64gb card - Format Fat32 or Ex-Fat?

tom1010

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I'm confused as to whether a 64gb card (Transcend Premium 400X) should be formatted as Fat32, or Ex-Fat? And is this best done in-camera? It's for 5 minute loop recording. Many thanks for any help.

It's best to do it in-camera to format as FAT32.

Format it as FAT32 on a PC and then reformat it whilst in the Mobius using mSetup.

Format it as FAT32 on a PC and then reformat it whilst in the Mobius using mSetup.
My Windows 10 PC doesn't give me option to format 64GB card with FAT32, only NTFS and exFAT.

Mozart/harsh - thanks for your quick responses. Much appreciated!

Windows OS's after W7 will not format anything larger than a 32GB card to FAT32, and W8.1 w1ill not allow the usual freeware to do it either, But I was told of "MiniAide FAT32 Formatter" by another member here and it works on W8.1 so it should work on the rest. It's a little funky to use- you gave to make sure to click "apply" at the top to finish the work- but it's fast and easy once you learn it.

I prefer FAT32 in Mobius since my other cams require it- that way any of my cards will work in any of my cams after I format in-cam. And always do a final format in-cam; they tend to work better that way.

Phil

SawMaster, that's good information. So I've learnt from the responses here that its a good idea to format twice, once out of the camera and then in-camera. Thanks.

Always do in-cam, but the first might be skipped if the card is already in the correct format. I do them both anyway regardless- can't see where it hurts anything.

Phil

Always do in-cam, but the first might be skipped if the card is already in the correct format. I do them both anyway regardless- can't see where it hurts anything.

Phil
Thanks Phil!

Back