622GW - Poor quality and No GPS

I've noticed Nextbase have gone quiet lately on here again..

I went out in the car last week and the rear window cam footage is that poor you can't make any plates out at all and looks really of focus. Take the 622 out and put the old 522 in and the rear camera is crystal clear and make plates out even from distance. This 622 is not fit for sale imo.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
It seems the series 2 lineup has mostly just been flashy marketing and not focusing on the quality of the product but the series one lineup is better imo

That seems to get it a signal.

Audi claim there's nothing special about the screen that should stop it working. Have tried plugging it into other 12v sockets and that doesn't change it.

Any suggestions? I'm now outside the 28 day return window so taking it back is not an option... I can't understand why it won't work with my vehicle.

Also, r:e the footage, i expected 4k to be much sharper than it is, plates are still blurry till you are "on top of them" so to speak and i've checked, i'm using the high-res not low-res files. Should i change some settings?
Hi there,

Do you have an example of some footage you can provide to include in a direct message to us here on the forums or at support@nextbase.com?

You can use the Nextbase Cloud service to store and share the footage for 30 days if you can't attach the RAW file to an email: https://mynextbase.com/

In regards to image quality this is always being looked at by our development team to improve even after a product's launch, so please rest assured that we're always looking at ways to better features such as this with updates.

Regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support

Hi there,

Do you have an example of some footage you can provide to include in a direct message to us here on the forums or at support@nextbase.com?

You can use the Nextbase Cloud service to store and share the footage for 30 days if you can't attach the RAW file to an email: https://mynextbase.com/

In regards to image quality this is always being looked at by our development team to improve even after a product's launch, so please rest assured that we're always looking at ways to better features such as this with updates.

Regards,
Dan - Nextbase Technical Support

Yes i'll send you something today

Just posting an update on this.

Took the GPS mount apart, found the GPS chip and used some Cat5 to extend the wiring , cut a notch in the mount housing for the wires to leave and shoved the gps module up into the roof lining. (wrapped in loom tape).

Still not 100% , as in sometimes takes a good 30 minutes to pick up a signal , but a lot better/more reliable than it was , and also looks quite tidy. Having spoken to friends who have built their own drones, the GPS chip used in the mount is apparently bargain basement which is why it has issues. I would upgrade it to something better but there's only so far you can go right?

Glad I found this thread. I've been using the 622 for 2 weeks, and I'm shocked at the quality of the recordings, blurry and not sharp. You cannot see the number plate until you're literally bumper to bumper and this is in 4k. At first I thought it was some settings I needed to adjust, but I've tried everything. I cannot believe this is meant to be their superior top of the range model. What is the point of having the cam if you cannot even see the reg plate.

I'll be speaking to Nextbase about a refund.

Glad I found this thread. I've been using the 622 for 2 weeks, and I'm shocked at the quality of the recordings, blurry and not sharp. You cannot see the number plate until you're literally bumper to bumper and this is in 4k. At first I thought it was some settings I needed to adjust, but I've tried everything. I cannot believe this is meant to be their superior top of the range model. What is the point of having the cam if you cannot even see the reg plate.

I'll be speaking to Nextbase about a refund.
Can you post a video so that we can see the issues?

Well at least it is in focus, but it seems to have an automatic privacy blur over faces, plates, and almost everything else!

1658653507745.png

4K should provide recognisable faces, similar conditions:
y4mCRFphALnpTzsec_R9LYTfqHBWgBog_w6wlgsFmk-5m9Pt6O2bxL2h1MS-BfSGfz4WPGHUtBkgd05bkZXa7kQxAk4bbEMD1uXCYBlzOVadWUZRxiIiqh6--RYoML9PnCP7ougyibyQCl-biYLdfNJx_fUKC0QKdBLSgH210XUWJTQWl_Z-oWdGZ7b9-zDFUZs

Well at least it is in focus, but it seems to have an automatic privacy blur over faces, plates, and almost everything else!

View attachment 61164

4K should provide recognisable faces, similar conditions:
y4mCRFphALnpTzsec_R9LYTfqHBWgBog_w6wlgsFmk-5m9Pt6O2bxL2h1MS-BfSGfz4WPGHUtBkgd05bkZXa7kQxAk4bbEMD1uXCYBlzOVadWUZRxiIiqh6--RYoML9PnCP7ougyibyQCl-biYLdfNJx_fUKC0QKdBLSgH210XUWJTQWl_Z-oWdGZ7b9-zDFUZs

Thank you for pointing this out, I did not even realise the faces were blurred! Just another point to add to my list of poor quality problems.

Would you know how I can fix this or is there even a way for this privacy to be removed? a setting as such?
Thanks

Would you know how I can fix this or is there even a way for this privacy to be removed? a setting as such?
The blurred faces, I guess are due to a low bitrate setting, what do you have the bitrate/quality set to? If I recall correctly, this camera is a bit low on bitrate even when set to extreme, so I suggest choosing the highest quality setting.

There is also rather a lot of motion blur, which I find odd given the lighting, it is a sunny day. I guess there is no way of adjusting that, at least without a firmware update.

The blurred faces, I guess are due to a low bitrate setting, what do you have the bitrate/quality set to? If I recall correctly, this camera is a bit low on bitrate even when set to extreme, so I suggest choosing the highest quality setting.

There is also rather a lot of motion blur, which I find odd given the lighting, it is a sunny day. I guess there is no way of adjusting that, at least without a firmware update.
I have its set to 4K 30fps, and have done so from the time I first used it.

I've contacted Nextbase support, but no doubt they will give me the default troubleshooting steps.

Really expected better, but I've had nothing but issues with this Brand.

Back