9663DCPRO not booting 1/3rd of the time.

Vamtok

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a 19 Tacoma. Using the cigarette lighter to power it. Sometimes it doesn't boot up. Have tried multiple boot delays. Works fine if I pull it out and plug it back in.

Am I doing something wrong?

Could be a flakey connection inside your cigarette port. Do you have another port to test short term?

Could be a flakey memory card, so you have a spare micro SD card to test? A failing card could potentially cause startup issues

Another test would be to replace the rear cable with the spare that came in the box as a test. Just leave it dangle loose since you don’t want to be removing trim etc just for the test. You could also leave the rear cable unplugged all together for awhile as another short test to rule out a possible rear camera connection issue.

Temperature shouldn’t be an issue but how cold is it getting where you’re at? (Any patterns of when it happens?)

I had a single channel SG camera that was funny like that too, but i resolved it by re-flashing the firmware ( at that time i don't think i had flashed it once )
you can do some simulated power up / down in the house with the front camera unit, and a wall USB charger if you have that, that is what i do testing cameras on my computer table.
Have you tried to "jiggle" the power plug slightly in the cigarette lighter socket when it have failed to start, you could have a issue with the power source too, that get momentary solved unplugging and plugging back in.
The factory SG power supplies normally do fine, but even the best can make a boo - boo now and then.

Maybe also for a while try to give the 12 V plug a push into the socket before you turn the key, if that solve the problem it might be a seating problem there, or a build problem in the same place.

I have experienced plugs coming loose myself, but this was in 3 X extenders and not my car factory plug on the center console, but the 3 SG power supplies i currently have plugged into that 3 X extender work flawless.

Don't think you do anything wrong, more inclined to think you have gotten a gremlin in the deal or one pop up shortly after, either way SG dont tolerate those critters in their gear, so we just need to figure out what make most sense to do.
Replace your PSU - replace the whole package ASO

As Jon say memory card could also be the culprit, i have owned memory cards that have died on me scary fast, so that can happen.

So if you could do some static testing at home with just the front unit on a wall charger, that would be nice. ( simulate start ( stop by plugin in the USB plug and unplug it a little later from the camera, i would try 5 minutes on - 5 minutes off )
If you don't have that option, try in the car without the rear camera connected for a few days and see how that go, if that work fine it might be the cable to the rear camera or the rear camera itself.
As Jon say you can try to slide the rear camera off its mount, use the other cable in the package and then just put that and the rear camera plugged in over the sun visor to have it out of the way when driving.

Also as Jon say, if you have another memory card to try, almost anything will do, try that and see how that go. If you don't have a spare card maybe run H2testw on the card that came with the camera using a PC and the provided little card reader.

A little annoying, but the guys will get you sorted.

Have a 19 Tacoma. Using the cigarette lighter to power it. Sometimes it doesn't boot up. Have tried multiple boot delays. Works fine if I pull it out and plug it back in.

that's the included cig power lead you're using yeah?

if you disconnect the rear camera does the behavior change at all?

@Street Guardian USA
I do not have another port or sd card to test with right now. I will try the rear cable swap, I was waiting a bit to make sure no issues before I pulled the trim and hid the wires so that won't be any trouble. If that doesn't work I will try no rear camera for a few days. Temperature hasn't been too bad, 45-70 F the past 2 weeks. I haven't had it fail on the first drive of the day yet. It's typically been if I go into the grocery store or a doctor appointment etc and come back out and start it up. It isn't 100% of the time though, about 50%. It worked 100% of the time the first 4-5 days I had it, and I was doing multiple truck starts in short periods during that time.

@kamkar1 I don't have any compatible USB cables but I will buy one to try this as a last physical resort. I will give a firmware flash a shot if the physical stuff doesn't work. I don't think there is any available for download yet though, unless the 9663DC firmware also works on the PRO? I have tried jiggling and rotating it in the socket, and I've pulled it out a little bit and done the same, and pushed it back in without any results. It only works when I completely pull it out and shove it back in, almost like it needs the circuit to be null before it can try again.

@jokiin Yes I am using the cig power lead that came in the box. I have not tried disconnecting the rear camera yet. I will keep you updated.

Thank you guys for all your help.

All the USB wall chargers i have i can use any USB wire on i like ( mini / micro ) but it is mainly the mini i use.
The one i use the most are actually the charger for a Samsung galaxy 2 phone

Am I doing something wrong?
I am having the same problem but I have hardwired it using the kit. When I unplug the power cable I need to wait for the record light to go out before I plug it in again or there is no change in starting. It will either not start at all or more usually the cameras come on (display) but no recording (Flashing record button) or turn off screen after 1 min as programmed.

Last edited:
Installed latest firmware to utilize connection to moto g7 phone sg9663dcpro v1.16

what memory card are you using?

have you tested with the cig plug power supply?

make and model of the vehicle and which circuits have you tapped for B+ and ACC, and where is it grounded?

2019 Honda passport touring, I tapped into 2 empty acc slots one permanent power other switched. Both Tested with meter, grounded to fuse box ground. Plugged in Cig Lighter only temp to se if it turns on then went back to hard wire and works for 3 or 4 times before error. 128gb provided card when purchased

Jokiin want to know what card ( brand colors ) as SG had bad luck with a batch of Trancend cards, which they are replacing as the fail for people.
And they have sold their cameras with a range of memory cards, so they cant tell for sure from ( card provided with purchase )

Which fuse slots, need the name or number and which fuse panel, your car is CAN-BUS so it's not as straight forward as older cars

Which memory card make and model is it you have?

I am thinking ( i know ;) )
Maybe dashcam PSUs need canbus cheating,,,,, thingies like some LED bulps ASO have.

I am thinking ( i know ;) )
Maybe dashcam PSUs need canbus cheating,,,,, thingies like some LED bulps ASO have.
It's not as simple as that unfortunately, many circuits are ECU controlled and their function can change, it's different on each vehicle type also, there's no one standard in use, it does cause some headaches at times that's for sure

Ok, let us know the details of the circuits you are using when you get a chance so I can have one of our techs look into it

Sorry for the delay, fuse slots 12 and 42 on inside panel A, Not sure which is powered and which was switched any more.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-26 ATGS1919OM PDF.png
    Screenshot_2020-01-26 ATGS1919OM PDF.png
    493.5 KB · Views: 7
Back