650S 'fried nand chip'

Paul Scocia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
according to blackvue, fried nand chip... possibly due to heat.

we've had quite a heat spell here lately...i think it would have been best to disable parking mode if parked in the heat.

anyways, it has been replaced under warranty.

So - yea . . . . Imagine that, a dash cam inside a car in the blazing heat - where most summer temperatures can reach an easy 150°f. But we're supposed to turn it off, as opposed to the manufacturer making their product reliable for the environment that they are operating in - so it doesn't fry? A manufacture producing a product for the environment that it normally runs in? that's crazy talk
[emoji57]

Cameras, especially if they have parking mode should also have a thermal shut down temperature.
And i can see a lot of places on earth where temperatures a lot of the year will be so high that the use of parking guard will be pretty hard to do.

I do have hopes for future cameras not least the ones with remote cameras, cuz then you could store the heat generating part of the camera out of the sun, and you can have it almost any size and so you could have a oversized cooling solution, maybe even with active cooling for the really hot days when parked.

This will also allow for dashcams to run even higher bitrates, though as long as its storing footage on a little memory card thats not that nice, but then a headunit like that may also have a better storage solution like a M2 harddisk or a SSD

Looks like mine has followed suit. The day it finally died wasn't even particularly hot. All I get is the solid blue light, as though it's not seeing the SD at all. Swapped out cards and even reloaded the firmware on my fresh spare.
Contacted Pitasoft CS, but it's just over a year old (bought last June 26th from BlackBoxMyCar), so I'm not especially hopeful. However, I did buy it with my Platinum Capital One, which supposedly doubles the warranty, so I may try that route.
But yeah, pity it's not really useable long-term for the advertised purpose. :-(

Every once in awhile Costco will sell these things. That way you can take it back - years later, & Costco probably causes the company to eat the cost of their junk. That's how it should be. It's been a few years since I've seen them at their online store, so maybe costco no longer sells them.

bpsmicro, try contacting BlackBoxMyCar. They showed an interest in my out of warranty Thinkware I bought from them. I had commented on one of their youtube videos that I was starting to have problems with my thinkware and may be replacing it. The problems are minor, I decided not to bother. One is a rattling noise, I thought it was the buttons as a couple others people had mentioned their buttons rattling. Turned out mine is the cable cover that I will remove. As far as my Blackvue I bought from them, it is still working fine after two plus years and two accidents. In both cases it was needed to prove I was not at fault.

Coincidentally, Costco (Canada) has the 750S 1ch & 2ch. I wonder if (if all else fails) I can get the 750S 1ch and just reuse my existing 650S rear.

While on the one hand there's an inherent risk at getting another BV camera that will almost certainly show the same heat problems, on the other hand I have custom software to download all my videos across WiFi, that I don't believe the Thinkwares support.

I will ping BBmyC too and see what they say. I'll wait a couple of days to see if Pitasoft responds first.

My suspicion is the 128Gig card, bought only a couple of months ago, runs just that much hotter that it pushed the camera over the edge. The card itself seems fine (plus I tested my old 64Gig).

I wonder if (if all else fails) I can get the 750S 1ch and just reuse my existing 650S rear.
It won't work as I don't think that there is a socket to plug the rear cam into on the 750 1CH.

Back