622GW Freez at startup

DreamDriver

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
My 622GW freez at startup from time to time, the touch screen don't work and it is impossibel to turn it of.
I will try to set "Parking mode" to "Off" from now on, because it often starts before I turn on the car and maybe it could cause a conflict in recording when the car starts.
So maybe setting Parking mode to off, can be a short term solution, I will try to remember to post here how it goes ;o)

NEXTBASE it would be so nice, if this problem was adressed by you, in the next FW version, this have been an issue for some time and a similar problems, if not the same, are in 522GW, SO please do some professionel handling of this problem.

622GW
Rear Window Cam
SD card: Scandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-1 U3
FW Ver. 6.2
Dual Files Off
All Stamps On
G-Sensor Off
Parking mode On - Will be set Off in future

UPDATE 14-04-2021

It works perfectly, IF you end the "Secure recording" started by the "Parking mode" function, BEFORE you start the car or don't use the "Parking mode" function at all.

The problem is, that the FW does not make sure, that the recording initated by the "Parking Mode" are finalized and writen correctly to the SD card, before the normal "Power on / start car" sekvens are excecuted.
The result are corrupted communication to the SD card and a dead lock situation in the writing process

So it seems that NextBase has some room for improvements in some future FW update.

Some one asked what sd card I use: Scandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-1 U3 and in the troubel shoot fase it was formated almost daily.

Last edited:
My 622GW freez at startup from time to time, the touch screen don't work and it is impossibel to turn it of.
I will try to set "Parking mode" to "Off" from now on, because it often starts before I turn on the car and maybe it could cause a conflict in recording when the car starts.
So maybe setting Parking mode to off, can be a short term solution, I will try to remember to post here how it goes ;o)

NEXTBASE it would be so nice, if this problem was adressed by you, in the next FW version, this have been an issue for some time and a similar problems, if not the same, are in 522GW, SO please do some professionel handling of this problem.

622GW
Rear Window Cam
FW Ver. 6.2
Dual Files Off
All Stamps On
G-Sensor Off

What SD brand of SD Card are you using? I have found on past Nextbase Dashcams the parking mode can be a tad troublesome with the same issues as you, my old 612 4K used to freeze on start up when parking mode was on, used to have to press the tiny reset button on the underside of the Dashcam unit to sort it out. I find parking mode is naff imo as you just end up with freezing problems and a folder full of protected files everytime you open or shut your car door. If I'm parking somewhere I tend to leave the Dashcam recording the whole time via the USB cable and powerbank hidden under the sun visor so if anything does happen the whole lot has been captured. Also Parking mode I find is slow anyway, I mean by the time it has noticed impact, turned on and starting recording who ever hit your car has driven or ran off or what ever happened.

Also out of interest are you using a rear window camera with your 622?

622GW
Rear Window Cam
FW Ver. 6.2
Dual Files Off
All Stamps On
G-Sensor Off

Hello,

Freezing is symptomatic of an SD card problem. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please turn on the Camera. Does it now start normally?

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When was the SD card purchased?
How often do you format the SD card?

Please also ensure your camera is updated to the latest firmware- R06.4, not R06.2.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

622GW
Rear Window Cam
FW Ver. 6.2
Dual Files Off
All Stamps On
G-Sensor Off

UPDATE

It works perfectly, IF you end the "Secure recording" started by the "Parking mode" function, BEFORE you start the car or don't use the "Parking mode" function at all.

The problem is, that the FW does not make sure, that the recording initated by the "Parking Mode" are finalized and writen correctly to the SD card, before the normal "Power on / start car" sekvens are excecuted.
The result are corrupted communication to the SD card and a dead lock situation in the writing process

So it seems that NextBase has some room for improvements in some future FW update.

Some one asked what sd card I use: Scandisk Extreme Pro 128GB SDXC UHS-1 U3 and in the troubel shoot fase it was formated almost daily.

Last edited:
I think your a couple firmware revisions behind, you mentioned 6.2 above and 6.4 is on the vendors website.

UPDATE

Hello,

We do not recommend using the SanDisk Ultra, Extreme or Pro in Nextbase cameras as were aware of multiple SD card failures and corruptions with these cards. We only recommend using a Nextbase SD card with your Nextbase camera to ensure the SD card functions correctly. I've sent you a private message regarding accessing one of these in Denmark.

Kind regards,
Millie- Nextbase Technical Support

I have what I think might be the same issue. I have the 622gw with rear window cam. Mine is hardwired and has the 128Gb Nextbase u3 card in it.
Parking mode is on etc.

The cam keeps freezing in different states. Sometimes nothing at all is displayed, sometimes a badly exposed video and sometimes the video displays but nothing is written to the card and all touchscreen functions do not work. I have to press the reset button to get it working.

I have what I think might be the same issue. I have the 622gw with rear window cam. Mine is hardwired and has the 128Gb Nextbase u3 card in it.
Parking mode is on etc.

The cam keeps freezing in different states. Sometimes nothing at all is displayed, sometimes a badly exposed video and sometimes the video displays but nothing is written to the card and all touchscreen functions do not work. I have to press the reset button to get it working.
This also appears to happen when the datacard is close to 100% full. Regularly formatting the card seems to help in this respect but honestly I'd expect the system to self manage space and delete non-protected files when necessary oldest first.

This also appears to happen when the datacard is close to 100% full. Regularly formatting the card seems to help in this respect but honestly I'd expect the system to self manage space and delete non-protected files when necessary oldest first.

Hello,

What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?
Is the dashcam on firmware version R10.5 please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

I have the 622gw with rear window cam. Mine is hardwired and has the 128Gb Nextbase u3 card in it.
Parking mode, duplicate files etc is on. Firmware 10.5
Purchased direct from Nextbase in Feb this year.
Now formatting approximately weekly. Last format last week.
Not sure what formatting achieves beyond deleting the files on the card though unless there is corruption due to poor write management?

Hello,

Regarding the recording lengths, the camera will record continuously in small segments (1,2, or 3 minutes). It will record these segments consecutively until the SD card is full. Then the oldest piece of footage will be deleted and the newest will be saved in it's place. This will continue looping and is called Continuous Overwriting. The Dash Cam does this automatically to allow for more footage to be recorded and the old, unnecessary footage to be deleted without manual intervention.

However Protected Files are not overwritten in the same way as normal files. If you do not format regularly, these files can build up and reduce the capacity of storage available for normal footage. It is essential to format every two weeks to delete any protected files and clear the card ready for continued usage.

Does the freezing issue occur if you use the cigarette lighter cable or USB cable to power the camera please?

Kind regards,
Millie

OK, so it appears in my case that the auto saved images due to the parking mode/G-sensor (which are auto locked) are filling the memory, especially when dual files is enabled and the rear camera is attached.

Can we have a firmware update that :-

1. Allows us to set whether parking mode/g sensor auto locks files.
or better still
2. has a second lock level where a user initiated lock never allows the files to be over-written but where auto locked files are 'partially' locked can get over-written if there are no unlocked files to over-write that are over a day old.

Also :-

provide an on-screen and audible warning when a user set level of (recoverable) space is breached i.e warns when less than 5 mins of blank and recoverable recording space is left based on current settings
provide a display of recording time left based on current settings (both without files being deleted and with delete-able files being removed) when the unit is powered on or comes out of standby mode.

Many thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, I have passed this onto our Development Team for consideration. I'd recommend formatting the SD card regularly to ensure protected files aren't building up, or using a Nextbase 256GB U3 SD card instead.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back