A Beginner’s Guide to Installing the SG9663DC Hardwired for the 2013 Prius V (Gen 3 Prius) - Basics apply to any hard wire vehicle install

Thanks for the awesome write up. I hate that rubber tube. How hard did you pull on the wire going through that? I don’t want to strip or break any wires within that rubber tube. It also looks like you folded the cable? Doesn’t it make it way too thick?
You're welcome! If you are talking about the rubber grommet tube, yes, that was a HUGE pain. When I carefully pulled the cable through, I used LOTS of liquid soap as a lubricant. I kept pulling carefully, a little bit harder, until it finally went through. I made sure as best as possible that I wasn’t digging into the existing wires. (Honestly, and I don’t care what kind of flak I get, I seriously considered getting it done professionally at this point. But I was already almost finished with the installation. At the same time, it did feel great to have done it myself!)

The cable was a bit long in the hatchback area. The cable was NEVER crimped where I doubled it up. It was a bit thick, but it worked, barely...

The dash cam setup is still working great; I’m keeping an eye open for firmware updates.

If you are talking about the rubber grommet tube, yes, that was a HUGE pain. When I carefully pulled the cable through, I used LOTS of liquid soap as a lubricant.

The key is lube -- like most things in life!

Went to Home Depot and bought this stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-19-oz-Foam-Wire-Pulling-Lubricant-51100/205360844

It's awesome. Used a little bit on the zip tie to get it to the other side, tied the cable around it and secured with electrical tape and then sprayed the inside of the rubber tube and around the cam wire. Slid right through with a little massaging of the tube. Took about a minute from start to finish.

Thanks!

Part IX. Conclusion

This was quite an education and workout (the garage was hot, even at night) for me as an electrical DIY project with my Prius V. I took care to make sure what I was doing was safe and that I knew that what I was experimenting with had a high success rate. The most difficult part (aside from all the researching) was completing the wiring to the rear camera. I was tempted to get a professional to do it, but I decided to finish what I had started.

Everything in my vehicle is still working. Nothing has caught on fire and the battery has not died. My cell phone can still do a full rapid charge with the cigar lighter as a power source.

The dash cam is working great so far; I’m very happy with it. It’s terrific in the day; at night during the right conditions I can read the plates if a vehicle is right in front and travelling slowly. That’s to be expected for 1080p recording for what I consider to be an upper mid-tier dash cam.

The hard-wire kit is still undergoing firmware updates at this time of writing, but it functions well in parking mode at 1fps for 10 minutes. I’m getting to the point where I want to let it operate on its own, but I still check for firmware updates. Hopefully the WiFi features will be updates as well.

I may update this guide if necessary. If you are new to installing anything in your vehicle and what to give it a try, best wishes and stay safe. Hopefully you will learn something like I did and enjoy the results as well.

Edit: Many thanks to the forum members in the credits for their help with improving this guide and my dash cam setup. I have relocated the ground and rewired the rear cable, switching the ends and passing it through the grommet.

Take care and stay healthy!
Striker
Thanks! Excellent tutorial.

I have followed this guide for my regular Prius 2014 with one exception - I have routed my rear view camera cable through the bottom of the car, under the plastic thing that is just below the door.
I didn't want to route through the top like it's shown in this guide because when airgabs engage, whoever is in the car might get face slapped with the camera cord at a very high speed. Not sure how likely it is, the camera cable is not loose, it's held on both ends, tucked into car interior, but I just didn't want to take chances. You are supposed to somehow tuck the cable *behind* the airbag and secure it in place with tape or whatever so that it doesn't move in front of airbag, but all I can really do is shovel it into the gap between two panels and pray it doesn't fall off out of it, nevermind even seeing any airbags and securing the cable behind them. So the floor routing is the safest bet for my dumb ass.

Note that you will need to buy a separate 8m cable off SG if you want to route through the floor, the included 6m is 70-120cm short.

Last edited:
Thank you for this great write up. I am installing in my Camry and the pictures you have of tapping in the fuse box were perfect. Fuse box is a bit different, but how to use the fuse tap is the same.

What crimp tool did you use in this step?
Part IV. Set Up the SGDCHW (the Hard-Wire Kit)​
3. Attach the end fuse connectors of the kit to the red (ACC) and yellow (Battery +) wire.​

Hi. I am a newbie here and am having a problem connecting rear camera. When I used the provided cables to connect the rear camera to the front camera/main unit, I am not seeing any picture-in-picture view like is shown on this page. Is there some configuration setting that needs to take place with the rear camera or do I have a defective unit?

no config required, check with the second cable to rule out a cable issue, if there's a camera issue we will get it sorted for you

Back