8m Rear Cable on a Crew Cab Pickup w/Cap.

ChooChooMan74

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119, Mini 0906
Hi Folks,
I currently have a Viofo A129 duo with the standard 6m cable in my pickup. I am purchasing a cap for the bed, and thinking about getting the 8m cable to move my rear cam to the rear of the truck. My concern is running the cable along the chassis rail, which will be about the only way to the rear of the truck. I know at $15, if the cable craps out, cheap to fix, but the time to do it sucks. I am open to any suggestions. Maybe someone has experience and this cable will survive the elements?

You could always get some split wire loom tubing to put it in to protect it.
a69e651dda125c160b70688f94c5bd2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No experience directly, but I've used the split loom that @Gooffeyguy recommends for radio coax and other wiring on frame rails and it works great under there (y)

Some vehicles have large "loom clips" mounted you can add that to. If not, look for existing frame holes which will accept those then go to a junkyard and grab what you need there. Note where the fuel pump wiring goes and if possible route on the other side as there may be some RFI on that circuit. Alternately mount on the opposite side of the same frame rail that wire is on.

Tie-wraps can work here but in my experience they tend to fail after some time due to heat or impact damage. Run two of them (not too tight) at each fastening point for redundancy and check occasionally. The black ones seem to age better than the white or cream-colored ones.

If you have any issues it will probably be where cable sections plug together. If that's exposed to the elements seal the outside of it from cable to cable with a smearing of silicone sealer, then when that is dry cover the joint with a longer piece of heat-shrink tubing. That should keep everything waterproofed for you.

Phil

Back