car can’t cope I have no idea. I started again with the mount and for the past two weeks the camera hasn’t budged. Hopefully that’s the end of that particular issue!

The style of the Nextbase cams puts a fair amount of strain on the mount. Also, the higher spec cameras are heavy. I seem to remember the old series 612 was considerably heavier than the 412.

As a result the screen needs to be squeaky clean and you must leave the VHB to cure for at least 24hrs before attaching the camera.

Hopefully, in the summer when the sun hits the windscreen it will stay stuck.

So more than a month on since switching to their branded card the camera hasn’t failed once.

I have however had continued fun and games with the adhesives. I tried some VHB as recommended by @Kremmen but that didn’t help either. I then realised that the GoPro mounts I have attached to my motorbike have VHB pads too and yet they’re good for xxx mph so why a dashcam inside a car can’t cope I have no idea. I started again with the mount and for the past two weeks the camera hasn’t budged. Hopefully that’s the end of that particular issue!
There are different types of 3M VHB tape. The one recommended for dashcams is #5952. Glass must be spotless; wiping with isopropyl alcohol is good. Once it's dry press mount into place carefully; you get one chance only. I sometimes like doing this with the cam in place so I can better see it's straight. Hold for about one minute, remove cam if you had it attached , then wait 24 hours before applying (dashcam to mount permanently.

Phil

@monkfish

Do you have image stabilization enabled? Try it turned off, see my post. Let us know if that is the root cause.

Do you have image stabilization enabled? Try it turned off, see my post. Let us know if that is the root cause.
Image stabilisation is so poor. The bonnet looks too wavey and the colours look so unnatural.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D 622GW 1
Back