720@120p is actually 30p?

Johnny69

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hey. I haven't received my unit yet but searched through everything about this cam, raw videos included. Today I wanted to make sure that the 720@120p setting gives you real 120 frames per second and not some ****ty-duplicated 30p video and I was right to be afraid it will be sh.t... It's just 30p with many diplicated frames. Could you please check with your units if everyone has got the same results? I don't know what programes you use but for me the easiest way to check it (note that checking the specification of those files isn't enough as it shows 120 frames per second but in reality 75% of them are just duplicated...) was just to upload the recorded file into my NLE (editing software) with project settings set to 120p and then check frame by frame if every of them is a unique one. I bet all of you will experience many duplicated frames but let's hope they fixed it with some firmware update (like 2.0+ or sth.).

Thanks to anyone who will try.

P.S. This makes me anxious about the 1080@60p mode - maybe this one also gives us only 30 frames per second? The same might be with 720@60p ofcourse. I don;t understand why Viofo gave us 120p option if it's the same as 30p which is also in the options... I think that they thought we are stupid. Maybe VIOFO themeselves will even say something in this section?

the chipset can support it, it may not be enabled in firmware, it's possible depending on lighting that it may automatically start frame doubling, that is also a firmware option

Ok, thanks for the reply and some info - nonetheless it shouldn't be called "720@120p" in the menu as it just isn't 120p at all. Hope someone from VIOFO will take the floor here. I was really interested in this framerate and now it seems it's just cheating the customers as there ain't even more than 30 frames per second in that mode...
Anyone checked that with their units already maybe?

Guys - anybody could check it with their unit?

Many cams will go from 60FPS to 30FPS when daylight gets low; some double-frame the 30FPS to get better images then. That is still advertised as a 60FPS setting since the majority of use will be in daylight. It's not anybody lying or trying to trick you- it's just how everybody plays this game.

I'm curious why you'd settle for 720P when this cam can do much higher resolution and since that is where the most attention was put when this cam was developed? It seems to perform well in those higher resolutions under all conditions so I can't see the point of going with less.

Phil

Why do you need 120fps? Do you drive a jet plane?

Most films and TV shows a 24fps, and they look great...

Haha, I knew it will come down to this :) I knew it! It always does! And it's so sad... You're just perfect customers for most of the companies. The fact thay YOU don't need some functions doesn't mean that NOONE needs'em. And even if noone would ever need'em it's still not OK for the manufacturer to lie in the spec sheet. I just thought that it would be cool to film from time to time something in quite good slow-mo - and the video by Techmoan on YouTube clearly showed that this model performs really well even under bad light conditions. So I was sure it will look better in the daylight even compared to a special gear made for that which is Sony AS200 action cam that I've got. It's not a killer feature - ofcourse! But it's just nice to have and if you're all not brainless you shoudl also understand that it's not right for manufacturer to mislead its customers.
Sorry for being harsh but you left me no choice... I really hope that at least a few of you will eventually check it with their units and upload the clips somewhere so other can check it too. I was so certain that this is a quality forum...

A more logical approach would be to contact the manufacturer directly and ask rather than insisting that someone post video samples meeting your requirements.

It's already been explained that the camera may well have 120 capabilities under optimal conditions but due to lighting the frame rate may be reduced or frames duplicated, but you seem unwilling to accept that response but rather go into attack mode and begin bashing individuals and the entire site. :confused:

Recommended reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/8385881018

A more logical approach would be to contact the manufacturer directly and ask rather than insisting that someone post video samples meeting your requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/8385881018

Well, I've seen the Viofo account here and thought it's official and that they do answer ppls questiones. Sorry for the quasi-attack but I didn't ask anybody to explain me why I'm retarted as I want to use 720p mode. It's unbelievable that some ppl can't understand that other ppl can have different needs than they. So in the end I don't feel like attacking someone. I'm just surprised that even here such "solutions" are a common thing. It's the same as asking on Apple forums if there is any way to quickly disable/enable data transfer with shortcuts menu - they will tell you: "No. And why the h. would you even want that"? Some ppl are really narrow-minded. If you would go on with this topic with'em they will tell you that "if you had the money to buy an iPhone than you absolutely have the money for unlimitted data transfer plan" and so on. Eh, waste of time...

@viofo - I would be grateful if you could take the floor here. Is the 720@120p mode actually a variable mode and the framrate might change in worse light conditions? And does it record in a real 120p at all when the conditions are best?

@Sutton - thanks for the advice. Hopefully someone will show up.
Also - I'm not English nor American so I don't really know what you mean by "woweee". I guess it's a new way to say "wow" but then it doesn't make too much sense to me.

@viofo - I would be grateful if you could take the floor here. Is the 720@120p mode actually a variable mode and the framrate might change in worse light conditions? And does it record in a real 120p at all when the conditions are best?.

it's quite possible it's just a firmware bug as I mentioned previously, the best thing to do is report it and let them check, they don't intentionally advertise any features that don't exist so most likely it just hasn't been noticed before

Sorry for the quasi-attack but I didn't ask anybody to explain me why I'm retarted as I want to use 720p mode. It's unbelievable that some ppl can't understand that other ppl can have different needs than they. So in the end I don't feel like attacking someone. I'm just surprised that even here such "solutions" are a common thing. It's the same as asking on Apple forums if there is any way to quickly disable/enable data transfer with shortcuts menu - they will tell you: "No. And why the h. would you even want that"? Some ppl are really narrow-minded. If you would go on with this topic with'em they will tell you that "if you had the money to buy an iPhone than you absolutely have the money for unlimitted data transfer plan" and so on. Eh, waste of time...

No-one needs to explain, your posts do that for themselves. :confused:

@ChannelZ - do us all a favour and don't take the floor if you don't have anything wise to say.

@Sutton - well believe me I do go easy but you can't say that about some other ppl here. The purpose of this topis is to find out whether this cam shoots 120p or not. And comments asking why would you need this framerate are just pointless and clutter the forum.

:(:(
Haha, I knew it will come down to this :) I knew it! It always does! And it's so sad... You're just perfect customers for most of the companies. The fact thay YOU don't need some functions doesn't mean that NOONE needs'em. And even if noone would ever need'em it's still not OK for the manufacturer to lie in the spec sheet. I just thought that it would be cool to film from time to time something in quite good slow-mo - and the video by Techmoan on YouTube clearly showed that this model performs really well even under bad light conditions. So I was sure it will look better in the daylight even compared to a special gear made for that which is Sony AS200 action cam that I've got. It's not a killer feature - ofcourse! But it's just nice to have and if you're all not brainless you shoudl also understand that it's not right for manufacturer to mislead its customers.
Sorry for being harsh but you left me no choice... I really hope that at least a few of you will eventually check it with their units and upload the clips somewhere so other can check it too. I was so certain that this is a quality forum...
:mad: Aww Viofo cams are good products and this is the best in DVR forums you will ever find.

Last edited:
Back