64GB x 1 or 2?

ivantwilliams

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those with the Garmin 55, do you just use one 64GB class 10 memory card, or do you swap to another when your card is full?
I am thinking of having two cards. When one is full, remove it, place the other in, while I take my time to review the videos on the other card.

Thoughts?

No most if not all realy on the overwriting of the oldest files when the card are full, this is the quintessential dashcam feature.

Besides you dont want to save everything when you drive, just the little special / funny / shameful things you see ( and can protect from overwriting by pressing the manual event button )
And then of course any outright crash, which you will hopefully never have, and so in that regard the dashcam will be a poor investment.

64Gb is what i recommend for a dashcam / 128 Gb if its a dual channel system. You can of course go higher if you want to, but 64Gb should be fine for a cross state drive unless you live in a really large state or take the longest route.
64Gb should give you 8 hours of drive time before the card are full and start to delete the oldest files to make room for new ones,,,,,,, and thats okay too if nothing happened worth saving just as you set off on your drive.
Its a good idea to use the manual event button to save events, i myself have relied on mental notes for years, and really thats not optimal with a memory like mine.
This just mean you have to pay attention on how much space your locked files take up on the memory card,,,,, some cameras assign part of the memory card and can overwrite event files when that storage space fill up, in which case you do not want to use event button too much and forget to take files off the memory card, or have any form of parking guard running that can quick fill up the assigned space for protected files.

My B1W have 30% of the memory card assigned for event and parking guard event files, on this camera it work fine as the sensor are not overly sensitive so there are not many false recordings made that could be problematic in any way they are handled.

Yet other dashcams have no assigned space or overwrite of event files, so those can slowly fill up with event files leaving little room left for your regular recordings, and so if 60Gb of your 64Gb card are taken up with un- deletable event files you have 4 Gb for regular driving, and so dont have to get far from starting point before the card are full and so overwrite the oldest of your "normal" files.

I look at my memory card fairly often and normally delete the files in the "RO" / Read Only folder when there are about 20 of them, so about once every month i delete protected files, this is also a little buffer for me in case i forget something.

Also taking files off the memory card on the computer, be sure to copy them to computer and not move, moving files can cause problems with file structure on memory card and confuse camera.
Copy file off mean the file are still on the memory card, and if you do want to wipe card ( which are a good thing to do now and then ) then its best done with a in camera format of the memory card.

Last edited:
Rabbit hole, to another rabbit hole.
The volume of types of memory cards, and what is/is not support is MIND BLOWING :)

Looking at a SanDisk 64GB, Class 10 for the Garmin 55. Seems the key is to make sure it is at least a Class 10

When you drive and nothing happen your dashcam just generate garbage files, and so only right to let then get recycled for something better.
Only things you want to share on youtube or just family and friends are worth saving, and then of course with your insurance company in case of a crash or other form of event triggering the need for their help.
So save share things with event button, and you can do the same if you have a event where you dont get knocked out, and if you get knocked out bystanders / rescue people should turn off your car, and so your event should also be safe.
even if you and car see massive trauma, it should not be sitting there and record +8 hours after it happened, so even unlocked your data should be safe in that case.
I have told family that in the event of me seeing a massive crash they should go to my car at police impound or repair-shop and retrieve all memory cards in my many cameras.

So you will quickly find that 99.9 % of your recordings are just garbage footage, i even have drives often where nothing was worth sharing or shaming on youtube.

My 2 hour yesterday was pretty normal, aside for the double rainbow i did see when driving home from my friends house, but that are not going to find its way to youtube or the meager available storage space on my computer.

If you go for Sandisk, be sure its the newer types stamped with A1, otherwise they are often advised against.

Hard to find anything thats not class 10 today it seem, you dont want to go with the cheapest seller around, i go for local stores or Amazon .uk or .de as they are forced to hail to EU or Danish warranty rules.

I have several 64GB cards, different makes, all "High Endurance" You should also be able to use 128GB cards, although good ones will be very expensive.

It is nice to have a second card to allow reviewing at a later time, and with cards being one of the most common cam failure causes, there is an instant replacement on hand if that happens. Plus regularly swapping between two cards doubles how long each can be expected to last compared to using only one. Smaller cards are relatively cheap making this easy, but prices for 128GB and up can be a bit scary right now.

Phil.

I have fitted a 128GB Transcend micro sd card which was inexpensive and that works perfectly well.
hmmm.. have a 128 Samsung Evo Plus that I'll give a go... could be use full on longer trips. Didn't know the 55 could take over 64...
(As per the specs...To add more memory, add a larger microSD card (accepts up to 64 GB, sold separately; Class 10 required). )

Last edited:
Back