64gb Cards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As it looks like i can't use a 128gb card, can anyone tell me if any 64gb card will work with the F770 or are they problematic too?
I'd have paid the premium price to buy a Thinkware 128gb card if that had worked but don't want to pay the extra price Thinkware want for a 64Gb card if i don't have too!

The camera is fussy with memory cards so i would only recommend a genuine one. Genuine Thinkware cards have SPOR (Sudden Power Off Recovery) i haven't noticed that being advertised with other cards and i'm not sure if this is part of the reason why they are fussy? I also read for example that a Samsung Evo + card worked fine but now if you buy one they don't as the internals of the card have changed but still sold as the same product. (Another reason to stick to Thinkware)

Lastly and this is what i tell some of our customers who have called about this. You wouldn't buy a premium car like a Bentley and then fit a Smart Car engine to it! Similar sort of principle.

"Lastly and this is what i tell some of our customers who have called about this. You wouldn't buy a premium car like a Bentley and then fit a Smart Car engine to it! Similar sort of principle".

I would challenge this last comment. I'm a professional photographer and i would say that the likes Sandisk etc are the Bentley of memory cards and Thinkware the smart car. Who actually makes Thinkware cards? Thinkware cards are not used anywhere else in the movie / imaging industry thats for sure.
Also if I bought a Bentley it would let me fill up the whole tank of fuel rather than half of it.
Comparing Thinkware to Bentley is just crazy. From my interaction with the viewing software, the lack of being able to allocate partitions to card that the user actually wants and not being able to use memory cards with a decent (modern) recording capabilities is the opposite of what i have come to expect from a premium brand.

Lexar make the Thinkware cards. Everything is a balancing act, if you give a user too many options of settings, you increase the support phone calls and you also risk people who don't understand it to possibly set the partitions in a way that isn't suitable but they wouldn't realise, then when something hasn't worked because of 'their' settings they would be on the Internet complaining and risk damaging the Brand. It's fine for people like yourself who are clued up, but trust me a lot of people are not i get several calls about settings as they are as people don't always understand them and i think they are pretty self explanatory!

Please note all comments / expressions are my own personal opinion (we are a UK distributor not actually Thinkware)

Lexar make the Thinkware cards. Everything is a balancing act, if you give a user too many options of settings, you increase the support phone calls and you also risk people who don't understand it to possibly set the partitions in a way that isn't suitable but they wouldn't realise, then when something hasn't worked because of 'their' settings they would be on the Internet complaining and risk damaging the Brand. It's fine for people like yourself who are clued up, but trust me a lot of people are not i get several calls about settings as they are as people don't always understand them and i think they are pretty self explanatory!

Please note all comments / expressions are my own personal opinion (we are a UK distributor not actually Thinkware)

I understand what you're saying but if If companies only cater for 'individuals' that don't know what they are doing with their product, then it says a lot to me about the products that company are producing and / or the instructions that accompany them.

If Thinkware don't facilitate the use of larger cards that users require, then they should allow users to partition the cards for individuals needs. Black View allows this in their cameras I can can see no negative effect for doing so. This is even more important with systems that use more than one camera. A 64gb may actually be adequate for a one camera system but its definitely not adequate for a 2 camera system if the partitions cannot be manually managed.

Also, whats the point in allowing the camera to record for up to 48hrs in parking mode if the card is full after just 4 hours? It just doesn't make sense. Its these little idiosyncrasies that show far east manufacturers up. Their concepts seem great but they are often then severely let down by their execution.

I thought the whole idea of dash cams were to record potential incidents. I don't need the ability to save a complete 5 hour car journey (when I'm actually in the car) as no incident will last that long. I want the ability to record for a long period of time when I'm not in the car or can see what is happening to it . This is far more important than when I'm actually in the car and can see whats happening for myself and is the whole reason i bought a dash cam with a parking mode.

For example an F770 running in time lapse will record 82 hrs (single channel) or 41hrs (2 channel) with Partition set to 'C'. An F800 should do similar with the Parking set as priority in time lapse mode with a 128gb card (F770 is 1fps, F800 is 2fps in timelapse)
I rarely have any issues mentioned to me about that as the chances of the vehicle battery recording that long before hitting voltage shut down are very slim (without extra battery packs etc). I will email Thinkware your suggestion of manually adjusting the partitions, i have done so it won't hurt to do it again to show there is demand for it!

Have a good weekend, i'm off home now :)

Thanks for all your responses.

I'm aware time lapse mode would give the user substantially more recording time than the continuous mode but I don't actually think that time lapse mode is actually worth having tbh.

If you could record in time lapse mode but upon activation the camera went into continuous mode that would be something else. I would very much doubt this is possible though.

Its interesting that other customers have asked for a manual partition mode in the past. Its a shame that Thinkware have not acted on their customers requests / needs.

Have a good weekend!

Its interesting that other customers have asked for a manual partition mode in the past. Its a shame that Thinkware have not acted on their customers requests / needs.

sell a hundred thousand cameras a month and 10 (or even 100) people ask for manual partition mode, you can see why they don't show any interest, not enough noise to get their attention

Back