750 installed in 2015 Honda CRV - cable just makes it

pjdaly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not one to do anything the easy way, I decided to pull the interior panels off rather than just stuff wires into the trim. I put the rear camera cable inside split wire loom, tie wrapping it to other loomed wiring in the car.

I thought I'd mention a couple of tricky parts and a cable length problem to save others some grief.

The rear camera cable will just make it if you route the cable as I did. I ran the cable from the rear hatch ceiling down to the floor and along door sills so that takes up some cable. The mistake I made was putting panels back as I went along. When getting to the driver door sill I realized I was about 6 inches short. Arrggh! :mad:

I ended up pulling off the panels I had just reinstalled then cutting some of my many tie wraps. Fortunately having the cable inside the split loom allowed it to slide. I pulled 6 inches of cable which is just about what I left extra at the rear hatch as you can see in this picture. The split loom is hanging out the same hole before I trimmed it and put the cable in it.

To the left is the rubber conduit for the hatch wiring. The top end is pulled out before I pushed it back in. I snaked the camera cable through this conduit and then over to the rectangular hole using a piece of stranded 12 gauge wire which was stiff to use as a snake. The conduit is not overly spacious as with the other wires going through it, the loom stops and just the wires go through. I used Dawn dishwashing liquid to lube the camera cable because the conduit is soft rubber and resists wires being pushed through it.

image.jpeg

This is the finished product on the hatch. I put a rubber grommet around the cable where it exits the trim.

image.jpeg

Below are some pictures of the trim pulled off. Most of it pulls off with little effort. The hatch trim above is put on with much stronger fasteners presumably so the trim won't come off with repeated slamming shut of the hatch. I actually called a friend in the auto glass business to ask about the force to take this trim off because I was afraid I'd break it. But it didn't break.

The left rear cargo area is shown here with the panels off. The thick wire loom in the middle is what I tie wrapped my camera cable loom onto (not done yet)

image.jpeg

To be continued....

Here is the continuation of the big wire loom from the previous picture. It just follows the fender well down to the door sill. From there it's a straight run up to the driver side kick panel under the dash. It's at this point that I realized I was a little short of wire.

I should have taken the picture after I added my camera cable loom. But just imagine a smaller loom tie wrapped onto this one.

I used wire loom as an afterthought. I figured it would protect the camera cable from abrasion. I also have an obsession for symmetry and so I decided I wanted my wiring done the same way. I used 1/4 inch loom because that was available although 1/8 inch is big enough for this skinny camera cable but I'd have to order it and wait for it.

The trim panels appear to have fasteners of varying strength. There are various colors and the ones where the fasteners point downward, such as the door sills, appear to be the weakest. You can grab these with your fingers and pull them off.

image.jpeg

The white plastic conduit protects the wiring as it jumps over the a frame support (the white visible under the plastic). It appeared to be difficult to detach and open this plastic piece to add the camera cable... It's attached with side fasteners.

I decided to have my wire loom tie wrapped to the top of this conduit on both ends since they are lower than the sill. The middle of the conduit is higher than the sill so I ran my cable along the side of it in on top of the sill. Again I should have taken the picture after adding my cable. Sorry about that. :confused:
image.jpeg

All the trim was easily removable with the hatch having the strongest fasteners. Two pieces of trim cannot be straight pulled off because they have special anchors.

Tricky stuff follows.....

One is the windshield pillar trim having an airbag behind it. The top anchor is tethered so it moves away about an inch to let the airbag out. There are two regular fasteners below it. After pulling the top to the end of the tether, you pull no further else if you pull hard enough you'll probably will break the trim.

The anchor base is in the rectangular hole in the pillar that you can see in the picture. The other end of the anchor is in a rectangular slot in the top of the trim that is open on one side (toward the front of the car). The job is to push the anchor out of the slot in the trim leaving the anchor in the windshield pillar. You then squeeze two tabs at the base of the anchor and it comes out of the pillar easily. I got mine out seemingly without damaging it but it's designed as one-time use so I bought another at the dealer.

The black wire loom you see is what I tie wrapped my camera wire loom onto. I fished the camera wire loom from under the dash to the base of the windshield pillar. But before fishing it through I added the power cable to the loom. Both cables fit easily into the 1/4 inch loom.

image.jpeg

The other tricky anchor is at the top of the trim for the rear door pillar housing the rear seat belt. It is a different design than the other anchor just discussed but it also pulls out partway. This one is also one-time use and it's more obvious that it is so. I bought a new one of these as well. Like the windshield trim, you have to work the anchor out of the trim which will leave it in the pillar. Getting it out of the pillar you'll notice how strong it is. It goes in the round hole in the picture below.

image.jpeg

Here is the rear pillar trim showing the slot I mentioned as being open on one side. Again for both these trim pieces you have to release the anchor from the slot in the trim to get the trim off. Then take the anchor out of the pillar.

image.jpeg

To replace these two trim pieces, you put the anchor in the trim first so the other end will find the hole in the pillar. Again, you're supposed to replace these anchors with new ones.

Here are the anchors for the windshield pillar trim (left) and the rear pillar trim (right). In this picture, the pillar end is at the top and the trim end is at the bottom.

image.jpeg

Here is the finished install. The CRV has a black dot screen around the rear view mirror so I had to keep the camera lens to the left of that. I put the GPS stick to the right in the screened area. It has a long cord that I bundled up to try to make it look neat. I might redo that later.

image.jpeg

Back