900x2ch plus NOT connecting to hot spot on return home

DigitalPigeon

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

With my 900X plus-2ch, I am just using my home wifi while car is parked at home.

If the cam is power cycled, it connects to wifi no problem, and I get all cloud features.

However, once I leave the house, and come back, the camera does not reconnect to the home wifi until I power cycle the camera again.

I was really hoping the workflow would be that I would drive home, park the car, and then the car would be back on the cloud. Since its hardwired, need to issue reboot via app, which as you all know takes a good 2 minutes to run app, connect, issue command.

Is this refusal to reconnect to wifi common, or is it a "just me" problem?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi all,

With my 900X plus-2ch, I am just using my home wifi while car is parked at home.

If the cam is power cycled, it connects to wifi no problem, and I get all cloud features.

However, once I leave the house, and come back, the camera does not reconnect to the home wifi until I power cycle the camera again.

I was really hoping the workflow would be that I would drive home, park the car, and then the car would be back on the cloud. Since its hardwired, need to issue reboot via app, which as you all know takes a good 2 minutes to run app, connect, issue command.

Thanks all!
Same problem over here. I’ve been trying to use the app to reboot the camera so it could reconnect to my home wifi, but even that’s unreliable.

I’d love a firmware update that allows the device to scan for hotspots regularly and not just upon powering on.

One would think Blackvue or BlackBoxMyCar would offer some support on this?

Hi all,

Thanks all!

Your desired workflow is indeed possible, lots of us do it.

Do you use an in-car hotspot while you're away from home?

- If you do, you must turn it off when you return home. The cam will never seek a new hotspot while it has a viable connection to any one in your list already, including your cel phone, if it can still see it inside your house.

- If you do, is the car hotspot in "Hotspot 1" position and your home wifi in "Hotspot 2" position? If not, try that setup. The opposite has given others issues, and it works for me.

If you only use home wifi and no in-car wifi (including your phone, if the cam can see it in the house), do you have Wifi Auto Turn Off enabled?

- If this is enabled, it'll turn wifi off until the next power cycle if it doesn't find a connection in your list after 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Where is “wifi auto turn off” as a setting? I couldn’t find that in the app.

I am only using home wifi; no car hotspot in use.

In my (Android) app, it's a slider in the "Wi-Fi" section, bottom of the page under the "Wi-Fi band" selector.

It should be continuously looking for your home connection as long as the dashcam is on and wifi is on.

That said, I've never seen any reference to how often it looks for a connection. They used to give up after awhile, but a firmware update supposedly fixed that: https://helpcenter.blackvue.com/hc/...2267611-Issue-connecting-to-Home-Wifi-Offline

Also, if nothing else, you shouldn't have to power cycle the camera. There's a wifi on/off button on the right side, that should cycle the wifi and get you connected without having to power cycle the cam.

The white light on the front of the cam is the wifi light, on solid when you're connected. It should tell you when it connects too, if you have the voice stuff turned on and configured to do that.

From the link in my comment:
“Wi-Fi auto turn off setting does not affect Wi-Fi hotspot for Cloud connectivity.”

I’ll play with it either way. Good tip on toggling the physical button too.

From the link in my comment:
“Wi-Fi auto turn off setting does not affect Wi-Fi hotspot for Cloud connectivity.”

I’ll play with it either way. Good tip on toggling the physical button too.

Ah, sorry. You said you had a X PIus but not that you had a LTE module.

Either way, you need internet access for the cloud service to function. The camera has no internet access itself, that comes through a wifi connection to a device (home network, vehicle hotspot, cel phone, etc.) that does, or LTE data through the add-on BV module. One way or another, without a path to the internet, cloud functions are not available.

With the X Plus and a LTE module connected, yes, your cam becomes a wifi router for up to 5 devices, and it gets the internet connection that it needs though the LTE module. So if you turn off (or auto turn off) the cam's wifi, you still have a functioning hotspot with LTE internet access for cloud service as long as the cam is powered. That's what that blurb is talking about.

And if you're using the LTE to run parking mode, then you should auto turn off your wifi, it's burning power for no good reason.

If your phone will hold a cellular data connection in your garage, your LTE module likely will too. If you have internet access through your LTE module and it remains connected in your garage (i.e., you leave the LTE on and it doesn't lose signal in the garage) then the cam never loses its internet access and so will never try to look for another path to the internet (your home wifi network). There's no LTE auto-turn off (which makes sense), no way for the cam to know that it's in your home garage, and no logic in the firmware for it to know "Hey, I'm home, let's turn off the LTE data, turn on the wifi, and jump on the home network..." The way the firmware is set up, it assumes that if you have LTE then you wanna use that all the time. It's either 100% on or off.

Next time you pull into your garage, with cam wifi on, kill the LTE connection--either in the firmware or by unplugging the module--and see if the cam's wifi finds and connects to your home wifi. If it does, there's your answer. I have a 900X and a 900X Plus, but no LTE module, so I can't try it here.

Unfortunately, there's no way to automate that switch that I know of. A way for the cam to know it's in your home garage and to force an auto switch to home wifi is one of the things I put on the BV wish list thread here... It would be easy enough to program, just <anytime I see wifi SSID "XXX" log into that at the exclusion of all others and turn off LTE>.

And if you're using the LTE to run parking mode, then you should auto turn off your wifi, it's burning power for no good reason.
In the recent X series dashcam firmware versions, the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" setting is disabled (cannot be set on or off) when firmware setting "Enable Cloud service" is enabled in the "Cloud" firmware settings page.

Screenshot of DR750X-3CH Plus Firmware / Wi-Fi settings page where the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" setting is disabled. I do have this dashcam connected to a CM100LTE connectivity device.
bv_wifi_auto_turn_off_disabled_cm100lte.png

The Wi-Fi settings page still has the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" setting disabled even if you disconnect the CM100LTE from the dashcam.

The "Wi-Fi auto turn off" setting only becomes changeable if you turn off the "Enable Cloud service" setting in the "Cloud" settings page.

bv_enable_cloud_service_setting.png

bv_wifi_auto_turn_off_enabled_with_cloud_disabled.png

Back in April 2021 when I was reviewing the DR900X-2CH with the CM100LTE connectivity module, the setting was changeable but it did not actually auto turn-off the Wi-Fi after being inactive for 10 minutes. Now it appears the setting is no longer settable if you have the cloud feature enabled in the firmware settings.

You can still press the Wi-Fi button on the end of the camera to turn off the Wi-Fi network. If you have the auto reboot feature enabled, when the dashcam reboots at the scheduled time the Wi-Fi will be on again after the reboot.

In the recent X series dashcam firmware versions, the "Wi-Fi auto turn off" setting is disabled (cannot be set on or off) when firmware setting "Enable Cloud service" is enabled in the "Cloud" firmware settings page.

Interesting. I'm on the most current FW and mine are not disabled. Weird.

Wifi only, no LTE modules.

Interesting. I'm on the most current FW and mine are not disabled. Weird.

Wifi only, no LTE modules.
I just checked one of the DR750X-2CH Plus units in my car with firmware 1.007. That dashcam has never been connected to the cloud nor a CM100LTE connectivity device. The firmware settings behave just as I mentioned in my post. I tried the iOS v3.28_3154 and Android v3.28 versions of the BlackVue app and they both behave the same as well.

I just checked one of the DR750X-2CH Plus units in my car with firmware 1.007. That dashcam has never been connected to the cloud nor a CM100LTE connectivity device. The firmware settings behave just as I mentioned in my post. I tried the iOS v3.28_3154 and Android v3.28 versions of the BlackVue app and they both behave the same as well.

Well, just updated my Android app, and lo and behold, "Wi-Fi auto turn off" is now greyed out...

Ah, sorry. You said you had a X PIus but not that you had a LTE module.

Either way, you need internet access for the cloud service to function. The camera has no internet access itself, that comes through a wifi connection to a device (home network, vehicle hotspot, cel phone, etc.) that does, or LTE data through the add-on BV module. One way or another, without a path to the internet, cloud functions are not available.

With the X Plus and a LTE module connected, yes, your cam becomes a wifi router for up to 5 devices, and it gets the internet connection that it needs though the LTE module. So if you turn off (or auto turn off) the cam's wifi, you still have a functioning hotspot with LTE internet access for cloud service as long as the cam is powered. That's what that blurb is talking about.

If your phone will hold a cellular data connection in your garage, your LTE module likely will too. If you have internet access through your LTE module and it remains connected in your garage (i.e., you leave the LTE on and it doesn't lose signal in the garage) then the cam never loses its internet access and so will never try to look for another path to the internet (your home wifi network). There's no LTE auto-turn off (which makes sense), no way for the cam to know that it's in your home garage, and no logic in the firmware for it to know "Hey, I'm home, let's turn off the LTE data, turn on the wifi, and jump on the home network..." The way the firmware is set up, it assumes that if you have LTE then you wanna use that all the time. It's either 100% on or off.

Next time you pull into your garage, with cam wifi on, kill the LTE connection--either in the firmware or by unplugging the module--and see if the cam's wifi finds and connects to your home wifi. If it does, there's your answer. I have a 900X and a 900X Plus, but no LTE module, so I can't try it here.

Unfortunately, there's no way to automate that switch that I know of. A way for the cam to know it's in your home garage and to force an auto switch to home wifi is one of the things I put on the BV wish list thread here... It would be easy enough to program, just <anytime I see wifi SSID "XXX" log into that at the exclusion of all others and turn off LTE>.
I don’t have an LTE module. I understand what you’re saying but the issue is simply what the OP wrote in the first post.

I have the 900X plus just recently my camera shuts off after either returning home or leaving car with hotspot ...I have not found a way to make it work as previously...I did not change any settings so not sure if latest update messed with it ... frustrating

I'm not sure what's causing your problem. It sounds like parking mode might have got turned off somehow... ???

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling your BV Phone app.

The best/quickest solution would be to call Blackvue customer support:

(844) 694-4469

They are always very helpful! - Good luck!

I'm not sure what's causing your problem. It sounds like parking mode might have got turned off somehow... ???

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling your BV Phone app.

The best/quickest solution would be to call Blackvue customer support:

(844) 694-4469

They are always very helpful! - Good luck!
I called that number yesterday and got very helpful person on the line.. My issue is my car is a BMW and the way my setup is configured when I bought the car The power Management is being affected with the blackview camera.. he suggested buying the b124X battery pack for new set up to camera and discontinue from the hardwire that I currently have to the car...

Thanks for the suggestion apologies again for posting on this thread OP

One would think Blackvue or BlackBoxMyCar would offer some support on this?
Blackvue.. offer support... :ROFLMAO: I like your optimism, but don't hold your breath.

Back