64:27 is awesome!

Michael_K

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Thinkware FA200 dual, D1-era dual camera (side view)
I've become enamored with the 64:27 format (a.k.a. 21:9, 2K, or WFHD), which has a resolution of 2560 x 1080. It's like some engineer sat down and thought, "Ok, what format would be perfect for a car camera?"
Yes, for me, it's not about resolution -- it's the format that sells it. You get less sky and dashboard, and a wide field of view without distortion.
(Note that there is a similar resolution -- 2560x1440, but it's 16:9.)

So, I've been searching for a unit with that format, and a few extra features (wifi would be nice, and thus no screen, so it's smaller).
I found a bunch of units that have that format. However, none are from 'big' manufacturers, and none really 'stand out'.
I'd really like some advice on these units. E.g. are there any that you'd advise against getting (bad quality, crummy parking mode, etc.)
Z-Edge Z3
Z-Edge Z4
mini 0805
mini 0806
Vantrue R2
Ausdom A261
Ausdom AD260
Ausdom AD282
Wheel Witness HD Pro

These seem to be rather low quality -- but, what do you think?
TaoTronics CD06
Ampulla Pluto
Zouqilai
GRMN 2K dash cam
RandMcNally DashCam 300

I believe that none of them have wifi. Or, did I miss it on any?

My primary criterium is 64:27. Secondary are WIFI (if just to use on my phone -- doesn't need to stream live to internet), no screen (so it's less visible), and a good parking mode.

Is it possible that I missed a unit?

the Vantrue is probably the only one on your list that comes out of a good factory, I don't know how well supported they are post purchase though

The mini 0806 is a great camera, partly because of that aspect ratio, but unfortunately had battery problems so can't be recommended in an era of super capacitor cameras.

I suspect all of those cameras will use the same chipset as the 0806 and use that aspect ratio simply because the chipset provides it, so they are probably all of the same generation and all have battery issues, so you are out of luck!
It's like some engineer sat down and thought, "Ok, what format would be perfect for a car camera?"
Wasting bitrate on the sky and car bonnet/hood is silly, use it where it matters and you get a better quality image, so yes 21:9 is closer to perfect for a car camera, but maybe not perfection...

A 21:9 monitor still doesn't give a human field of view:
81%2B63Rw0i5L._SX679_.jpg

what you want is a 32:9 monitor:

Samsung-C49HG90-430x302.jpg

https://www.samsung.com/levant/monitors/c49hg90/

and then you need the 32:9 dashcam to go with it, great FOV, no bitrate wasted on the sky or car dash/bonnet, and a similar aspect ratio to what I see when driving:

1547457788046.png

and then you need the 32:9 dashcam to go with it, great FOV, no bitrate wasted on the sky or car dash/bonnet, and a similar aspect ratio to what I see when driving:

View attachment 44062
32:9 cropped from 16:9, or stitched 2x 16:9?

32:9 cropped from 16:9, or stitched 2x 16:9?
Obviously what you need is the native 32:9 dashcam, otherwise you wont benefit from using the bitrate only where it is useful!

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any on sale right now, so those that don't have access to top secret prototypes will need to wait :censored:

Just for fun, and to see how DCT and YouTube handled it, I created this 32:9 3840x1080 clip using VSDC, cropping a file from the GitUp F1 4K camera. Used like this, the 170deg wide-angle lens gives a good view ahead and to the sides.

y4mNWF77MGJO7CNL_RmyRH96jtbZ8u4OOdR5CJGh687DGU5yg24snUnnlPx9KS1-qk8jcZ7xS2V_kYZJKWvuj5LN_G5AicGQtpfzy5zflb5ZOzjpIYYKGlryVgXGenvJ0_R46h0OY5yQJ0K-U2LKN9_O88aY2-jbqn2uvF82fbevrBP0jW8XfPE-dOeM_301HEuCuxIILbvpUipGLg3G_jy_A

Just for fun, ...
You still have a bit of your car bonnet in that clip - shows how much of the standard 16:9 aspect ratio is wasted bitrate!

Also, since the bonnet contains a reflection of moving vehicles/buildings/etc, it will be using a lot of bitrate.

You still have a bit of your car bonnet in that clip - shows how much of the standard 16:9 aspect ratio is wasted bitrate!

Also, since the bonnet contains a reflection of moving vehicles/buildings/etc, it will be using a lot of bitrate.
With a 170deg lens I can't cut out the bonnet without aiming/cropping too high. With my A129 I crop 1920x540 to the top edge of the bonnet when doing front/back compilations.

With a 170deg lens I can't cut out the bonnet without aiming/cropping too high. With my A129 I crop 1920x540 to the top edge of the bonnet when doing front/back compilations.
I don't think anyone is making 48:9 monitors to solve that problem :unsure:

But then, I find 170 degrees a bit too wide for a dashcam, a little more and you wouldn't need the side cameras!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What Should I Buy? 0
Back