70Mai - Wifi Access & Read Speeds Are DEAD (write speeds are not effected)

Redmi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've owned my dashcam now for a few years for which is used regularly on a daily basis, as I drive for a living.

A few months ago I began suffering from terrible "access" times with my dashcam. When I tried accessing the dashcam with my phone (Redmi Note 4 - like I always do) it was taking forever to display the live feed, followed by the actual files in any of the folders. The thumbnails would appear one-by-one a few seconds apart. However the true problem would be trying to "download" an actual video. The average transfer speed was 50kbps. Basically, 20 minutes to transfer a video in a time that would usually take 1-2 minutes. If you tried to play the videos in app, the videos would be stuck in a "buffer." Displaying only a few seconds of footage ever 30 seconds.

So I thought, the SD card is probably dying and went ahead and purchased the SanDisk HIGH ENDURANCE SD Card, designed specifically for read/write speeds of dashcams. However this proved to not be the problem as the exact same thing was happening with the new card.

In the name of science, I took the old SD Card and placed it in my laptop, and what do you know? It reads/copy's all the videos flawlessly! Only taking a few seconds to copy each video. I inserted the new card just to compare, and once again, the copy speeds where just as fast.

So this ruled out the SD Cards being the problem.

I then thought maybe the actual app on my phone itself needs updating. I uninstalled the app, and reinstalled the latest one in the app store. However, this solved nothing. The problem still remained.

I then thought, what if I "downgrade" to the original v1.0 version of the app, as I know for sure, when the dashcam was new, it worked just fine. I found the old APK's and gave it a try. But once again, to no avail. The exsact same problem remains.

So this ruled out the android APP being the problem.

I then focused my attention on the dashcam firmware. The firmware was on 1.0.5eu. I dont remember updating the dashcam intself. My suspecion is, I accidently "push-updated" the dashcam via the app and not realising it, was a possibility. This may have actually been the root of all my problems. A firemware update may have broken my dashcam.

I came across the newer 1.0.6eu firmware, for which I went ahead and downloaded, and flashed the dashcam via the SD card successfully. However, once again, my problem remained.

So this ruled out the Firmware being the problem (maybe.)

Left with no other option, I used a friends new-ish Samsung S10 (thinking my phone is at fault here) downloaded both the latest, and the first version of the app and both, once again, failed to fix the problem.

So this rules out my phone being the problem.

The only one option I left out was "down-grading" the "firmware" on the dashcam to the original it came with. I doubt the original came with the 1.0.5eu as this was released mid-2018 and I had purchased my dashcam well before that. However I'm not sure if I can even do this, or where to locate the original firmware that shipped with the dashcam.

Any advice? All the help I can get is appreciated.

Thanks!

Back